The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Morning all

How did the scones turn out augusta? I've made some walnut and cranberry but never beetroot.

Feeling a bit better but plan to take it very easy this weekend. Trip to the chemist, library and supermarket and then back to bed!

O/H is taking Fridays off so at least there is someone else in the house. He is going to make chicken soup tomorrow night. Yeah!!!

Wonder if John has done his Christmas shopping - or started it at least. I don't know what I would do without the internet when I'm not feeling well.

Only 2 weeks til we meet. Let's hope we are all healthy!
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    scones were interesting, very pink , but the flavour seems to have improved with a couple of days....

ive just done my supermarket shop,,,,,its starting to feel as if its getting really expensive, just to do a basic shop......

leak on gas boiler has a temporary fix, and will be fixed properly on Wednesday....

and its raining....:-(

I need to find something cheerful to make me feel better!!
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Evening

busy day thought i'd get on with the xmas shopping
    i've only just started :blush:

sitting here watching the rugby, not feeling to good
    think i,m going to get a cold :(

missed strictly tonight, it clashed with to much good sport :D

going to read back now :D

hope all are good xxx
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Hi, it's been a busy few days here. Still trying to catch up on stuff that I've been putting off for far too long. Still can't face the oven, I must do it before Christmas. :(

I'd love to report that Christmas preparations are well underway, but I'd be fibbing :D, not a card bought, never mind written. :blush:

We're having a very quiet Christmas which suits us well this year. Looking forward to putting our feet up and doing absolutely nothing for a change. :)

This sentence has pleased me ........ no end
    i thought i was the only one, nice to know i,m not on my own :D

busy xmas here 12 for lunch....... well that was the last count :D
    i think yours sounds better :D
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Thank goodness I started Xmas early as after a trip to the asthma nurse I have been confined to the house - with lots of bed rest. On yet another course of oral steroids. Have drunk so much water I feel like a fountain. Really fed up!!!!

Hopefully the worst is over - according to the nurse - and I just need to rest. Luckily we are going away at Christmas so no food to do.

Take care, hope the nurse is right
    sending love and wishes x
    Forum Member
    I too love the Christmas season - love the stores and the food - do not like all the commercials though. . .

I'm going back to bed - will watch Masterchef etc in bed. O/H home so hope we have a really nice dinner.

I,m liking the Penguin commercial
    is it the John Lewis one :blush:
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio on the way home and heard someone describe beetroot and walnut muffins...so I had beetroot and walnut scones for dinner....

an interesting mix......but the pinkness of the scones was extremely offputting.....
    its so cold...winter is back with a vengeance.

hope everyone is feeling a bit better and a bit more cheerful, only one more day until the weekend.......

I can see how the pink would be off putting Augusta, i,m allergic to walnuts
    they make my mouth, blister and itch

very unpleasant...... never use to happen, think i've grown into it

hope you're having a good weekend :D
    Forum Member
    Morning all

How did the scones turn out augusta? I've made some walnut and cranberry but never beetroot.

Feeling a bit better but plan to take it very easy this weekend. Trip to the chemist, library and supermarket and then back to bed!

O/H is taking Fridays off so at least there is someone else in the house. He is going to make chicken soup tomorrow night. Yeah!!!

Wonder if John has done his Christmas shopping - or started it at least. I don't know what I would do without the internet when I'm not feeling well.

Only 2 weeks til we meet. Let's hope we are all healthy!

Have a good weekend Nyannie
    the chicken soup sounds lovely.

the internet is so helpful
    i,ve put in a large order today .........

hope you're feeling better
    so excited about our meet up :D
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Hi all :)

Just thought it might be an idea to check in!!! As ever, sorry I've gone AWOL recently. There just never seem to be enough hours in the day!

I have been working one day a week recently ( I do enjoy it) and have continued to spend, oh....30 hours approx a week looking after mum. Took younger daughter with me today and she got quite tearful afterwards ("nanny just needs so much care"). I seem to be getting almost hardened to it, though I know I'm not really ;-)

Good news on another front though .....older daughter has just got engaged! :D Her lovely fella proposed while they were on holiday, took the ring with him, the full works....aaaahhhh!!! :) So we may have a wedding later next year....no details yet to share.

Brilliant game of rugby today - Wales put up a good fight and it was a shame that the All Blacks' class showed in the end :( Now thinking about the Liverpool match tomorrow. We are worryingly low on points, need to turn things around :o

Must go now. Am looking forward to the lunch. Hope you'll still have me when I am such a rare poster........

Night all :)

Lindy xx
    Forum Member
    Morning all

Our MP is on Desert Island discs. Yipee

Congratulations Lindy on your daughter's engagement. Hope you are going to get some more help with your mother - it is so difficult I know. You will need more time and energy to plan that wedding.

Feeling a little bit better and hopefully will go to London tomorrow. Will take cabs so it will be very expensive. So fed up I've missed so much.

Off to finish the Sunday papers and have a bath. Take care everyone and have a good day.
    Forum Member
    why do the roads get so clogged up at this time of year?

I have had a nightmare travelling up and down the A 12 today. the mainline train was blocked at Chelmsford, so I think everyone took to their cars.

Actually its getting pretty unreliable trying to get into London from here, as the trains are so often not working properly. last week was dreadful as well. I don't know what the solution is.......but its likely to get worse :-(

Congratulations on your daughters engagement lindy. its lovely to have good things to celebrate. What a shame about your mum, it sounds as if you are now her full time carer, there must be a better solution somehow to care for our elderly.

just off to check emails etc....... back later...xxx
  • Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, after a little bit of brightness yesterday, normal service has been resumed - dull as ditch water here today. Could the sky BE any lower?? :(

Cats have cabin fever and are bouncing off the walls, chasing each other round the house and indulging in fisticuffs when one thinks the other has crossed the line.
    Twinkle has revealed a cardboard fetish, which means that any cardboard has to be picked and shredded to within an inch of it's life, resulting in mess everywhere. :o

O/h is off this week, using the days he was going to save for Christmas. He's now volunteered to work for three days, so now he'll be finishing early Christmas Eve, off for four days, work for three days, then off for four days. It means that those that have young families can have the week off which is nice for them, you need to cherish those moments while you can, they grow up so fast. :)

I've kept him busy, bless him. Bathroom is all painted, new towel rail up and he's busy building the new wall cabinet at the moment, ably assisted by Twinkle who is desperate to get her paws on the cardboard. :D

Off for a read back on the quiet, I'm supposed to be writing the shopping list. We've been putting it off since last Friday, we're getting very short on fresh supplies now so we have to go today. O/h has just asked if he could have bacon and eggs for lunch, he's going to have bacon sandwich as we've run out of eggs.
    Sshhh, don't let on, but I gave the last one to our fox last night. :blush:;-)
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all!

After a lovely day yesterday it is rainy and COLD!!! Feeling a bit better but very tired. Went out for coffee, hovered the living room and hall and went to bed for an hour

Wish my o/h would do some work around the house instead of making a steam engine which smells and affects my breathing - you cannot tell him anything though.

Just finished watching A PLACE OF ONE'S OWN. Really good Aussie drama.

Back to bed for me.
    Forum Member
    oh lena I love the idea of the last egg going to the fox..:-D

I have had a lovely lazy day today, going to aquaaerobics.....we had a new instructor today, who was interesting......not quite sure they had ever taught aqua aerobics before. but it adds variety..... and then lunch and coffee at my friends house..

why do I have to work as well ? It just interferes with my social life!! :-D
    Forum Member
    Morning........ getting over a bit of a cold
    i was tired so i took myself of to bed for a few days

need to get on with my xmas shopping, i can't do it all on the internet :blush:
    and i don,t want to really, i like looking around, hearing the christmas music,
    getting into the spirit of it all :D

going to read back now
    hope all are ok :D
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hi all :)

Just thought it might be an idea to check in!!! As ever, sorry I've gone AWOL recently. There just never seem to be enough hours in the day!

I have been working one day a week recently ( I do enjoy it) and have continued to spend, oh....30 hours approx a week looking after mum. Took younger daughter with me today and she got quite tearful afterwards ("nanny just needs so much care"). I seem to be getting almost hardened to it, though I know I'm not really ;-)

Good news on another front though .....older daughter has just got engaged! :D Her lovely fella proposed while they were on holiday, took the ring with him, the full works....aaaahhhh!!! :) So we may have a wedding later next year....no details yet to share.

Brilliant game of rugby today - Wales put up a good fight and it was a shame that the All Blacks' class showed in the end :( Now thinking about the Liverpool match tomorrow. We are worryingly low on points, need to turn things around :o

Must go now. Am looking forward to the lunch. Hope you'll still have me when I am such a rare poster........

Night all :)

Lindy xx

What wonderful new, now thats put a smile on my face
    Congrats to your daughter and to you
    on becoming a future Mother in law .... lol :D

as for Liverpool......... urghhhhh ..... no comment :(

so sorry about your mum, hope you get some help soon,
    it so hard looking after a elderly parent, i don,t think it the work, its the emotional toll,
    of watching them being so unwell. sending wishes xxx
    Forum Member
    why do the roads get so clogged up at this time of year?

I have had a nightmare travelling up and down the A 12 today. the mainline train was blocked at Chelmsford, so I think everyone took to their cars.

Actually its getting pretty unreliable trying to get into London from here, as the trains are so often not working properly. last week was dreadful as well. I don't know what the solution is.......but its likely to get worse :-(

Congratulations on your daughters engagement lindy. its lovely to have good things to celebrate. What a shame about your mum, it sounds as if you are now her full time carer, there must be a better solution somehow to care for our elderly.

just off to check emails etc....... back later...xxx

I agree with you..... why is it so bad
    the M25 the last few weeks has been a nightmare, if its not sinking and full of pot holes, its accidents all over the place. One night my son left
    work at 5.30 and he didn't get home until well after 8.
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Hi everyone, after a little bit of brightness yesterday, normal service has been resumed - dull as ditch water here today. Could the sky BE any lower?? :(

Cats have cabin fever and are bouncing off the walls, chasing each other round the house and indulging in fisticuffs when one thinks the other has crossed the line.
    Twinkle has revealed a cardboard fetish, which means that any cardboard has to be picked and shredded to within an inch of it's life, resulting in mess everywhere. :o

O/h is off this week, using the days he was going to save for Christmas. He's now volunteered to work for three days, so now he'll be finishing early Christmas Eve, off for four days, work for three days, then off for four days. It means that those that have young families can have the week off which is nice for them, you need to cherish those moments while you can, they grow up so fast. :)

I've kept him busy, bless him. Bathroom is all painted, new towel rail up and he's busy building the new wall cabinet at the moment, ably assisted by Twinkle who is desperate to get her paws on the cardboard. :D

Off for a read back on the quiet, I'm supposed to be writing the shopping list. We've been putting it off since last Friday, we're getting very short on fresh supplies now so we have to go today. O/h has just asked if he could have bacon and eggs for lunch, he's going to have bacon sandwich as we've run out of eggs.
    Sshhh, don't let on, but I gave the last one to our fox last night. :blush:;-)

Shame you didn't tell the fox
    he was having your husbands lunch
    i think Mr fox
    would of enjoyed it so much more :D

Twinkle sounds like a lovely handful as fetishes go....... i think it could of been
    so much more :D

Christmas does fall nicely this year, give everyone more of a break it being on a Thursday

have fun and keep that husband busy :D
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all!

After a lovely day yesterday it is rainy and COLD!!! Feeling a bit better but very tired. Went out for coffee, hovered the living room and hall and went to bed for an hour

Wish my o/h would do some work around the house instead of making a steam engine which smells and affects my breathing - you cannot tell him anything though.

Just finished watching A PLACE OF ONE'S OWN. Really good Aussie drama.

Back to bed for me.

its very cold Nyannie
    i,ve been walking around in my fleece pjs
    not the best look, but who cares
    the only people who get to see them is my family
    oh and perhaps the postman :D

take care xxx
    Forum Member
    What wonderful new, now thats put a smile on my face
    Congrats to your daughter and to you
    on becoming a future Mother in law .... lol :D

as for Liverpool......... urghhhhh ..... no comment :(

so sorry about your mum, hope you get some help soon,
    it so hard looking after a elderly parent, i don,t think it the work, its the emotional toll,
    of watching them being so unwell. sending wishes xxx

Thanks Georgy, we are thrilled too, so wonderful for our daughter to have found such a lovely man (mum says he's the lucky one......she's a proper grandmother, alright) . They seem to complement each other so well.... :D:D....They've bought a flat in S London, which is great, if a bit far from us.....it took us 3 hours to get home when we visited.....I would so love to be able to pop in but then I guess that's what Skype and FaceTime are for lol :cool:

You have as always hit the nail on the head regarding mum, the physical work would be easier, it's the emotional involvement that gets to me. She's doing okay at the moment though, has even gone to a lunch club today, so that's good :)

Liverpool play again tonight :o Have to say I'm not looking forward to matches at the moment, though I still watch as I don't want to be a fair weather fan!!!

Hope you and yours are well.

And.....hope to see you all next week!! :)

Lindy xx
    Forum Member
    im looking forwards to next week as well, it feel ages. since we all met up. ..

I love going round the shops doing my Christmas shopping, there were some lovely ideas in marks and spencer yesterday.
    Forum Member

I love going round the shops doing my Christmas shopping, there were some lovely ideas in marks and spencer yesterday.

Enjoy your shopping Augusta :)

I have had a curve ball thrown at me today.......I have a streaming cold :cry: and have had to spend all afternoon in bed :( Am knocking back the LemSips and hope to be better soon. I hate feeling ill :blush:

Keep well everyone :)

Lindy xx
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Thanks Georgy, we are thrilled too, so wonderful for our daughter to have found such a lovely man (mum says he's the lucky one......she's a proper grandmother, alright) . They seem to complement each other so well.... :D:D....They've bought a flat in S London, which is great, if a bit far from us.....it took us 3 hours to get home when we visited.....I would so love to be able to pop in but then I guess that's what Skype and FaceTime are for lol :cool:

You have as always hit the nail on the head regarding mum, the physical work would be easier, it's the emotional involvement that gets to me. She's doing okay at the moment though, has even gone to a lunch club today, so that's good :)

Liverpool play again tonight :o Have to say I'm not looking forward to matches at the moment, though I still watch as I don't want to be a fair weather fan!!!

Hope you and yours are well.

And.....hope to see you all next week!! :)

Lindy xx

So pleased your Mum is getting out and about ....... lunch club sounds
    wonderful, it will give her a chance to mix and chat

I think we should toast your daughter and Augusta"s at lunch, due to they have both had great things happen to them this year, your daughters engagement and Augusta"s
    getting her degree .

as for Liverpool i could see that coming in the last ten mins, i think we have forgotten
    how to win :D
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all.

Hope everyone is getting better - our meet is next week. Take care of yourselves and as the asthma nurse says - give in to it and REST!!!!!!!!

Just got back from the last bit of Xmas shopping - no one sells Portmerion China anymore so had to buy it from good old Amazon. Hope they send it out!

Going back to bed as I feel very breathy and dizzy. Really fed up not feeling well. At least the sun is shining now - need to wash the floors but will wait until this afternoon.

Reading another Donna Leon mystery. I really feel I know Venice after reading her novels.
    Forum Member

Its is ages Augusta,

popped out this morn, to get my secret santa gift,
    i shall slap my own wrist, i went over budget by 1 whole pound :o lol :D

so looking forward to seeing you xxx :D