Options

Snails & Slugs

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There everywhere round my parts (not private :D) on the footpaths, grass you name it. where are they all coming from? looks like an invasion :eek:

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were about 100 snails on the grass the other day!

I hate them as well :cry::cry:

Give me spiders or creepy crawlies any day over slugs and snails. Eurgh.
  • Options
    LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're fascinating, I love snails especially. Slugs are cool too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably to do with the badger cull
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Sofadude wrote: »
    probably to do with the badger cull

There are loads of snails and slugs in my garden, crawling up the outside of the house, and there is no badger cull in my area. The same thing happened last year.

If you want to avoid chewed plants, try putting down some bran a distance away from your plants. They love the stuff and will fill up on that and have no appetite left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Snails are cool, slugs are vile. Not sure why I feel differently about them. Maybe because I loved Brian in The Magic Roundabout.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I'll never understand why people are scared of slugs and snails! Snails especially are fascinating.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every night, a snail slithers around my office. It's pretty much guaranteed it will leave a slime trail around my desk, the wee bastard.

It does a bloody figure of eight, too.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »
    Every night, a snail slithers around my office. It's pretty much guaranteed it will leave a slime trail around my desk, the wee bastard.

It does a bloody figure of eight, too.

Probably a slug.

I keep getting slugs in the house. Leaving slimy trails everywhere, even on the ceiling. :eek: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll never understand why people are scared of slugs and snails! Snails especially are fascinating.

To be fair, most fears are fairly hard to understand if you don't have it. I can't understand why people would be scared of a tiny spider but loads of people are.

Back to slimy things, my parents have a slug that slithers round their kitchen leaving trails at night it's driving them mental, they never see it. :D:o
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love slugs and snails, especially snails. I do all I can to avoid stepping on them when there's been wet weather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I love slugs and snails, especially snails. I do all I can to avoid stepping on them when there's been wet weather.

Nothing worse than stepping on a snail :cry:

I have no idea why they freak me out so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Yeh we have loads too when it's dark. Where do they go during the day? Why don't they come out in the rain? I have so many questions about them.. lol
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    You just need some puppy dog tails and you can make a boy (or so I heard).

If you want a girl, it is much more difficult since you will need, sugar, spice (it doesn't specify which) and EVERYTHING that is nice, so good luck with that.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Get a hedgehog, badger or some newts/frogs - they will eat them up for you.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love snails. They have corkscrew willies, and when they have sex sometimes their willies get locked together and so they have to chew them off.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    The slugs all congregate round the riverside path here and feast on the dog poo..makes me gag in the morning.
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably a slug.

I keep getting slugs in the house. Leaving slimy trails everywhere, even on the ceiling. :eek: :mad:

We keep having a slug come into our kitchen at night, leaves a trail along the kitchen floor. Sometimes we catch it in the middle of the floor and pick it up with kitchen roll and stick back up the end of the garden. I have no idea how it gets back in.. And appears to come from either under my fridge freezer or tumble dryer..

I left a trail of salt though by the back door the other night so I don't think we'll have anymore slug visitors
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bastards congregate round my back door (not a euphemism) to the point that when I left the door ajar for the dog they were coming in. Snails I'll happily deal with but slugs turn my stomach.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Where do they live? :confused:
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than stepping on a snail :cry:

I have no idea why they freak me out so much.

Yes....yes, I'm afraid there is just one thing - and that's stepping on a slug, when you are barefooted. :eek:
    *vomits*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Yes....yes, I'm afraid there is just one thing - and that's stepping on a slug, when you are barefooted. :eek:
    *vomits*

I'd have nightmares for weeks if I did that. After I finished vomiting of course.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    This year's not been to bad I don't think. Last year they seemed much more prevalent.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I'd have nightmares for weeks if I did that. After I finished vomiting of course.
    IK, R? :cry:
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After our mass maggot infestation in my close last week they were munching on slugs! Never seen anything like it in my life! Was like a scene from dawn of the dead maggot/slug style
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After our mass maggot infestation in my close last week they were munching on slugs! Never seen anything like it in my life! Was like a scene from dawn of the dead maggot/slug style

Ewww you bugger!