Star Wars is in a right mess

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
I am talking about episode7. But with the writer who i cant remember who he is by the way has been sacked theyve had to start re writing the scipts. Also filming will be delayed till spring and ive read it might not be released till 2016 i think it is saying they dunno the actual story. I think they are in a mess I honestly dont think they need to do another star wars. It was 1 story from Episode 1 to episode 6 how a good man turns bad and how his son returns him to the good side. That was all sorted where do they actually go.

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    adamlee19 wrote: »
    It was 1 story from Episode 1 to episode 6 how a good man turns bad and how his son returns him to the good side. This was all sorted where do they actually go.

Well if you actually knew anything about Star Wars then you'd know that George Lucas had always envisaged Star Wars to have 3 stories that would be over 3 trilogies of 9 episodes and maybe a few more odd films to bring it up to 12.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the dire prequels (I know, what a unique and original opinion, right?) the only way left to go is up. If they make an arse of this it won't bother me one jot, and if they don't then great, a good SW film to watch. It's win-win.

Well, win-mehwhocares, but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am talking about episode7. But with the writer who i cant remember who he is by the way has been sacked theyve had to start re writing the scipts. Also filming will be delayed till spring and ive read it might not be released till 2016 i think it is saying they dunno the actual story. I think they are in a mess I honestly dont think they need to do another star wars. It was 1 story from Episode 1 to episode 6 how a good man turns bad and how his son returns him to the good side. That was all sorted where do they actually go.

Filming is still set for Spring 2014, and release is still set for 2015. It's not unusual for blockbusters to go through multiple rewrites etc, which inevitably leads to rumours of doom and gloom. Seeing as screenwriting duties have now been handed over to JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (who co-wrote Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark), I certainly see no need to panic. You sound quite reluctant about the new movies, I'm guessing that's the reason behind your negative spin on the story.
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the thing with star wars is its a massive massive franchise, the main trilogy is the original and will always be known as classics and probably the best! , the prequel trilogy weren't the best and they should never have been hyped up as being as good as the original trilogy, because they were only ever meant to tell the story of how we got to them, the new trilogy should be both written with the upmost respect of the franchise, if your going to carry in a new trilogy, completely new then it needs to be perfect make sense, otherwise it just ruins what the franchise is, and their wouldn't be any point in carrying it on
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody please enlighten me and tell me what was so great about the original trilogy?

I watch them now and think, did I really think these films were brilliant, because apart from Empire Strikes Back they seem really poor, especially Return of the Jedi, which I think is as bad as The Phantom Menace.

So if somebody can tell me what I am now missing , please let me know.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Nostalgia?

Seriously though, I get your point and quite agree. As actual cinema in the purely artistic sense, none of them really amount to much. But in the cinema as western pop-culture sense, Star Wars was immense. Probably the biggest game-changer the industry ever saw.

Of course there will always be a grey area where artistic merit and cultural significance overlap, and some will put forward a strong defence of Star Wars' position there. Suffice to say that if part of the art of cinema is getting people into theatres, it's a titan indeed.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Nostalgia?

Seriously though, I get your point and quite agree. As actual cinema in the purely artistic sense, none of them really amount to much. But in the cinema as western pop-culture sense, Star Wars was immense. Probably the biggest game-changer the industry ever saw.

Of course there will always be a grey area where artistic merit and cultural significance overlap, and some will put forward a strong defence of Star Wars' position there. Suffice to say that if part of the art of cinema is getting people into theatres, it's a titan indeed.

Yes, nicely explained.

Also, if you were there in 1977, you will know just how radical the original Star Wars was in terms of sci-fi. It was up there with Bladerunner and Alien in terms of changing sci-fi and Hollywood cinema in general.

Of course none of the Star Wars films have dated well and they're really rather poor films (the dialogue is laughably bad). I really liked the first two when they were released but I was a kid at the time and they're kids' films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody please enlighten me and tell me what was so great about the original trilogy?

I watch them now and think, did I really think these films were brilliant, because apart from Empire Strikes Back they seem really poor, especially Return of the Jedi, which I think is as bad as The Phantom Menace.

Jedi is not a great film, granted.

You have to remember these films were made in the 70s and early 80s, watch any film from that era and they are all quite awful compared to the modern digital, CGI and other trickery.

I'll never forget watching episode 4 at the cinema, there had never been a film even close to the grand spectacle that was Star Wars, it blew me away completely.

Empire was an amazing sequal, again you have to remeber there was a gap of 6 years between episodes 4 and 5.....that's unheard of today and the anticipation for the second film was crazy.

These days space alien romps are a dime a dozen, back then it was completely different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, nicely explained.

Also, if you were there in 1977, you will know just how radical the original Star Wars was in terms of sci-fi. It was up there with Bladerunner and Alien in terms of changing sci-fi and Hollywood cinema in general.

Of course none of the Star Wars films have dated well and they're really rather poor films (the dialogue is laughably bad). I really liked the first two when they were released but I was a kid at the time and they're kids' films.

Alien was 79, Bladerunner was early 80s. I remember their release well, but Star Wars was there first and to this day i still wonder if they had not made Star Wars if films like Bladerunner would ever have been made.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to the poster above, Star wars episode 4: A New Hope was released in 1977 and episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back in 1980 so it was actually 3 years gap, not 6
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Alien was 79, Bladerunner was early 80s. I remember their release well, but Star Wars was there first and to this day i still wonder if they had not made Star Wars if films like Bladerunner would ever have been made.

I think Star Wars might have revived studios' interest in the sci-fi genre but Bladerunner and Alien each take a completely different approach - Bladerunner's dystopian urban vision and Alien's battered space ship with its crew of ordinary Joes are both a world away from the sci-fi flicks that had been made before.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disney have done everything right so far. They've hired the right people and have set everything up rather brilliantly. People forget that Disney control the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and if they treat Star Wars in the same way, we should be rather optimistic.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    .. I honestly dont think they need to do another star wars. It was 1 story from Episode 1 to episode 6 how a good man turns bad and how his son returns him to the good side. That was all sorted where do they actually go.
    They should have stopped at Episode 6.

Episodes 1-3 were just pointless crash-wringing crap, anyway.

The next one will be utterly and completely crap and irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disney have done everything right so far. They've hired the right people and have set everything up rather brilliantly. People forget that Disney control the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and if they treat Star Wars in the same way, we should be rather optimistic.

See that is what would worry me...apart from the first Iron Man & Thor, then to me Marvel has been poor.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See that is what would worry me...apart from the first Iron Man & Thor, then to me Marvel has been poor.

Yes, but if you look beyond your own opinion surely you recognise that so far reaction to the Marvel movies has been fairly positive, as is the buzz about the future, both from Marvel fans, and the wider popcorn munching general public. If Disney can strike a similar balance with the new Star Wars movies good on them.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am talking about episode7. But with the writer who i cant remember who he is by the way has been sacked theyve had to start re writing the scipts.

Methinks you don't know much about film writing. It's very, VERY usual for a writer to write a treatment/draft of a script for a larger budget film and then for other writers to do a pass on it. In fact, you'd have a harder time finding examples of recent movies when this didn't happen.

For a Star Wars example, look up Leigh Brackett who worked on Empire before Lawrence Kasdan got near it.

For a recent franchise film, try the last three Bond movies which were worked on by a writing duo of Neal Purvis and Robert Wade...and another writer writing separately at a different time (Paul Haggis, John Logan).

Star Wars Episode VII may be an unmitigated disaster, but it won't be because one of the screenwriters has completed his work on the project.
    Why would anyone waste their time? You don't like the films. Move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Methinks you don't know much about film writing. It's very, VERY usual for a writer to write a treatment/draft of a script for a larger budget film and then for other writers to do a pass on it. In fact, you'd have a harder time finding examples of recent movies when this didn't happen.

For a Star Wars example, look up Leigh Brackett who worked on Empire before Lawrence Kasdan got near it.

For a recent franchise film, try the last three Bond movies which were worked on by a writing duo of Neal Purvis and Robert Wade...and another writer writing separately at a different time (Paul Haggis, John Logan).

Star Wars Episode VII may be an unmitigated disaster, but it won't be because one of the screenwriters has completed his work on the project.

Why would anyone waste their time? You don't like the films. Move on.

So come on then why are they so great. Or don't you know.

Star Wars is okay.

Empire is great, can't knock that

Jedi is just poor.

I grew up with them and loved them as a kid, or are they just kids movies nothing more.

I get what they did for the Sci Fi genre, merchandise and all that...but besides that what is great about these 3 films, or is that just it..it is what they did and not the films themselves that are great.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep Jedi is poor -bloody ewoks. Even got a spinoff ewok film afterwards. Ouch talk about kicking a franchise in the nuts. George Lucas can't write for toffee. I do need to remember these are kids films right?
  • Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Well if you actually knew anything about Star Wars then you'd know that George Lucas had always envisaged Star Wars to have 3 stories that would be over 3 trilogies of 9 episodes and maybe a few more odd films to bring it up to 12.

Lucas kept on altering his stories to hide the the shame of the abysmal films that were the prequel trilogy.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Erm excuse me but a new Star Wars movie that will have Hamill, Ford, Fisher and maybe Dee Williams and Directed by genius JJ Abrams and now written by Larry Kasden, the man who wrote Empire and Jedi has one word written all over it:

EPIC!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Erm excuse me but a new Star Wars movie that will have Hamill, Ford, Fisher and maybe Dee Williams and Directed by genius JJ Abrams and now written by Larry Kasden, the man who wrote Empire and Jedi has one word written all over it:

EPIC!

I'm reminded of 1997 when it was announced that George Lucas himself would write and direct episode one , with a great cast - Liam Neeson , Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman .

what could possibly go wrong ....
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    star wars always struck me as being of a similar quality to Dune.

if you are "into" it, you will like it.

I have seen parts of them over the years, and wasn't over excited.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So come on then why are they so great. Or don't you know.

How old are you? 9? :rolleyes:

I've already said, why would anyone waste their time explaining why they like these films to you? So you can disagree? Get over yourself. Try here.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Still love watching them, especially the original trilogy. Regarding the prequels; if these were remade keeping the exact same story lines but a change of director then they would be so much better and a definite classic for a new generation. Lucas ruined them by playing to a kids audience and tried to make them too cuddly.
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all sci fi movies even the old black & white ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P2iUJucbk4