Options

Eastenders - Shirley is her own worse enemy!

HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
Forum Member
✭✭✭
WTF was that near the end of the episode, bringing Dean into the Vic when she knows what problems it will cause it's like, she likes hurting her family and Mick, I just wish we can have a break from this never ending drama, Shirley is selfish as f*ck and clearly doesn't give a sh*t about any one but herself,

the whole caring about Dean is more about her ego, she was a crap mother and doesn't want her child to be a rapist cause it reflect badly on her when she knows deep down it the truth.

Comments

• Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Kinda hard to have any sympathy for her when she insists, repeatedly, on making everything about herself and behaving like a child and then complaining about poor her when it backfires.

Bring Dean into the Vic was disgusting - Linda has bent over backwards to get Mick and Shirley to reunite even with Shirley repeatedly attacking her, and she marches him into her home?
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was her father's funeral and she was entitled to be there (as was Dean even if he is a rapist).
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    It was her father's funeral and she was entitled to be there (as was Dean even if he is a rapist).

He was entitled to be in the church not the pub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Kinda hard to have any sympathy for her when she insists, repeatedly, on making everything about herself and behaving like a child and then complaining about poor her when it backfires.

Bring Dean into the Vic was disgusting - Linda has bent over backwards to get Mick and Shirley to reunite even with Shirley repeatedly attacking her, and she marches him into her home?

Yes, Linda tries so hard and she just throws it back in her face.

I'm not talking about the funeral, I'm talking about bringing Dean into the Vic when she knows what will happen, bringing him into Mick and Linda's home goading and lauding it over them, what kind of sick person does that?
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dean was not entitled to be in a pub , why would he be entitled to that ?
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think Shirley genuinely, at this point, believes Dean's innocent and now the charges have been dropped, it further emphasises the belief in his innocence and that he should be able to get back to normal. I don't think she was 'lauding' Dean over them, because she doesn't believe he has done anything wrong. She may even be in denial but she can't disown Dean, if she did and he was innocent, then she would have lost her son, again.

I would judge her more, if she did know and still insisted on taking him into the pub, like Phil did with Ben when he came out of prison.

Linda may be trying to piece the family back together but Shirley sees her as the woman who almost ruined her son's life. Imagine if Linda had lied, the reactions from viewers would be in support of Shirley, it is often forgotten that Shirley doesn't know what we know. However, having said that - the writing has been fairly inconsistent between some of the characters involved.

I just want Shirley to find out now, her association with Dean isn't showing her in her best light. Nor Buster. And I want to see s&b without Dean. Shirley needs to be away from Dean but I don't think he is leaving anytime soon.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Why didn't she go then? I'd have had some respect for her if she'd turned up at the funeral but no because she is incapable of doing the right thing and of course there was much more misery to be had if her and the rapist are already installed in the Vic when the family return :(
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley is fantastic and by far the best Carter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Shirley is fantastic and by far the best Carter.

I agree! She is so watchable, and complex. She definitely stirs up strong reactions, which is what TPTB want from a character. By far the best Carter.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why didn't she go then? I'd have had some respect for her if she'd turned up at the funeral but no because she is incapable of doing the right thing and of course there was much more misery to be had if her and the rapist are already installed in the Vic when the family return :(

I think she was trying to show solidarity to Dean by not attending, they showed her looking cut up about not going when everyone else was leaving the square. I guess she believes Dean is the victim in all this. Her reaction when the truth comes out will be interesting and I look forward to the Shirley/Linda scenes. But alas, it seems it will be later rather than sooner as Matt DA is still filming. I don't see how they can drag it out any longer mind you!,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I agree! She is so watchable, and complex. She definitely stirs up strong reactions, which is what TPTB want from a character. By far the best Carter.:D

She knows Dean raped Linda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could watch Shirley all day and never get bored of her. Like you said, she's really complex and that's what you need from an EastEnders character. Shirley is bitter, and takes no shit off anyone. She's standing by her son after years of being apart from him, and let's face it, there's no evidence that Dean raped Linda, so I think Shirley isn't really doing anything wrong. Besides, even if you do hate Shirley, you just have to admire Linda Henry in the role, she's fantastic! IF Linda ever leaves, it will be a HUGE loss to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She knows Dean raped Linda.

Does she?:confused:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think she was trying to show solidarity to Dean by not attending, they showed her looking cut up about not going when everyone else was leaving the square. I guess she believes Dean is the victim in all this. Her reaction when the truth comes out will be interesting and I look forward to the Shirley/Linda scenes. But alas, it seems it will be later rather than sooner as Matt DA is still filming. I don't see how they can drag it out any longer mind you!,

She's entitled to do that but installing herself in the Vic, drink in hand flanked by Dean and Buster waiting for when everyone returned was like a very, vary nasty challenge.

I sincerely hope when all this comes out that Mick and Linda will never speak to Shirley again. She has dealt with this appallingly and she doesn't deserve any reconciliation with Mick. I know this won't happen but it should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does she?:confused:.

He was caught out in the lie on front of her plus she got Lola away from him. She knows but is in deniaL. Looking forward to her having to apologise to poor Linda.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true. Alcohol is Shirley's worst enemy. :p
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley heard there was a free bar so decided to get in early.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was caught out in the lie on front of her plus she got Lola away from him. She knows but is in deniaL. Looking forward to her having to apologise to poor Linda.

She may be unsure, either way there's unfortunately no solid evidence and she's going to want to keep Dean either way. I really can't find much to moan about when it comes to Shirley. I find her entertaining and interesting, unlike Nancy & Lee who should be axed, considering they do absolutely nothing, other than stand side by side, stating 'OI, what's going on with mom and dad?', etc... A bit off point, but I really like Shirley and I think the Carters treat her really badly at times, and Linda has always been vile to her. Poor Linda when it comes to Dean, I agree with you. But, when it comes to Shirley, no way. IF Linda was lying, Mick would still defend her if he was none the wiser, even if he wasn't 100% sure, and Shirley is doing the same with Dean. If the truth does come out then yes Shirley should apologise, but Linda was always vile to Shirley long before any of this happened.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Shirley's dad dies, her boyfriend pays for the funeral and people think she has no right to attend :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She may be unsure, either way there's unfortunately no solid evidence and she's going to want to keep Dean either way. I really can't find much to moan about when it comes to Shirley. I find her entertaining and interesting, unlike Nancy & Lee who should be axed, considering they do absolutely nothing, other than stand side by side, stating 'OI, what's going on with mom and dad?', etc... A bit off point, but I really like Shirley and I think the Carters treat her really badly at times, and Linda has always been vile to her. Poor Linda when it comes to Dean, I agree with you. But, when it comes to Shirley, no way. IF Linda was lying, Mick would still defend her if he was none the wiser, even if he wasn't 100% sure, and Shirley is doing the same with Dean. If the truth does come out then yes Shirley should apologise, but Linda was always vile to Shirley long before any of this happened.

Shirley is an utterly fascinating character but this is why I hate this storyline. >:(

She was always unpleasant to Linda but they were actually getting along until Dean >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member

Up until her son raped Linda the Carters treated Shirley very, very well. They gave her a home, a job and allowed her some status and considering she burned down their pub Linda treated her amazingly well.

Shirley has always been selfish and after undeserved sympathy. I believe she knows what Dean did but chooses not to face up to it. However leaving that aside she still used the whole situation to try to get Mick to leave Linda. She'd have been in 7th Heaven then having her sons around her at the Vic and she wouldn't have cared less what happened to Linda :(
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Shirley heard there was a free bar so decided to get in early.

Cue the entrance of mo mouse and his signature line: "Shirley is a two-bit lush who belongs in the gutter" :D.
    I do miss him :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Shirley's dad dies, her boyfriend pays for the funeral and people think she has no right to attend :confused:

No one is saying that, it's about bringing Dean to the vic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Cue the entrance of mo mouse and his signature line: "Shirley is a two-bit lush who belongs in the gutter" :D.
    I do miss him :(.

Come over to the dark side TK, Mo mouse a plenty ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think she did and like I've already said she'd have gained some respect from me if she had BUT she didn't. She decided to swerve it and go straight to the wake :kitty: