Options

Survivor: Torchwood Characters Round Ten

Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,444
Forum Member
Thanks to everyone who voted in Round Nine :)

Half of you voted for Barry Williams this time around, making him first in the queue for the exit. Close behind with nominations from 45% of you is Mary Cooper whilst we have a three way tie in third place between:-

+ Lynne Pierce
+ Brenda Williams
+ Ghostmaker

who all polled votes from 25% of you. But, as always, in the event of a tie it's cumulative votes that count so the Ghostmaker joins the queue for the exit.

Well done to Shinyteapot who was the only person who managed to nominate all three evictees

None of the evicted characters were part of anyone's Predictions on the first leaderboard so this remains unchanged.....

Prediction Leaderboard (All Characters)

01) 8 Predictions Left

+ allison_bm
+ carefactornil
+ clever chick
+ dgembadgemba
+ Eowyn W

+ GillP
+ kazzabee
+ KrisHayward
+ kp2ni
+ lolly-licker

+ Muttley 76
+ Shineyteapot
+ solamenn
+ solgang
+ syramu

+ Tigger-Roo
+ Tumpy
+ u5e10
+ Verence

20) 7 Predictions Left:

+ gogfumble

However on Leaderboard 2 one person Predicted the Ghostmaker so....

Prediction Leaderboard 2 (No Recurring Characters)

01) 5 Predictions Left

+ allison_bm
+ clever chick
+ dgembadgemba
+ Eowyn W
+ Muttley 76

+ Shineyteapot
+ syramu
+ Tumpy

09=) 4 Predictions Left

+ solamenn
+ solgang
+ Tigger-Roo
+ Verence

+ u5e10

14=) 3 Predictions Left

+ gogfumble
+ kazzabee
+ KrisHayward

Here's the question for this round:

Season One of Torchwood saw the team comprised of 5 people. At the end of Children of the Earth there's just Captain Jack and Gwen left.

i) How many people should make up the Torchwood Team for Season Four?
ii) Would the new team members be new characters? If so suggest, age, gender and possible background for new characters.
iii) Would any of the new team members be characters we have seen before? If so, name them and state reasons why you've chosen them to join the team.

As with the last round you need to pick which of the four characters listed below you like the least then post your votes on this thread or send them to me via PM. The three with the most votes will be evicted from the game. If you'd like any that aren't evicted to roll forward into the next round all you need to do is type "auto" with your votes & any that have Survived will automatically roll forward into the next round. In the event of a tie-break cumulative votes will be taken into account.

So, it's on with the game then. Time to pick your four least favourite characters from:-

Recurring

01) Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman)
02) Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles)
03) Toshiko Sato (Naoko Mori)
04) Ianto Jones (Gareth David-Lloyd)
05) Rhys Williams (Kai Owen)

06) Owen Harper (Burn Gorman)
07) PC Andy Davies (Tom Price)
08) Suzie Costello (Indira Varma)
09) Bilis Manger(Murray Melvin)
10) Captain John Hart (James Marsters)

11) Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman)
12) Little Girl (Skye Bennett)

Series 1

13) Small Worlds: Estelle (Eve Pearce)
14) Small Worlds: Jasmine Pierce (Lara Phillipart)
15) Small Worlds: Lynn Pierce (Adrienne O'Sullivan)
16) Countrycide: Evan Sherman (Owen Teale)
17) Countrycide: Helen Sherman (Maxine Evans)

18) Out of Time: Emma (Olivia Hallinan)
19) Out of Time: John Ellis (Mark Lewis Jones)
20) Alan Ellis (Sam Beezely)
21) Captain Jack Harkness: Captain Jack Harkness ~ The Captain (Matt Rippy)

Series 2

22) Sleeper: Beth Hallaran (Nikki Amuka-Bird)
23) To the Last Man: Tommy Brockless (Anthony Lewis)
24) Reset: Aaron Copley (Alan Dale)
25) A Day in the Death: Henry Parker (Richard Briers)
26) Something Borrowed: Brenda Williams (Nerys Hughes)

27) Adrift: Nikki Bevan (Ruth Jones)
28) Adrift: Jonah Bevan (Robert Pugh)
29) Fragments: Emily Holroyd (Heather Craney)
30) Fragments: Alice Guppy (Amy Manson)
31) Fragments: Alex Hopkins (Julian Lewis Jones)

32) Fragments: Katie Russell (Andrea Lowe)

Series 3

33) John Frobisher (Peter Capaldi)
34) Clement McDonald (Paul Copley)
35) Brian Green (Nicholas Farrell)
36) Bridget Spears (Susan Brown)
37) Alice Carter (Lucy Cohu)

38) Steven Carter(Bear McCausland)
39) Lois Habiba (Cush Jumbo)
40) Johnson (Liz May Brice)
41) General Pierce (Colin McFarlane)
42) Denise Riley (Deborah Findlay)

43) Rick Yates (Nicholas Briggs)
44) Colonal Oduya (Charles Abomeli)
45) Rupesa Patanjai (Rik Makarem)
46) Rhiannon Davies (Katy Wix)
47) Johnny Davies (Rhodri Lewis)

48) Anna Frobisher (Hilary Maclean)

The deadline for your votes for this round is 8pm on Tuesday 02nd November

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Ghostmaker, especially as it acted as a springboard for Julian to be cast as Davros in DW.

Anyway, as Meatloaf would say two out of three aint bad!

So old votes:
    Katie Russell (Andrea Lowe)
    Brenda Williams (Nerys Hughes)

New votes:
    Helen Sherman (Maxine Evans) - good, but not as strong a character as Evan
    Lynn Pierce (Adrienne O'Sullivan) - I really love her last scene with Jack, but as we move in to characters I like more I find her the weakest left.
  • Options
    kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi - my votes for this round are:

Small Worlds: Lynn Pierce (Adrienne O'Sullivan)
    Countrycide: Evan Sherman (Owen Teale)
    Countrycide: Helen Sherman (Maxine Evans)
    Something Borrowed: Brenda Williams (Nerys Hughes)

Bit disappointed at the Ghostmaker going so soon as I thought he was the best of what turned out to be a disappointing episode. And like Muttley says turned out to be a superb Davros.

Regards
    Karen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Here are my votes :

18) Out of Time: Emma (Olivia Hallinan)

As for the questions...

i) I think four or three character is good and a reasonable number, unless they want to move to a wider scale with an ensemble cast stories (à la Joss Whedon), in which case it could be very interesting to have six persons, just like when Martha was with the team in series 2.

ii) Tricky question : to me the character is only as interesting as the writer writes him/her, whatever the sex, age or ethnic group ;)

iii) I'd like to see Lois back. She was an interesting character, she took time convincing which proves that there could be layers in her character to be explored. And I liked the actress.

Thanks Rita !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    8) Anna Frobisher (Hilary Maclean)

Feel a bit difficult answering questions as I've written a post CoE story anyway here goes

I think there should be 5 or 6 in team. This allows for busy times.

I have Jack and Gwen remaining (and in my world Ianto because I can but I don't expect him back in the real one). I added Johnson because I found her interesting and thought she was unlikely to fall for Jack's charms! Also added 2 characters of my own - a female doctor (American recommeneded by Martha with her own problems) and male tech expert (local, tall and importantly ginger haired - under represented I think! Wanted him local as he knows the area and has local police contacts)
    RTD if you're reading - I wish.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    13) Small Worlds: Estelle (Eve Pearce)
    14) Small Worlds: Jasmine Pierce (Lara Phillipart)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    51) Adrift: Jonah Bevan (Robert Pugh)
    21) Small Worlds: Lynn Pierce (Adrienne O'Sullivan)

35) Alan Ellis (Sam Beezely)
    67) General Pierce (Colin McFarlane)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    32) Fragments: Katie Russell (Andrea Lowe)
    41) General Pierce (Colin McFarlane)
    44) Colonal Oduya (Charles Abomeli)
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12) Little Girl (Skye Bennett)
    20) Alan Ellis (Sam Beezely)
    29) Fragments: Emily Holroyd (Heather Craney)

AUTO please RK

Thank you
  • Options
    KrisHaywardKrisHayward Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countrycide: Helen Sherman
    A Day in the Death: Henry Parker
    Adrift: Jonah Bevan
    Fragments: Alex Hopkins
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old:
    10) Captain John Hart (James Marsters)

21) Captain Jack Harkness: Captain Jack Harkness ~ The Captain (Matt Rippy)

New:
    Well, the time has come. While researching and re-researching some of the other characters, I decided that this character was rather flawed and limited by Barrowman's acting, especially when compared with some of the other characters. What was initially a very intriguing character for me became in series 2 someone who instead sometimes took me out of the moment. His performance in series 3 was much better, but the damage had been done. I expect this vote will carry me through for quite some time. :D

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    syramu wrote: »
    New:
    Well, the time has come. While researching and re-researching some of the other characters, I decided that this character was rather flawed and limited by Barrowman's acting, especially when compared with some of the other characters. What was initially a very intriguing character for me became in series 2 someone who instead sometimes took me out of the moment. His performance in series 3 was much better, but the damage had been done. I expect this vote will carry me through for quite some time. :D

*gets out the pitch fork*

;)

eta: looking at your votes it all becomes clear...you are captainaphobic! :p
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    31) Adrift: Jonah Bevan
    35) Fragments: Katie Russell
    17) Countrycide: Helen Sherman
    15) Small Worlds: Lynn Pierce
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still:
    Colonal Oduya
    Small Worlds: Lynn Pierce
    A Day in the Death: Henry Parker

New:
    Something Borrowed: Brenda Williams

As for the question, I think a clean slate would be good, new characters. CoE did set up an obvious candidate but I think she was lacking for me so I'd rather they found new people. If it had to be anyone coming back I'd go with Captain John.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    22) Sleeper: Beth Hallaran (Nikki Amuka-Bird)
    23) To the Last Man: Tommy Brockless (Anthony Lewis)
    25) A Day in the Death: Henry Parker (Richard Briers)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3/3 Woohoo! :D:D

Down side is it's getting harder to choose, I'm starting to vote for characters I thought were good.

Round 8:

New:
    25) A Day in the Death: Henry Parker (Richard Briers)- he was a believable character, but his main purpose was a (good) death scene, he wasn't around long enough to make too much impact
    26) Something Borrowed: Brenda Williams (Nerys Hughes)- she was more memorable than the other parents, but still doesn't stand up to most of the other characters left.
    29) Fragments: Emily Holroyd (Heather Craney)- I liked Fragments, but the other characters- including her partner- stick in my memory rather more than she does. While the brief 'oh, so workplace romance was a Torchwood tradition before Jack' moment was amusing, it's not enough to keep this character in compared to the others that are left!

As regards a new Torchwood team, I think the best thing is to start from the roles they really need filled (in my opinion) and go from there. There needs to be a leader, thus far that's been Jack (and if he doesn't return, it shouldn't be Gwen as I'm not convinced she would be able to make the tough decisions, her purpose was to be 'normal'), a technical/comms expert, a medic and a weapons expert (I think Susie was one? Either way it seems a useful role) at the very least would be my setup, probably adding a couple of ancilliary staff too.

It would be nice if, since in this universe the general public are fully aware of aliens and Cardiiff citizens at least know the least unobtrusive secret agency ever are based in their area, Torchwood got some visiting staff every once in a while. Academics interested in studying the aliens or the technology for a start. Be interesting to have some psychologists and/or neurologists talking about how exactly alien brain chemistry/structure and hence information processing/thoughts could differ from ours. They could start by studying the weevils :)

It would be nice to see a greater age range in the team (I know Jack is actually pretty old but he neither looks nor acts it), it would make for a more interesting dynamic I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »

;)

I don't ususally comment on people's choices but all the Captains! I suspect you will be voting all 3 for a while.
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

;)

Ha!

As regards a new Torchwood team, I think the best thing is to start from the roles they really need filled (in my opinion) and go from there. There needs to be a leader, thus far that's been Jack (and if he doesn't return, it shouldn't be Gwen as I'm not convinced she would be able to make the tough decisions, her purpose was to be 'normal'), a technical/comms expert, a medic and a weapons expert (I think Susie was one? Either way it seems a useful role) at the very least would be my setup, probably adding a couple of ancilliary staff too.

I never thought of it this way, but yes, I agree that Gwen should not be leader since she's fulfilling a different kind of role. I think she and Jack should return, and Lois Habiba should join them. I really liked Lois.

Maybe PC Andy could join and be the "normal" one while Gwen is temporary leader? But I think we need someone on the police force, so I don't really like that idea....

I'm not sure what direction Torchwood will take. With only Jack left from before Gwen's tenure, and he may not even be there (right away, if at all), it really changes the show. Whatever they do, they definitely need to add a medical expert, because they're forever ending up injured.
    Tumpy wrote: »
    I don't ususally comment on people's choices but all the Captains! I suspect you will be voting all 3 for a while.

All the easier for me to choose from round to round. ;)