Options

Samsung Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got the phone from 3 on a contract in July, so phone's pretty new and not rooted or anything.
Yesterday the phone started turning itself off at random times quite a lot.
Battery could have been over 60%, at 30%, it was never with the same charge that it would happen, also never when doing the same thing on the phone.
Usually when it's about to turn itself off, I lose signal completely, then the screen just goes black.
When I try to turn it back on, it usually dies again at the 3 logo or even at the Samsung one and I have to try and turn it back on again. Sometimes I had to pull the battery out and connect it to the charger to make it boot up ok.
After a couple of times it did that, it started going into a bootloop when attempting to turn it back on again after the random shutdown. Phone wasn't hot either.
It had happened a few days before but just once not this many times in one single day.
I removed the microSD card, since it makes the phone think the device has been modified and won't let me update, but the microSD works fine in my old phone and even with that removed, phone still turned itself off and then went into a bootloop.
I think it might be the battery. Last time I was using the phone unplugged yesterday night, the battery went down to 33% charge in less than an hour and phone turned itself off. After managing to make it boot up again and connecting it to the charger, it was saying 60% charge. I doubt it could have gone up to 60% being plugged in just for a minute or so.
So, I can certainly take it back to the store and have them fix it or buy a new battery and see if it solves the problem.
Is it likely to be the battery that's malfunctioning?
Lots of people on the Internet seem to have this problem and a few mention a swollen battery. They replaced the battery and phone was fine after. Mine seems ok, but I can't be sure.
I don't understand why I seem to lose signal completely just before it switches itself off... it doesn't do it all the times, but a lot of the times yes.
I have other phones on 3 and they didn't lose signal completely and anyway in my house coverage has always been excellent.
I forgot to mention that once, while trying to restart the phone, I got this message, more or less: "Installing custom OS can damage your system or applications. Choose volume up to continue...". My phone's not rooted and I haven't installed any custom ROM!

Comments

• Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1899790

^Check that thread.

But Im pretty certain yours batterys also gone!
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call up Samsung. There is a known problem with batteries on the S4.

I have just called them this afternoon. They were very helpful and told me they are sending me a new one within 14 days for free.

They will need a copy (photo or scan) of your invoice and the IMEI and Serial number of your S4.

Call them on 0330 726 07864

News link here.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/10/16/samsung-replacing-swollen-galaxy-s4-batteries/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to think that it's the battery then... I ordered a new one. I might give Samsung a call and ask for a replacement battery but mine is not visibly swollen I think.
    Phone restarted itself again today. I had it plugged in most of the day and didn't really use it much and so it was ok. It lost signal completely once but didn't reboot. Later in the day it restarted itself when I was about to check the Email app. It had 13% charge. After putting it on charge, and restarting it, it was showing 0% charge. Odd.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad battery. Just tell them it "appears slightly swollen". They''l replace it. Also, if you've ordered a new one, make sure it's genuine. There's a lot of cheap Chinese knock offs out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a replacement battery and phone's ok now. The battery that came with the phone is indeed swollen.
    I got in contact with Samsung but got told they can't send me a new battery; I'd have to send them the phone for them to replace the faulty battery under warranty. I don't have a carry in centre close to me, so that's the only thing they can do.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I am getting similar problems as those mentioned here. I bought my phone in December though, so I'd imagine they would have stopped issuing faulty batteries by then.

Today, took phone off charge at 100%. By 10am it died on me. It just turns off, no battery low beeps or anything. In order to turn it back on I need to plug it in to the charge. It initially reads 0% battery and then it jumped up to 65% and turned on OK.

I have ordered a new battery from Amazon as I am going away on Friday and desperately need my phone to work while away.

These issues seem to have started shortly after updating Android, but that could be coincidence. Anyone else having issues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a new battery from Amazon, you should be ok. I've been using the replacement battery I bought on Amazon for months and phone's been fine.
  • Options
    battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    With a new battery from Amazon, you should be ok. I've been using the replacement battery I bought on Amazon for months and phone's been fine.

Yes, battery fixed this issue. I now have four batteries some how.

The original broken one, I need to bin.
    The one that I ordered from Amazon to replace the original, but did not arrive in time for my holiday to Milan (due to it being in Milan on the tracker just before I flew to Milan. Grr.)
    The cheapo that I bought in a shop at the last minute to take to Milan with me.
    The one that Samsung sent me as a replacement.