Why does BBC1 News not just use the News 24 presenter?

Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,390
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why does the BBC News 24 presenter not just present the BBC 1 News bulletin?

Tonight Martine Croxall gets shunted out of her seat to present BBC News 24 between 2200 and 2210 from a standing position next to a pillar while Rita Chakrabarti moves into her seat to present 20 minutes of news on BBC 1 which is also transmitted on News 24.

Martine's doing a 3/4 hour shift then Rita comes in for a few minutes before Maxine comes back again to take us through to midnight.

How must Martine feel when Rita just does a few minutes before pissing off home?

Same goes for Sophie Raworth, she's another part-timer.

Comments

• Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Its the news at 10, you can't have these unknowns.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These part timers who do less than 20 minutes work probably get paid 100x times the amount the full timers get paid too.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know that the presenters only do half hour shifts?
    They will be in earlier to discuss running orders, meet with editors.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do use the News channel presenters at certain times of day like lunchtime at weekends. I suppose they would argue a separate presenter is needed as the longer bulletins require more preparation.I hear Chris Eakin is leaving the News channel shortly.It hasn't been called News 24 for quite a while now but don't worry about that.
  • Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Its the news at 10, you can't have these unknowns.

It's the News at Ten past Ten on a Saturday night.

Actually Rita is finished by 10.25. So it's only 15 minutes of 'work'. Work which is completely indistinguishable from what Maxine has been doing all night.

More than that, the News 24 presenters do some live interviews with guests unlike the part-timers on BBC1 who are just reading the script during their 15 minutes of fame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HaHa Running Orders? It's just the same running order as the main News Channel. The bulletins are the same as they've been doing all day on the News Channel. The only difference is they transplant in a new face for a few minutes.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member

Sadly, people still think that newsreaders turn up 5 minutes before the show goes on air and leave immediately after
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bbc One bulletins timed at 5 past / 10 past the hour annoy me, as the poor NC presenter has to kick off the TOTH from the desk, go to a report & move to the side of the set while its playing.

Why cant the National presenter kick off the hour instead?

Shame if Chris Eakin is leaving.

I met his sis in law once.

(Chris is Bbc Coventry's Clive Eakin's brother. Clive's wife is former Midlands Today presenter Bernadette Kearney, now a teacher I believe!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, people still think that newsreaders turn up 5 minutes before the show goes on air and leave immediately after

Why would Rita not leave immediately after? Her work is done for the night.

Does she need time to cool down or something?
    Forum Member
    Why would Rita not leave immediately after? Her work is done for the night.

Does she need time to cool down or something?

Maybe she has other duties away from the screen? I'm sure she hasn't turned up at 22:05 and left at 22:35.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1 bulletins need to have a fairly familiar face, viewers wouldn't like it if the bulletins were done by a random selection of any old newsreader who just happens to be doing the news channel shift that night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she has other duties away from the screen? I'm sure she hasn't turned up at 22:05 and left at 22:35.

Aye, that's right. She has other duties. LOL. I wonder what those can be on a Saturday night. She reads the news then when she's finished reading the news it is time to go h
    home. Her shift is done. See ya later. Keep up the good work Maxine. I'm off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    BBC1 bulletins need to have a fairly familiar face, viewers wouldn't like it if the bulletins were done by a random selection of any old newsreader who just happens to be doing the news channel shift that night.

On a Sunday they let the News Channel presenter read the lunchtime news. Chris Eakin did it last week without breaking sweat. His ten minute BBC1 bulletin was identical to his News Channel segments.

Viewers, I'm sure, weren't complaining about him appearing on BBC1 with his 'unfamiliar face'.

The celeb newsreaders(part-timers) don't do Sunday lunchtimes.
    Forum Member
    Aye, that's right. She has other duties. LOL. I wonder what those can be on a Saturday night. She reads the news then when she's finished reading the news it is time to go h

Do you seriously think she got up out of her house for 30 minutes work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you seriously think she got up out of her house for 30 minutes work?

Where did I say that? Oh, that's right I didn't.
    Forum Member
    Where did I say that? Oh, that's right I didn't.

No you're right you didn't. You said:

How must Martine feel when Rita just does a few minutes before pissing off home?

When she hasn't just done a few minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you're right you didn't. You said:

When she hasn't just done a few minutes.

Yes, she only does a few minutes on camera. Probably about 5 in total given the time taken up by reports.

She probably spends a few hours perfecting her word order but she adds NOTHING over and above what the News Channel presenter has been doing all night. Maxine's still on btw. She's done some interviews as well as 2 newspaper review segments and getting on for 5 hours sitting in the same seat Rita sat in for 20 minutes or so.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rita turns up 1 hour before her shift in her chauffeur driven, gold plated Rolls Royce, has a bath of asses milk in her personal luxury bathtub, does a wee bit of news reading, then has a 1 hour binge of coke and booze before being flown off the roof of Broadcasting House in her private helicopter to overnight in St tropez.

All paid for by you Op, by YOU!! You must be livid.

Disclaimer: Some of the above may not actually happen.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would it even matter to you if she did do 30minutes of work and then went home? Why are you offended by it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a de-brief after the bulletin which the newsreader is expected to attend. But then nothing to stop her going home I suppose as she has presumably worked an eight-hour shift coming in around 2 pm.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the BBC News 24 presenter not just present the BBC 1 News bulletin?

Tonight Martine Croxall gets shunted out of her seat to present BBC News 24 between 2200 and 2210 from a standing position next to a pillar while Rita Chakrabarti moves into her seat to present 20 minutes of news on BBC 1 which is also transmitted on News 24.

Martine's doing a 3/4 hour shift then Rita comes in for a few minutes before Maxine comes back again to take us through to midnight.

Same goes for Sophie Raworth, she's another part-timer.

Here we go again assuming Rita comes in for 20 minutes the goes home again how naive people are and how long ago did "News 24" cease to exist.

Don't you think Martine might actually like a break now and again or do you think all employees should just work, work, work with no toilet break or have a drink?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At weekends the ''back'' half-hour is a recorded programme so the presenter has plenty of time to go to the toilet and powder his/her nose.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, she only does a few minutes on camera. Probably about 5 in total given the time taken up by reports.

She probably spends a few hours perfecting her word order but she adds NOTHING over and above what the News Channel presenter has been doing all night. Maxine's still on btw. She's done some interviews as well as 2 newspaper review segments and getting on for 5 hours sitting in the same seat Rita sat in for 20 minutes or so.
    Have you not considered that Martine would be happy to have a few minutes break, do you expect her to sit there for hours on end without having anything to eat, drink or being able to go to the toilet?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Have you not considered that Maxine would be happy to have a few minutes break, do you expect her to sit there for hours on end without having anything to eat, drink or being able to go to the toilet?

I just don't get these people who think because someone presents for 10 mins they arrive 5 mins beforehand then go home after the show ends:confused:

We have this drivel appear ever few months, there is a newsroom behind them which needs work doing, the show doesn't create itself, the presenter will have briefings about the bulletin well before it is broadcast, make up, clothes to put on, microphones to fit, sound testing etc.
  • SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    The best bit is that bit is that Martine is the better presenter, and would therefore make a better programme. The late shift every other Saturday on the news channel is presented by any number of freelancers, normally Gavin Grey or Chris Rogers, maybe the BBC could save money by having Martine on the news channel and BBC1 one week and Reeta the next.
    The one o clock news on weekdays should also be presented by a news channel presenter, preferably Simon McCoy or Jane Hill, and the 6 and 10 should be presented by the same presenter, either Huw Edwards or Fiona Bruce.