107.8 Academy FM Thanet

Hi all,

Has anyone listened to 107.8 Academy FM Thanet at all? It's been broadcasting on the Isle for around 4 and 1/2 years or so now.

There have been a few changes made including Mike Stevens retiring and Pete Willson getting the boot, I'd love to know people's opinions on the station.

The music mix is very varied, and with a new management structure that has included Dave Sharp becoming General Manager for Folkestone and Thanet, and the appointment of Bob Mower as Programme Manager, things've certainly changed since 2010.

Also, there is now a student called Tom Brooks who is presenting Breakfast permanently, with Bob on Mid-Mornings and a mixture of Horace, Si Kennett (ex-Kmfm) and a lady called Maeve Stankiste (ex-BBC Radio Essex) on Drivetime.

The popular Howard Evans sadly passed away earlier this year, and in the wake of the management change, I should imagine that this year has probably been the most challenging for the station.

You can listen on 107.8 FM in the Thanet area, or online on the website - www.academyfmthanet.com.

Comments

• GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to listen when it first started but have not done so for some time now as in my opinion they started to play a lot more modern stuff and neglecting the over 40's.

I do dip in every now and again, but always have the same opinion so don't listen for very long.

I was very much in favour of this station when I first heard that it was to be launched as KMFM is abysmal and plays the same records in all the areas it covers at the same time. I want variety and a station that is LOCAL.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be in radio forum.
    also wonder if its a bad frequency to use as its close to Chelmsford Radio 107.7 & KMFM 107.9 I just get these where I am.
    How good is the signal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a weak signal as there are areas in Thanet where you have to manually tune into it. An automatic tune sometimes misses is because the signal is not so strong.

I think they are only allowed to broadcast to a very small area, hence the poor signal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I believe that according to their Ofcom license that they can only operate on around 25W of transmission power, some of which must surely be lost in the mast, hence the poor signal.

I'm good friends with a few ex-TLR jocks, and they told me that when they launched that they had around 125W, in comparison.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I briefly worked for this station and enjoyed my time there, its a very close nit station in the Marlowe Academy so it gives students a chance too. Howard (RIP) gave me the chance after he heard me doing some shows on internet radio stations, I will always think highly of him for giving me a go on the station.

Overall its good, most of the music is not to my taste if I'm honest but they do cater for all ages which is why it has a good following. It is the only true local station in Thanet and gives up to dare info whereas others like KMFM and the like don't even touch this area. I say keep up the good work guys and I'm sure the change around will only help it grow and give others that much needed chance.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so when did Pete Willson leave the station.
    as i cant find any news about this online.
    so now the station is being run under the station manger as the sister station.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    so when did Pete Willson leave the station.
    as i cant find any news about this online.
    so now the station is being run under the station manger as the sister station.

Pete left in May. Well, left/was pushed. It wasn't published online or in the local papers as the terms that he left on were most certainly not amicable.

Essentially, the SM at Folkestone is overseeing both stations with a Programme Manager (Bob Mower) on the ground at Thanet. Both stations, however, are still run separately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Pete left in May. Well, left/was pushed. It wasn't published online or in the local papers as the terms that he left on were most certainly not amicable.

Essentially, the SM at Folkestone is overseeing both stations with a Programme Manager (Bob Mower) on the ground at Thanet. Both stations, however, are still run separately.

notice programme times are shorter and more non stop music and no dj, how long before networking starts with Folkestone.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this station now has a new look website as the old one use to crash a lot i think this was down to flash player. i also found this bit of info from they website.
    However, under recent changes by OFCOM we are allowed to take a certain amount of paid for advertising
    what do you make of this. i don't think this will hit KM-FM advertising on 107.2
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I'm near Minster so reception isn't that strong. This is the first community station I've encountered. Content is fair but sometimes repetitive. I find the music policy bizarre, a lot of 70s and early 80s tracks that other stations seem to avoid, doesn't really hang together for me. Often listen between 6 and 7 am and the presenter tries to talk over the intro up to the lyrics but often fails: I thought this style had outlived its use! Just play the whole track please!
    Proper local ads would actually make the station feel more local and relevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can receive it travelling to and from work at Canterbury in my car. A bit patchy here and there, but overall, listenable.