Radio 2 Christmas schedule??

13»

Comments

• FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,670
    Forum Member
    If he ends up a permanent fixture on Magic, and with today's news about Neil Fox it looks even more likely, I can't imagine him staying on Radio 2 at all. After all, they wouldn't let Tony Blackburn remain on Smooth if he wanted to take over PotP.

I actually thought it was Smooth that wouldn't allow him to do his weekend shows and be on Radio 2 not the other way around.

Richard will be a freelance broadcaster who takes the work where he can get it.

I'd imagine when he was contacted by Magic he was aware at the time that he would be on Radio 2 at Christmas and they agreed to let him take 2 weeks off over Christmas & New Year. It now looks like he'll return to Magic on 5th January.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I actually thought it was Smooth that wouldn't allow him to do his weekend shows and be on Radio 2 not the other way around.

I'd imagine when he was contacted by Magic he was aware at the time that he would be on Radio 2 at Christmas and they agreed to let him take 2 weeks off over Christmas & New Year. It now looks like he'll return to Magic on 5th January.

Nice holiday then :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sevrin wrote: »
    I thought Tony having to give up Smooth to do POTP was because Smooth was then a national station. Tony does a show on Magic 1161 on Sunday.

Global only like there freelancers working for certain stations, and the BBC isn't one of them :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Years Eve from 10pm

Tony Blackburn leads Radio 2's New Year's Eve celebrations, with a selection of upbeat soul hits from the past 50 years.

New Years Day from 2pm

Tony Blackburn plays 3 hours of songs, most of which you should recognise and all of which failed to make the UK top 75 at their time of release.
  • GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    New Years Eve from 10pm

Tony Blackburn leads Radio 2's New Year's Eve celebrations, with a selection of upbeat soul hits from the past 50 years.

New Years Day from 2pm

Tony Blackburn plays 3 hours of songs, most of which you should recognise and all of which failed to make the UK top 75 at their time of release.
    Didn't he do this before? Is it a repeat? I'm sure that's the same show he did last year. Still, beats Wright any day...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't he do this before? Is it a repeat? I'm sure that's the same show he did last year. Still, beats Wright any day...

I think it was UK number 2 songs which failed to make no 1. Something like that.
    Forum Member
    New Years Eve from 10pm

New Years Day from 2pm

Tony is also hosting the BBC Local network show 7pm-10pm on NYE so it's a straight 6 hours for Tony across the BBC on NYE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Chris won't be back until 12th Jan as Sara is covering from the 5th after Richard Allinson has been covering the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Chris won't be back until 12th Jan as Sara is covering from the 5th after Richard Allinson has been covering the show.

A nice three week break! Also shows that Allinson covering was a contractual two weeks. That will be his last I think!
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Global only like there freelancers working for certain stations, and the BBC isn't one of them :D
    Hardly. Considering Smooth was owned by GMG at the time.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »

In these situations I think it depends on who you are, how popular a presenter you are and how valuable the deal is to you ( on either side). Allinson for example is more or less out the door from Radio 2 anyway and having him on both stations will not impact either one. Lets face it he will hardly take a following with him and cost Radio 2 listeners.

Tony on the other hand does have a following (suprisingly) and he is quite high profike in radio terms so it could have an impact on audience and revenue.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a new show (although it will most likely be a rehash http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v6cwv i had a listen to my recording of last january's show and it was a good listen so it should be well worth a listen:)
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice three week break! Also shows that Allinson covering was a contractual two weeks. That will be his last I think!

Yep have to say the same, it also highlights that it was bollocks when the R2 bosses were saying "he will continue to deputise on the network"

Of course he will...
    Forum Member
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    Yep have to say the same, it also highlights that it was bollocks when the R2 bosses were saying "he will continue to deputise on the network"

Of course he will...

I would imagine their hands were forced when he took up the role at Magic but they surely can't expect Richard to just sit by the phone waiting for Mr Evans to call in sick.
  • danjamesdanjames Posts: 327
    Forum Member

Chris is back on Thursday 8 January according to the Radio 2 website schedule, still a long break.
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Years Eve from 10pm

New Years Day from 2pm

Sounds like the sort of show Paul Gambaccini should do as most are likely to be major American hits. Shame that Paul doesn't have any specials to make up for lost airtime. Looking forward to his hits of the year show though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to hear Richard back on Radio 2 from Monday. It's been such a long time since he's been on the radio. Wonder what he's been doing?;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Sounds like the sort of show Paul Gambaccini should do as most are likely to be major American hits. Shame that Paul doesn't have any specials to make up for lost airtime. Looking forward to his hits of the year show though.

That History of Radio series he did a few Christmases ago was excellent.