Helen Flanagan posing with gun to head

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're welcome. Always glad to help. :D

But people have more chance of helping the alleged 5,500 children a day in Africa who die rather than children killed by guns in America every now and then.

... and none of these, as far as we know, were caused by pictures of guns.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    You're welcome. Always glad to help. :D

But people have more chance of helping the alleged 5,500 children a day in Africa who die rather than children killed by guns in America every now and then.

Well, indeed.

& I don't think anyone was failing to recognise the injustice of the world and that there are also children starving, being beaten and abused and mistreated 24/7.

No-one is suggesting that the massacre was 'caused by guns' or that Flanagan's posting of the pic was as insensitive as The Sun's reposting it.

But I am still upset by children being shot dead no matter what their socio economic background. If that offends your sensibilities and point scoring then frankly I simply don't care.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Possibly THE most dumbfounding post in the history of the internet.

Yes, people shoot people every day - but not on such a massive scale as this. & I think you must have a heart of stone not to be upset by young children being shot dead in cold blood for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I don't need the media to advise me that children being killed indiscrimanately is upsetting.

But I suspect you might just be trolling.

Eh, no, of course I was upset.. but things on an equally sad scale are happening daily .. but the media doesn't really report it!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeshEmpty wrote: »
    Eh, no, of course I was upset.. but things on an equally sad scale are happening daily .. but the media doesn't really report it!

But you did say that the only reason people were upset was because the media reported on it & 'told us' to be upset - as if the sheer fact of it wasn't upsetting on its own.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course!

Every day of the year 26 5 and 6 year olds and 8 of their teachers are killed by gun toting maniacs!

Get real for heavens sake.
    Forum Member
    Of course!

Every day of the year 26 5 and 6 year olds and 8 of their teachers are killed by gun toting maniacs!

Get real for heavens sake.

Did I say the exact same thing happens? no.. I said on an equally sad level..

You should see the type of stuff which happens in Mexico every day due to gangs.. there are numerous beheading videos online etc.. and much much worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I say the exact same thing happens? no.. I said on an equally sad level..

You should see the type of stuff which happens in Mexico every day due to gangs.. there are numerous beheading videos online etc.. and much much worse.

We aren't talking about what happens in Mexico. That's down to drug cartels. This is the US - a country in which rabid nutters are allowed to own guns, and the NRA virtually control Congress.
    Forum Member
    Your point is? :confused:

So why are those children any different from the children who died in america?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every death of a child is sad, regardless of their age or location. But this isn't a thread about that is it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. It's about a newspaper taking 1 picture, out of a set of 3, and trying to stir up controversy for the sake of selling papers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every death of a child is sad, regardless of their age or location. But this isn't a thread about that is it ?

I think it is.

Isn't it amusing(sarcasm) how much attention we give to the rich world and for the rest, relatively speaking: we give a f'uck about the rest.

The mass shooting in Newtown is a tragedy and would be examine in every corner of the world (exception maybe mexico) and from every ankle but like in the US for 24 hours a day and what's the outcome?

I have learned today that in the US every year 10.000 people die through gun shots. Thats impressive.

But is this the truth, that every day 5.000 children die in Africa and parts of Asia that is, well, much more impressive
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why are those children any different from the children who died in america?

I have two friends with cancer, Do you think I only feel sad about one?
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fuss about nothing.
    She should have said "innocent mistake no offense it was an old pic" and left it at that,turned down any requests for interview.
    If she lived in Newtown or even America it would be insensitive at a stretch but she doesn't so no problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    But is this the truth, that every day 5.000 children die in Africa and parts of Asia that is, well, much more impressive

And, as I said, every death of a child is sad and tragic. that doesn't mean people should be taken to task for not showing the right amount of grief or for not being sad enough. I think any self respecting person would agree that no parent should ever have to bury a child, but the sad fact of life is that many do.

This doesn't mean that opions on the rich and the famous aren't any less valid.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Correct. This is a thread about Ms Flanagan:)
    Forum Member
    I just hope all these people saying Helen is a moron also think Madonna is a moron then :)

I'm not defending Helen at all, she's a bit of a bimbo, but the flack she is getting from this is just silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope all these people saying Helen is a moron also think Madonna is a moron then :)

I do actually.

So sue me. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It started with some random American killing his mother (I'm assuming she's dead), stealing her guns and executing 25 young children and (was it) 4 teachers.

An actress come model retweets a collection of three photos, one of which happens to have a gun in it as a prop.

A newspaper, or one of their agents, decides to take one of the photos, out of context, and show it to people living at the scene of the massacre to provoke a comment.

Cue some to some come along and call the actress "sick", "thick" and "ignorant" etc.

Too right I single out a few examples.

"Stick it to authority"? No. Just sticking it to those who seek to link to unrelated events.

And yes, I have been defending the position of the Australian DJs who made the prank call which had such a tragic, unexpected outcome as well. In that case I think more of the blame lays within these shores.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Cue some to some come along and call the actress "sick", "thick" and "ignorant" etc.

Too right I single out a few examples.

"Stick it to authority"? No. Just sticking it to those who seek to link to unrelated events.

I stand by my comments about HF because only a thick and ignorant person would re-tweet a picture like that at this moment in time. I also stand by my "sick" comment because if she wasn't milking the fall-out she would not have gone on TV. Only a desperate z-lister would, I think.

I think almost everyone is in agreement that the Sun are the most in the wrong for making a story out of this - that doesn't seem to have been disputed at all, so there's no reason to believe anyone is in any way not seeing through what they are doing. It doesn't mean we can't have opinions about HF though, or that all negative opinions are automatically abuse and hatred.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stand by my comments about HF because only a thick and ignorant person would re-tweet a picture like that at this moment in time. I also stand by my "sick" comment because if she wasn't milking the fall-out she would not have gone on TV. Only a desperate z-lister would, I think.

I think almost everyone is in agreement that the Sun are the most in the wrong for making a story out of this - that doesn't seem to have been disputed at all, so there's no reason to believe anyone is in any way not seeing through what they are doing. It doesn't mean we can't have opinions about HF though, or that all negative opinions are automatically abuse and hatred.

Agreed. :)

And I stick by my ''thick and moronic'' comment. ;)
  • bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Personally I feel she should have just accepted that the timing of this in context was wrong, she is sorry, and leave it at that. Watching her on GMTV stammering about saying it was a mistake, it was a hangover picture, it was taken in october, contradicts her own story and saying 'im sorry, im sorry, im sorry' is only futher admission of guilt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culled again. This is getting to be a habit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bridgerr wrote: »
    Personally I feel she should have just accepted that the timing of this in context was wrong, she is sorry, and leave it at that. Watching her on GMTV stammering about saying it was a mistake, it was a hangover picture, it was taken in october, contradicts her own story and saying 'im sorry, im sorry, im sorry' is only futher admission of guilt.

I suspect if she HAD just "left it at that" then you wouldn't have been happy. But then i'm a bit confused by this apparent "admission of guilt". She's not denied she posted the picture - she's apologised for doing so and admitted it was a mistake, sowwhere's this "guilt"?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why Helen would want to pose while holding a gun to her head anyway! What's the point?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I can't understand why Helen would want to pose while holding a gun to her head anyway! What's the point?!

i don't understand why anyone would to be honest.

I guess it's all about being seen as 'edgy' and getting column inches, though I think Helen Flanagan's about as edgy as rice pud (with skin on). :D