Vanessa Feltz wants more kids.

Comments

• nationwide232nationwide232 Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45 is a bit too old to safely have a baby.
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member

Why?

My mum was 43 when my sister was born, she and my sister were perfectly healthy, and that was back in the mid 60's when amniocentesis tests etc weren't known about.

If anything Vanessa's age and experience will make her a better mum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women just can't win can they?? they are either a "lard arse" or a "stick insect".
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    Women just can't win can they?? they are either a "lard arse" or a "stick insect".

And if a bloke weighs 19 stone, has a face like a bag of King Edwards and can shag 10 different women in one night it's a case of 'Ooh, he's a real stud!' ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member

My mum was 45 when my brother was born. She always said it was the easiest of her 3 pregnancies and the shortest labour. My friend from twins club had a set of twins at 42 and a set of triplets at 51. As long as the woman is fit and healthy then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woowookid wrote:
    Why?

My mum was 43 when my sister was born, she and my sister were perfectly healthy, and that was back in the mid 60's when amniocentesis tests etc weren't known about.

But Vanessa is 45 and as far as I know, she would not start trying for a kid until she's married! My mum also had my youngest brother a few weeks before her 42nd birthday and they are both still very healthy to this day. Having said that, the risk of complications and having a not-so-healthy child are far increased in women over 40! It's a medical fact and has nothing to do with whether or not she would be a better mum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there been a similar discussion about 45 (ish) Demi Moore??
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there been a similar discussion about 45 (ish) Demi Moore??
    Is she broody too??!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was almost 40 when my second child was born.
    My sister-in-law was 46 when her first was born last summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woowookid wrote:
    Why?

The main concern you face as you age is that your risk of conceiving a baby with a chromosomal problem goes up every year. For example, the risk of having a baby with Down syndrome rises from about 1 in 759 at age 30 to 1 in 302 at age 35, 1 in 82 at age 40. Also the older you are when you get pregnant, the more likely you are to have a chronic disease, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, that may be undiagnosed and can affect your pregnancy.
    You're also at higher risk of developing certain complications during pregnancy such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, placental abruption (in which the placenta prematurely separates from the uterine wall), and placenta previa (in which the placenta lies low in the uterus, partly or completely covering the cervix).

What's more, research shows that your chances of having a low-birthweight baby (less than 5 1/2 pounds) or a premature delivery increase with age. Some studies show that older women are more likely to need pitocin during labor, and most studies show a significantly higher rate of delivery by cesarean section.

Taken from here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

She'll probably need more scans and be offered tests but there is no reason on earth why she can't have a healthy baby.

My husbands aunt had her younest daughter when she was 49 and everything was fine. Her daughter is now in her 20s and she's a fit, active, healthy 70 something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main concern you face as you age is that your risk of conceiving a baby with a chromosomal problem goes up every year. For example, the risk of having a baby with Down syndrome rises from about 1 in 759 at age 30 to 1 in 302 at age 35, 1 in 82 at age 40. Also the older you are when you get pregnant, the more likely you are to have a chronic disease, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, that may be undiagnosed and can affect your pregnancy.
    You're also at higher risk of developing certain complications during pregnancy such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, placental abruption (in which the placenta prematurely separates from the uterine wall), and placenta previa (in which the placenta lies low in the uterus, partly or completely covering the cervix).

What's more, research shows that your chances of having a low-birthweight baby (less than 5 1/2 pounds) or a premature delivery increase with age. Some studies show that older women are more likely to need pitocin during labor, and most studies show a significantly higher rate of delivery by cesarean section.

Taken from here

That still means 81 out of every 82 40 years olds will not have a baby with Downs. The good thing is that you're offered more tests and you're more prepered.
    My sister had her daughter at 29 and she was born with Downs. My sister wasn't offered any tests as she wasn't considered at risk whereas I had my son at 36 and he was a strapping 8 pounder and, in fact, he was born 13 days late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote:
    That still means 81 out of every 82 40 years olds will not have a baby with Downs. The good thing is that you're offered more tests and you're more prepered.
    My sister had her daughter at 29 and she was born with Downs. My sister wasn't offered any tests as she wasn't considered at risk whereas I had my son at 36 and he was a strapping 8 pounder and, in fact, he was born 13 days late.

Of course that's the case, the same way that some teenagers also have babies with Downs! In recent months, we've heard of no less than 2 women in their 60s having healthy kids. Having said that, the risk of complications increases with age. This is all posters here are saying as far as I can see!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote:
    Of course that's the case, the same way that some teenagers also have babies with Downs! In recent months, we've heard of no less than 2 women in their 60s having healthy kids. Having said that, the risk of complications increases with age. This is all posters here are saying as far as I can see!

The main comment people seem to be replying to is this one
    45 is a bit too old to safely have a baby

I agree it *can* be more of a risk but it certainly isn't too old to safely have a baby imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote:
    The main comment people seem to be replying to is this one

I agree it *can* be more of a risk but it certainly isn't too old to safely have a baby imo.

Well your opinion doesn't matter because your not an expert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And you are then Dr Winston?

I know several women who have had healthy babies at the age of 45 and over so it obviously isn't too old for everyone is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every opinion matters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote:
    And you are then Dr Winston?
    No, im not but I'd rather trust an expert than your opinion.
    newwoman wrote:
    I know several women who have had healthy babies at the age of 45 and over so it obviously isn't too old for everyone is it?

Well again, saying I know someone who was fine and she is over 40 etc, isn't very scientific is it? Granted there are some women that are fine but what I said was that the incidence of problems is higher and women over 40 are at greater risk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, im not but I'd rather trust an expert than your opinion.

Well again, saying I know someone who was fine and she is over 40 etc, isn't very scientific is it? Granted there are some women that are fine but what I said was that the incidence of problems is higher and women over 40 are at greater risk.

Would you trust an ex midwife who regularly looks after women over 45 who have healthy children?! Yes it CAN be more risky and yes there CAN be an increased risk of chromosonal abnormalities and birth complications but I have seen as many younger women have the same complications in pregnancy. Genetics and family history play as big a part in it as anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're all really singing from the same hymn sheet ;)
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Would you trust an ex midwife who regularly looks after women over 45 who have healthy children?! Yes it CAN be more risky and yes there CAN be an increased risk of chromosonal abnormalities and birth complications but I have seen as many younger women have the same complications in pregnancy. Genetics and family history play as big a part in it as anything.

I'm not letting my other half read this- I have 2 boys (10 and 12) from when I was married and he doesn't have any kids and is broody and I have told him I'm too old (I'm 41). I simply can't bear the idea of all those sleepless nights, potty training etc ....
  • Lorri LouLorri Lou Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG just let her get on with it, if no one condemns Des O'Connor for having a kid in his 70s then why up in arms about Vanessa. A case of one rule for men and another for women.

Would rather see her responsibly reproducing rather than younger women like Kerry Katona and Britney Spears popping them out on the way back to rehab.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorri Lou wrote:
    OMG just let her get on with it, if no one condemns Des O'Connor for having a kid in his 70s then why up in arms about Vanessa. A case of one rule for men and another for women.

Would rather see her responsibly reproducing rather than younger women like Kerry Katona and Britney Spears popping them out on the way back to rehab.

I wasn't aware that men could get pregnant! You learn something new everyday on DS ;)
  • nextloislanenextloislane Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people to whom the term 'vacuous' is applicable. Feltz, with a double first in English literature is not one of them.

Irritating yes, vacuous, no.

and it was at cambridge as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I have to say I am astounded by some of the earlier posts making quite offensive comments re Vanessa's size.. No wonder girls are starving themselves aspiring to be size zero when people are out there with that kind of mentality :rolleyes: