M&S a bit overrated?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Trouble is, following the ethical strategy nearly put them out of business. British consumers forced them to change, so who's really to blame?

True but does anyone buy clothes there anymore? They decided to invest a lot in their food range and now that is obviously in decline.

(*Thinks* must use those Christmas gift cards soon! :D)
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but does anyone buy clothes there anymore? They decided to invest a lot in their food range and now that is obviously in decline.

(*Thinks* must use those Christmas gift cards soon! :D)

Actually yes people do. My local M&S is usually pretty busy ok so its mostly OAPs who complain they don't have enough money who are shopping there but still they are still shoppers. I have bought some clothes out of M&S in recent years when there have been decent sales or deals on I like cami type tops and they had really dressy type ones on reduced to silly money so I got them but its not my first choice of clothes store.

I think M&S as a whole is still a bit overpriced and although I do like the food they do need to work on it a bit more to either up the quality and go for the higher end market again and hope that they make enough to survive or reduce the prices to reflect the perhaps lesser quality etc plus change in peoples disposable income and try and get more customers in and try to actually compete with the other supermarkets if that is what they seem to be doing anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    Actually yes people do. My local M&S is usually pretty busy ok so its mostly OAPs who complain they don't have enough money who are shopping there but still they are still shoppers. I have bought some clothes out of M&S in recent years when there have been decent sales or deals on I like cami type tops and they had really dressy type ones on reduced to silly money so I got them but its not my first choice of clothes store.

I think M&S as a whole is still a bit overpriced and although I do like the food they do need to work on it a bit more to either up the quality and go for the higher end market again and hope that they make enough to survive or reduce the prices to reflect the perhaps lesser quality etc plus change in peoples disposable income and try and get more customers in and try to actually compete with the other supermarkets if that is what they seem to be doing anyway.

25 years ago, when I worked in the city, I would buy almost all of my work clothes from M & S. I remember having some really good blouses/shirts, lovely coats and jackets. Classic styles, good quality and good value. Now I look at some of the clothes and they're just boring and/or overpriced. I'm at the age when I don''t want to dress like a 25 year old and not ready for the 70 year old look and they just don't cater for me and, I suspect, many other people.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    25 years ago, when I worked in the city, I would buy almost all of my work clothes from M & S. I remember having some really good blouses/shirts, lovely coats and jackets. Classic styles, good quality and good value. Now I look at some of the clothes and they're just boring and/or overpriced. I'm at the age when I don''t want to dress like a 25 year old and not ready for the 70 year old look and they just don't cater for me and, I suspect, many other people.

I agree they need to find a balance and as I say in my local one its mostly OAPs shopping there. I also agree certainly overpriced by a long way and its not even like they can use quality to justify the price tag anymore.

Off the food topic I know but I was trying to get my mum some stuff out of there one Xmas she had a tough time so thought it would be a nice treat I ended up going elsewhere as it was so over priced. It was like £35 for a pair of basic slippers for one no chance got a much better pair for £10 in another shop.

It is a shame as although not too too old I do remember the days of M&S standing for quality and knowing that you got something good for your money. Plus at one point it was the only place to get a decent sandwich without any salad mayo etc on it (I'm anti salad I can't help it) and their plain chicken was just perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    I agree they need to find a balance and as I say in my local one its mostly OAPs shopping there. I also agree certainly overpriced by a long way and its not even like they can use quality to justify the price tag anymore.

Off the food topic I know but I was trying to get my mum some stuff out of there one Xmas she had a tough time so thought it would be a nice treat I ended up going elsewhere as it was so over priced. It was like £35 for a pair of basic slippers for one no chance got a much better pair for £10 in another shop.

It is a shame as although not too too old I do remember the days of M&S standing for quality and knowing that you got something good for your money. Plus at one point it was the only place to get a decent sandwich without any salad mayo etc on it (I'm anti salad I can't help it) and their plain chicken was just perfect.

Their pre-cooked chicken breasts are the one thing I always buy and wouldn't buy in any other supermarket. Always a good standby if I don't have time to cook and versatile! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    M&S is far too over priced for my likings..far too dear..i never go in there apart from going in to the precinct and back out the dooor :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    In fairness, I don't think M&S food is that expensive. Use the multibuys and it's often no dearer than Tesco or Sainsburys.

Some things are very much top-end treats and you expect to pay for that but as an example in my local store the lasagne for one is £2.39. In Tesco it is £2.40.

You get what you pay for and it's telling that M&S are the only major high street food retailer not implicated in the horse meat fiasco as all the beef in their ready meals is British.

I used to work for them and and really very little is thrown away now and the staff do have the opportunity to buy at the end of the day (or they did in December when I left).

I think for an occasional treat they are ideal and in general their food is better than Waitrose where I have sometimes paid a lot of money for a very average ready meal.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness, I don't think M&S food is that expensive. Use the multibuys and it's often no dearer than Tesco or Sainsburys.

Some things are very much top-end treats and you expect to pay for that but as an example in my local store the lasagne for one is £2.39. In Tesco it is £2.40.

You get what you pay for and it's telling that M&S are the only major high street food retailer not implicated in the horse meat fiasco as all the beef in their ready meals is British.

I used to work for them and and really very little is thrown away now and the staff do have the opportunity to buy at the end of the day (or they did in December when I left).

I think for an occasional treat they are ideal and in general their food is better than Waitrose where I have sometimes paid a lot of money for a very average ready meal.

That post was sounding balanced until you mentioned waitrose.

M&S still just sell premium ready meals. At the end of the day its just a ready meal ie muck.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I am gonna cook the beef steaks from my multibuy tomorrow, hope they really are tender as stated on the package.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy food in M&S often, but not their ready meals. Their fresh chickens are lovely, and their topside beef is fantastic although I do have to wait till I see a piece reduced.

I do go yellow sticker hunting for bargains. In our local store they usually reduce at about 11am and then again about 4pm. If I see anything reduced I buy it and put it in the freezer.

They have bacon on offer at the moment, two packs for £4 which I don't think is bad and its nice bacon.

I also find their pasta is really good. I wait till it is on offer then stock up on it.

Their fruit is also better quality than Tesco in my opinion.

As for their clothes and homewear, they have completely lost the plot. Some of their clothes are such poor quality and so expensive. It is also impossible to find anything there as the clothes are not put into sections. Have not bought anything in those departments for months and months.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I've had some of their bacon (some sweetcure back bacon or something like that), very nice :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy food in M&S often, but not their ready meals. Their fresh chickens are lovely, and their topside beef is fantastic although I do have to wait till I see a piece reduced.

I do go yellow sticker hunting for bargains.
    In our local store they usually reduce at about 11am and then again about 4pm. If I see anything reduced I buy it and put it in the freezer.

They have bacon on offer at the moment, two packs for £4 which I don't think is bad and its nice bacon.

I also find their pasta is really good. I wait till it is on offer then stock up on it.

Their fruit is also better quality than Tesco in my opinion.

As for their clothes and homewear, they have completely lost the plot. Some of their clothes are such poor quality and so expensive. It is also impossible to find anything there as the clothes are not put into sections. Have not bought anything in those departments for months and months.

Waitrose are terrible at reductions. They have, already overpriced, cuts of meat for sale at, say, £6.80 and because it's reached it's sell by date they knock 50p off!
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waitrose are terrible at reductions. They have, already overpriced, cuts of meat for sale at, say, £6.80 and because it's reached it's sell by date they knock 50p off!

I always thought they were trying to keep out people who couldn't afford their prices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I have a cousin who works in a chicken factory an another relative in mcvities factory and they both say that the biscuits they make for m & s is the exact same as cheap label ones but just with a different packaging
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    If you've forgotten how potatoes used to really taste, buy M & S loose baked potatoes i.e. Maris Piper. You're in for a treat! My tastebuds are not that good but hey,...was really delighted with the taste.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

M&S still just sell premium ready meals. At the end of the day its just a ready meal ie muck.

M&S sell a lot more than just ready meals. Their steak (especially the Aberdeen Angus) is very good, the chickens actually taste of chicken (the cooked chicken is far better than any other), the bakery baguettes are very nice and the fruit and veg is good too.

Chilled ready meals only make up about 25% of the food turnover in M&S.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rate M&S about the same as 'Sainsburys - Taste the Difference' and 'Asda - Extra Special' but it's definately miles better than supermarkets standard ranges. I don't get to shop at Waitrose very often, we don't live near one.

M&S's standard custard is delicious and clearly not the artificial rubbish the other supermarkets produce, unless you buy their expensive ranges. I've never tried Waitrose custard.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not even close. :confused:
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M&S are generally good. The question is just whether the premium is justified.

they do have some very good things.

eg M&S long grain rice is excellent quality. not quite as good as Uncle Ben's, I think, but better than any other supermarket brand I have tried - and cheaper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    I always thought they were trying to keep out people who couldn't afford their prices.

There is a load of rot talked about Waitrose. I go midweek about once a but on the odd Saturday visit it is just as much a scrum as Tesco or Sainsbury. And it surely has the most miserable, sour faced customers of any supermarket!
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Trouble is, following the ethical strategy nearly put them out of business. British consumers forced them to change, so who's really to blame?

I have to agree there. I remember years ago everything was British, then 'made in France' crept in, now it's anyone's guess as you say nearly going down some years ago what could they have done?:confused:

I love their ' Sandwich mustard' btw, never seen it anywhere else.

You have to be selective there IMO - different jams etc - plus they've also started stocking major brands in the food hall which is convenient but really expensive.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work in London and would walk past a foodhall on my way home. I would spend a small fortune in there buying something for tea and it was always delish.

I now live / work in an area without an M&S. But about 2yrs ago I popped into one in Ipswich and the food was still glorious.

I now hear we are getting a foodhall semi nearby to work ... and I cant wait. As others have said, there ready meals are devine. I also love their beef / chicken pasties and pies.
  • chinchillachinchilla Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore their chicken breasts with leek and bacon or the the white wine and mushroom sauce - a treat for me if i'm cooking for myself :)
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M & S "Gastropub" Scotch Eggs with runny centres are really good!

Just had another one of these. DELICIOUS!:D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    M&S sell a lot more than just ready meals. Their steak (especially the Aberdeen Angus) is very good, the chickens actually taste of chicken (the cooked chicken is far better than any other), the bakery baguettes are very nice and the fruit and veg is good too.

Chilled ready meals only make up about 25% of the food turnover in M&S.

I think I had rib-eye steak from M&S, it was very good :) Their chicken (OK I've bought chicken thighs and slightly pricier stuff) is very good too, and some of the Fuller for Longer meals are quite nice, as are the premium sandwiches (Chicken and Bacon salad, yum) :)