Gadget that can unlock cars remotely

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
Forum Member
✭✭
Bear with me....

Over the past couple of weeks 5 cars on my street have been broken into. In all 5 cases the cars were intact (i.e not smashed windows) but were all found unlocked the following morning. Mine was included in this 5. We only realised it had been broken into when we went into the boot and found something missing as we'd come out of the house and pressed the central locking so didn't realise it was already unlocked.

Now the police have investigated these and say in all the cases we "must have left the cars unlocked".

I find it hard to believe I left mine unlocked as I'm so careful to put on steering lock and check the doors but for 5 separate houses to all have left their cars unlocked is highly unlikely.

Someone said there is a gadget you can buy online (presume illegal) that can unlock any car remotely. Anyone know if that is true?

The cars were all different - VW Polo, new Beetle, new mini, Ford Focus.

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    I recall reading about a device which could capture the radio signals used by a remote to unlock a car, and replaying that captured data to unlock the car later.

But I understand that most modern remote systems cycle the code so that capturing an instance of the code is no use, since the system uses a dfferent one next time.

Intriguing.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that there is a gadget available (although not on the high street) that can 'capture' the code from your keyfob as you lock the car (it picks up the RF signal as long as it is within a certain range), and then uses that code (via a laptop computer) to work out the correct frequency and code sequence to open your car.

It would appear that whoever is doing this lives fairly close (as its five cars in the same street), yet they are not interested in the cars themselves, merely the contents. I suppose the short answer until you get to the bottom of it, is to leave absolutely nothing in your car when it is unattended.
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disconnect the battery once you have locked the car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats odd...I thought that that kind of breaking into a car takes ages with a laptop etc.
    Time to get some webcams set up or something, you might catch someone in the act!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Hey, this happened in my dads street, a wireless doorbell was found to be the culprit, someone pressing the button several times just before the owner locked their cars.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can buy them. They have been around for ages,
    They have been unlocking cars with them for ages.

There called coat hangers. :D
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused:
  • KamiKami Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch "gone in 60 seconds" movie. Probably nothing like the one they use in it but same idea I think!
  • accordaccord Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can do this with a simple mobile phone
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    accord wrote: »

D'oh, I have just bought a complicated one, so no point in trying to unlock my car with it, I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:

OK, full instructions below (you will need one 10mm spanner)

Park up outside house
    Pop the bonnet catch
    Get out of car and lock with keyfob
    Go to front of car and lift bonnet
    Identify where the battery is and unbolt the negative terminal with the spanner.
    Remove cable from battery and place nearby
    Put spanner in pocket and lower bonnet until it locks.

Job done
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... so how do you open the bonnet again if you can't unlock your car to get in to release the catch?
  • peteroddanpeteroddan Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use the key?
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Urban myth.

Why not just use the key to lock the car then there is no code to grab.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

Not any more.

In the early days of remote locking, you could use capture devices. I don't think it's that straightforward any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peteroddan wrote: »
    Use the key?
    :o didn't think of that... I do have an excuse though - my car solely relies on the central locking to lock and unlock the vehicle, with no keys at all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Without being cryptic (since I don't want this to become a thieves guide) you always could open centrally locked cars without a key or a coathanger using something quite simple.

The interesting bit here is that the cars are a mixture of ages(?) and so some, logically, must have factory fitted alarms yet none went off? curious
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its pretty weird - the latest one that was done was outside a house that has CCTV so the thief has been seen on there. Going to speak to Community officer this week as we can't all be muppets....I hope.

I'm not sure any of us had alarms..perhaps the Mini but it didn't go off if they had one (will check)

Thanks for all replies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would doing that not disable the radio until you reprogram it?
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drdaws wrote: »
    Would doing that not disable the radio until you reprogram it?

Yes it would. Not only that but you would lose many other settings clock etc. plus it would affect the little computer which makes your engine run sweetly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fortytwo wrote: »
    Yes it would. Not only that but you would lose many other settings clock etc. plus it would affect the little computer which makes your engine run sweetly.

Mine has no radio, nor engine management system. (and who cares about the clock when you have a mobile phone ?)
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, full instructions below (you will need one 10mm spanner)

Park up outside house
    Pop the bonnet catch
    Get out of car and lock with keyfob
    Go to front of car and lift bonnet
    Identify where the battery is and unbolt the negative terminal with the spanner.
    Remove cable from battery and place nearby
    Put spanner in pocket and lower bonnet until it locks.

Job done

Not very practical though is it? :confused: