Options

Royal Mail refusing compensation for lost parcel

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
A while back Gamestop were doing an offer if you traded in two games from a select list you would get £40 off a pre-order. They sent a pre-paid envelope for the games and I went to my local post office and upgraded it to the signed for service so that it's covered for up to £50.

The parcel never arrived at Gamestop and I was charged full price for a game. :(

I completed the online form for compensation with the Royal Mail and included as much proof as possible. This included a short cover letter explaining the trade-in offer, photographs of the games going into the envelope, photo of the completed trade-in form that goes into the envelope for this offer. An original copy of the offer and an invoice from Gamestop which covers them accepting my trade-in request.

The other day I got a letter back basically saying there is no proof of the value of the items, so here is 6 first class stamps instead :o:o

I'm £40 out of pocket because of this, plus the associated loss of the games going missing too (probably another £25). I rang them up and the girl on the phone couldn't really care less and just keep telling me that I need to prove the value of the item. I don't know what other proof I can provide. I took all those photos to cover myself in-case this happens but it seems that means nothing.

I'm at a loss. Anyone got any advice on what else I can try? I'm waiting on a callback from a supervisor but I doubt that's going to happen.

Comments

• Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no receipt from the post office when you covered it?
  • Options
    LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's difficult to prove the cost of the games.
    They are obviously not worth £40, that's just a money-off offer.
    Enjoy the stamps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    no receipt from the post office when you covered it?

Yes I got one, I had to include that when I sent everything off. They letter I got back is basically them saying they admit to losing the parcel, they confirm that.
    It's difficult to prove the cost of the games.
    They are obviously not worth £40, that's just a money-off offer.
    Enjoy the stamps.

But I can prove to them the offer, how much I'm out of pocket and Gamestop have proved they accepted my trade-in request. In my view the games could be worth 5p, but as part of this offer Gamestop valued them at £40 which is what I'm seeking.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The £40 trade-in discount you missed out on is a consequential loss, and this is not covered for standard post. Such cover is only available (at additional cost) on Special Delivery.

Proving the value of the games lost in the post shouldn't be too difficult. Just look at what the second hand game shops are charging for them and send that to RM.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A similar thing happened to me. I returned an item to an eBay seller and posted it parcel post signed for. I checked on the Royal Mail tracking site but it never showed up as delivered. I wrote to Royal Mail and put in a claim for the value of the item (£30.) and the full postage. They only refunded me the value of the signed-for element of the postage amount - £1.15. I wrote them a nasty letter but it didn't do any good. Bastards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    The £40 trade-in discount you missed out on is a consequential loss, and this is not covered for standard post. Such cover is only available (at additional cost) on Special Delivery.

I don't understand this sorry. Gamestop valued the items at £40 did they not? Therefore I'm £40 out of pocket.
    Roush wrote: »
    Proving the value of the games lost in the post shouldn't be too difficult. Just look at what the second hand game shops are charging for them and send that to RM.

Well I had actually bought the games a couple of days before I sent them to take advantage of the offer, so I have the original invoices for them which I will send off if all else fails. After just checking it works out as a total of £19. So I guess if they refuse to accept the Gamestop offer I will go down that path and get half my money back.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I don't understand this sorry. Gamestop valued the items at £40 did they not? Therefore I'm £40 out of pocket.
    Not really. Gamestop offered to let you have £40 off if you set them in. That's not the same thing. I could have offered you £500 if you sent them to me but it doesn't make them worth that. It would just make me an idiot.

That's what is meant by it being a 'consequential loss'.

A classic example is the old saying 'For want of a nail.'

RM will be liable for the market value of the game on the open market. What some idiot or some marketing department decides to give you in exchange is not RM's problem.

Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With you now, thanks for clearing that up.

I guess I will just send of this invoice for £19 and hope they accept that.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that it's a "Consequential Loss", that's a different thing.

RM just cannot rely on the opinion of "some guy" (GameStop in this case) as to the actual value of the lost items. It would need to be a seller with no vested interest in bumping up the valuation.

It's a tricky one really. What is the value of 2nd hand games? I think you would need to show various sold games on Ebay.

If the games are still being sold new then maybe that would help? A print-out of an Amazon page for example.

If you could prove the value as determined by several sellers/buyers then that might have worked. Is it actually possible to try again with RM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The games I sent weren't second hand, they were brand new both bought a couple days before I sent them to Gamestop. I've got invoices proving the value of them when purchased a couple of days prior.

No call back today so I'm going to ring them tomorrow to discuss this.
  • Options
    LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you sent them 'recorded delivery', which I believe you did, you will not get compensated for any loss.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    If you sent them 'recorded delivery', which I believe you did, you will not get compensated for any loss.

No it's not recorded delivery it's Signed For, read the OP! The OP doesn't say whether 1st or 2nd class, but they both offer £50 compensation cover: http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatch-low/uk-delivery/royal-mail-signed-1st-class
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, if you haven't broken the wrapping seal on the game you bought from Gamestop you have a right to cancel the contract up to 14 days after you received the game, under the Consumer Contract Regs 2013, and return the game for a full refund. The same would apply for the games you bought to trade in, if you bought them mail order or online, ie at a distance.

Gamestop must also refund you for return postage, although only for the cheapest method: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I had actually bought the games a couple of days before I sent them to take advantage of the offer, so I have the original invoices for them which I will send off if all else fails. After just checking it works out as a total of £19.
    That's exactly what RM have been asking you for - proof of their value, i.e. what you paid for them. This is what you should have sent them all along. Get the £40 deal out of your head - it's not their value, and I suspect you know that.
    evil c wrote: »
    No it's not recorded delivery it's Signed For, read the OP! The OP doesn't say whether 1st or 2nd class, but they both offer £50 compensation cover: http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatch-low/uk-delivery/royal-mail-signed-1st-class
    Crucially, cover is up to £50. It depends on the value of the items so it could be much less (as in the OP's case).

'Recorded delivery' was changed to 'signed for' several years ago. They're essentially the same thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's exactly what RM have been asking you for - proof of their value, i.e. what you paid for them. This is what you should have sent them all along. Get the £40 deal out of your head - it's not their value, and I suspect you know that.

No, I know what I paid for them, what Gamestop valued them at as part of this offer and I know what I'm out of pocket by.

Turns out the RM agree with me too as this morning I got a £40 cheque in the post and a letter of apology explaining they were wrong with the initial assessment of my case. :)
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All forms of post carry compensation if the item is lost. The amount of compensation depends on the type of service purchased.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I know what I paid for them, what Gamestop valued them at as part of this offer and I know what I'm out of pocket by.

Turns out the RM agree with me too as this morning I got a £40 cheque in the post and a letter of apology explaining they were wrong with the initial assessment of my case. :)

Good for you, Im reading this thread in shock that people seem to think we should roll over and accept nothing in cases like this. RM lost goods which meant that the OP was out of pocket to the tune of £40, I dont care what sort of loss that is called, common sense says that RM created that problem and therefore should put it right.

Perhaps they shouldnt lose so many items, then they wouldnt be faced with this.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »

Recorded and signed for are the same thing.