Bauer Place changes

Comments

• Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sad news to impart is that Rod Webster, Radio Borders' first MD and who was discussed earlier in this thread, has passed away just a few weeks short of the station's 25th anniversary. :-(
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    listening wrote: »
    Better solution - Place 1 - Radio City
    Place 2 - Radio City Gold
    Place 3 - Radio City Extra

No need to include frequencies because in the longer term the FM & AM networks would be phased out.

Other than maybe calling the 3rd network City Hits, I agree. Radio Clyde, Clyde Gold and Clyde Extra/Hits works too. And they could've more easily mentioned part of the name on air.

An article on the demise of local music programming on MFR http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Whats-On/Music/Netsounds-Talk-11-On-the-death-of-local-music-in-commercial-radio-17122014.htm
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Tweet @thehitsofficial" the listeners are told.

What is the plan when the station gets renamed in Scotland and northern England? Will people be told to tweet an account with the local name, will the station be referred to by its old name when tweets are being requested, or will presenters be told to use their own accounts like In Demand does?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would go for frequency i.e 103 /97.4 /96.7 City FM and 1152 /1548 City AM and City Hits

I would not want to promote the AM frequencues as AM is a really diabolical way to listen to hit music on the radio as the quality of reception is terrible.

AM and LW radio is stuck in the dark ages. We will be the odd man out very soon where every other country in the world has shut dowm both AM and LW yet we are still using them as major radio platforms which will be truly embarassibg.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only embarrassing to radio geeks. Normal people are happy listening on AM to stations like Magic, 5 Live, Absolute Radio and TalkSport. If the Absolute Radio audience had migrated, they wouldn't still be giving DAB radios away every day.
  • radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listening wrote: »
    Better solution - Place 1 - Radio City
    Place 2 - Radio City Gold
    Place 3 - Radio City Extra

No need to include frequencies because in the longer term the FM & AM networks would be phased out.

just being a little pedantic but radio as we know it will be phased out ..... all that modern technology stuff also am /fm will be here for a while
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Dave Campbell's last show on Magic tomorrow, set your timers! Hope it's a good last chart at two, be great if he picked HIS favourite. Gonna be a sad afternoon.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is he moving on to?
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is he moving on to?

I doubt even he knows.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Campbell's last show on Magic tomorrow, set your timers! Hope it's a good last chart at two, be great if he picked HIS favourite. Gonna be a sad afternoon.

I remember him from his time at Leicester Sound. Good presenter
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1975 for the last show today. It is really a pity. Dave is a breath of fresh air. I doubt if his replacement will be as good.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presenters on Magic seem to have a fair say in the music they play, at least that seems the case with Mike Read, Tony Blackburn and Ray Rose. Ray plays some great music that wouldn't be amiss on the old Bob Harris Radio 2 shows from a few years ago, mixed with more commercial tracks.

I wondered if Dave Campbell may have chosen 5 of his favourite years for the chart rundown at 2pm each day this week. Obviously he's being trusted to do a week of 'final shows', normally in the world of wireless the presenter would have been told not to come back in fear of any on air comments.

The current daytime line-up on Magic, Nick Wright, Dave Campbell and Ray Rose has been one of its best in the time I've been listening to this version of Magic - since 1997. I used to enjoy the predecessor of Magic - in this part of the world - Great Yorkshire Gold and didn't see the need to change that, Magic 1161 started with less of the 'gold' music than GYG but over the years went back to playing more of the gold hits. Will just have to wait and see what the new Viking 2 sounds like in a couple of weeks time.

Incidentally, Nick Wright was there at the start of Magic 1161 as one of the local presenters, when it was just Magic 1161 and Magic AM in the new 'network', Magic 828 was there but still in their own format and not part of the 'group' as yet. Nick also seems to be there at the end of Magic too. Not sure if he's been there all 17 years or so but still a good run.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
  • xtralargeanorakxtralargeanorak Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I didn't hear it myself, but someone has posted on 'The Ian Roberts Radio Show' Facebook page that Ian's last breakfast show on Magic (north west England) will be Christmas Eve. I hope it's a wind up and Ian will be back on Key 2, City 2 and Rock 2 or whatever they will be called in the new year. Does anyone have any more information on the line up, particularly for the north west of England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    This would be quite tragic if it weren't funny. Bauer senior management have made a monumental cock-up in the lead up to launching the new schedule which starts early in 2015.
    As you know, loads of freelance presenters and some full-time staff have had their contracts terminated as from the end of the year and will finish with Bauer on December 31.
    The new schedule is due to start from January 5th and it's only just dawned on senior Bauer management that they don't have enough people left to do all the programmes they need to broadcast between the 1st and the 4th.
    For that reason they have had to approach some of the people whose contracts they terminated and have asked if they would be willing to help them out of their predicament. Some of these approached have unsurprisingly told Bauer to get lost!
    This kind of cock-up doesn't exactly fill anyone with confidence that Bauer senior managers know what it is they are doing.
  • xtralargeanorakxtralargeanorak Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    "This would be quite tragic if it weren't funny. Bauer senior management have made a monumental cock-up in the lead up to launching the new schedule which starts early in 2015."

... and they deride internet 'bedroom broadcasters' like myself! At least our hearts are in it! It's like the suits at the media giants would be just as well running a sausage factory!
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would be quite tragic if it weren't funny. Bauer senior management have made a monumental cock-up in the lead up to launching the new schedule which starts early in 2015.
    As you know, loads of freelance presenters and some full-time staff have had their contracts terminated as from the end of the year and will finish with Bauer on December 31.
    The new schedule is due to start from January 5th and it's only just dawned on senior Bauer management that they don't have enough people left to do all the programmes they need to broadcast between the 1st and the 4th.
    For that reason they have had to approach some of the people whose contracts they terminated and have asked if they would be willing to help them out of their predicament. Some of these approached have unsurprisingly told Bauer to get lost!
    This kind of cock-up doesn't exactly fill anyone with confidence that Bauer senior managers know what it is they are doing.

Bauer won't be worried, its sad but although a few will tell them to stuff it most would act as if nothing has ever happened in hope that they get some cover work in the future. Its sad but sadly theres that little work they would be happy for the extra gig.

I agree though if this is true some senior management need a kick up the backside. There announcements of of late are also very very strange, it seems pretty much everyone in the company is now a Director of something.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole 5th January thing is strange, it is only 2 1/2 weeks till Magic 105.4 goes national, Forth 3, Tay 3, Key 3 etc all launch and the AM stations all get the 2 treatment, yet here we all are, with no public announcements other than the original press release from months ago.

Do all the FM stations keep their name, or do they all change to having a 1 in their name?

The AM stations, no one seems to have a clue what presenters is staying, although there is plenty speculation on who is going, mainly down to mentions on air from the presenters themselves.

The 10 hour local thing, can Bauer use a back door to stay within this, by say, having a show from Glasgow between 6-10 at night that is also broadcast to the "2" stations down south as well and either have a 2am-6am show from Glasgow with a presenter or would a automated show played out from Clyde be enough to count as local, if that was done along with a Scottish breakfast show this would take the local hours to 12, but even if the English AM stations took the 6-10pm and 2am-6am Glasgow output they would still be well over the 10 local hours as well.

How about the "3" stations, will this simply be a rebroadcast of The Hits Radio, or will there be any local input other than jingles/sweepers, do shows such as In Demand that The Hits and Place 1 broadcast stay on both or will these new "3" stations have a brand new beef up schedule that doesn't take any of the current Place 1 programming.

On my local multiplex (Dundee/Tayside), we had the bizarre moment of now having 2 Absolute 90s, yet no place holders for Tay 3 or Kisstory (i believe that is launching on DAB here), considering Magic 105.4 is launching on Digital 1 and with Christmas arriving complete with DAB radios being given as presents (we have just given one to my partners parents), it surely would have made sense to have made the various changes just before Christmas, so Ab90s is on local DAB with Magic on National and Place 3 on Local DAB playing out a launching on 5th January message, Kisstory is already on air on Freeview so why not just add it the local multiplexes now like they did with Ab90s.

How many people are going to get out their new DAB on the 25th tune it in and not have a clue about the retune that some radios will need a week later, as depending on how technically minded some people are, who to say these radios haven't been set up by relatives on the 25th.

Will be interesting to see if there is any movement before the 25th or if all these changes will happen on or just before the 5th January, personally it would make more sense (to myself anyway) to have at least labels up on DAB so all these DAB radio Christmas presents are all properly tuned in come the stations launches, relaunches, additions etc at the start of the year.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    "Tweet @thehitsofficial" the listeners are told.

What is the plan when the station gets renamed in Scotland and northern England? Will people be told to tweet an account with the local name, will the station be referred to by its old name when tweets are being requested, or will presenters be told to use their own accounts like In Demand does?

It used to be @thehitsradio, if you look back at tweets the @thehitsofficial is fairly new @tweet name change, does seem a bit strange if The Hits is supposed to be morphing into the new local "3" stations, or maybe this is their way of having one Twitter account instead of one for each Place 3 name.

I have noticed that The Hits Radio name has been dropped from various show names, where it was The Hits Radio Breakfast, it is now the generic Darryl Morris In The Morning, maybe coincidental, but does seem to be a weird time to be changing show names and twitter accounts if apart from (according to RadioToday) The Hits brand will still be on freeview, The Hits on DAB is about to be morphed into the local 3 ones.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The various format changes approved by Ofcom say The Hits will become 'City 3' etc on 19th January 2015, but the one for Forth 3/Edinburgh says 5th January.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The 10 hour local thing, can Bauer use a back door to stay within this, by say, having a show from Glasgow between 6-10 at night that is also broadcast to the "2" stations down south as well and either have a 2am-6am show from Glasgow with a presenter or would a automated show played out from Clyde be enough to count as local, if that was done along with a Scottish breakfast show this would take the local hours to 12, but even if the English AM stations took the 6-10pm and 2am-6am Glasgow output they would still be well over the 10 local hours as well.

4 hour breakfast show and 6 hours automation overnight would surely satisfy the 10 hour rule.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at Radio Today, the schedule has been on there for an hour
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More Scottish output than was feared by some up here, doesnt seem too bad.
  • ste2010ste2010 Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just hope the format won't change to there being very little chat by the presenters. We don't want another Smooth type set up.