Options

Your most annoying cancellation?

Comments

• Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to 'Dark Skies' with Eric Close ? I got right into that series....it ended with a cliffhanger....and no more to be seen of it!
    I'd like to have seen more of 'Mutant X' too, or was that resolved in the end?
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »
    In America shows don't have to be failures to get cancelled...

That is not true at all for any relatively-new shows that get cancelled. All such shows get cancelled because they failed in the ratings. If a successful show gets cancelled it is because it has had a good enough run (of numerous years) and the story is coming to a natural end or there is creative exhaustion, or there are cost issues that the producer or channel does not want to continue bearing. The US Office ending in a few months is an example of this: the ratings for the show themselves would justify continuing.
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I really enjoyed it. From memory (which isn't great) the critics loved it but it didn't do it in the ratings.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunset Beach for me. Yes I know it was hardly highbrow and quality tv but it was total escapism for me. Loved it.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terriers.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simone17 wrote: »
    Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I really enjoyed it. From memory (which isn't great) the critics loved it but it didn't do it in the ratings.

Yes, I loved S60 but perhaps it was a little too inward looking to get a mass audience. Hopefully it's spiritual successor The Newsroom will have a long enough run and they iron out some of the problems that the first season had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twin Peaks.

This and American Gothic.
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    My name is Earl will always be the most pointless cancelation ever. It ended on an unresolved cliffhanger and was very funny.
    Add to that the obligatory Firefly mention.

I came on to post My Name is Earl...loved that show. I think they killed it when he was in a coma and dreaming a 1950's sitcom, but it got way better after that...sadly the damage was done.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invasion.....

I can;t have been the only person that liked it surely.

And Jericho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invasion was excellent. Jake 2.0 was also quite good.
  • Options
    J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One for older viewers...Blake's 7:(
  • Options
    javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veronica Mars - due to the mini-cliffhanger. I suppose it was more to do with what could happen next.

Same reasons for The Secret Circle. I thought it performed moderately well (dragged near the end) but the last episode of the season really set things up nicely of what could come!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veronica Mars - due to the mini-cliffhanger. I suppose it was more to do with what could happen next.

Same reasons for The Secret Circle. I thought it performed moderately well (dragged near the end) but the last episode of the season really set things up nicely of what could come!

100% agree with Veronica Mars

Not sure if you might have seen this, I believe it was included in the DVD of season 3 - its a small pilot that they did for season 4 but sadly it was rejected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xV5p_BndJs
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember Savannah? It was awful but I remember being hooked on it around 97-99. I think that ended on cliffhanger too or maybe the other episodes were just never shown or I never saw them. It annoyed the hell out of me at the time that I never found out what happened with them anyway

I loved that show. So bad it was good lol.
  • Options
    DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corky Duke wrote: »
    Worse was when they cancelled Gumbel to Gumbel

I loved the music to that :p

Gumbel to Gumbel, beach justice :D
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Firefly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Tru Calling
    Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosaliee wrote: »
    Terra Nova's cancellation was annoying. It was all left up in the air and completely unfinished.

While I agree I'm still of the opinion that Journeyman was a great show and the plot was just getting going when it was cancelled :( :mad:

Also still upset about Firefly :o

We need a thread about shows that were rightfully cancelled though as Dollhouse was good but with the 'leap forward' episodes it was clear that it had to go ;)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the saying goes, Life's too short.
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angel. In Season 5, it had finally become the show I wanted it to be and then it was cancelled because the broadcaster refused to commit to an early renewal.

There's nothing wrong with the final episode though. Perfect,
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it was -
    The Secret Circle
    The Fades
    Terra Nova.
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    Studio 60
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    While I agree I'm still of the opinion that Journeyman was a great show and the plot was just getting going when it was cancelled :( :mad:

Also still upset about Firefly :o

We need a thread about shows that were rightfully cancelled though as Dollhouse was good but with the 'leap forward' episodes it was clear that it had to go ;)

Wasn't the "leap forward" episode written as a result of the cancellation? If Joss has felt Dollhouse had 3 or 4 more seasons left in it then I'm sure it wouldn't have happened.

I did like Dollhouse, despite its faults, but its cancellation was nowhere near as tragic as Firefly. That was a show which had the potential to run for years.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Not a US show but The Fades, worst cancellation of a TV yet. US shows, Jericho is the one that really should have continued also Dark Angel.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to 'Dark Skies' with Eric Close ? I got right into that series....it ended with a cliffhanger....and no more to be seen of it!
    I'd like to have seen more of 'Mutant X' too, or was that resolved in the end?

Dark skies did not end with a cliff hanger, the producers were given enough notice to tie up the loose ends, the final episode was rushed with badly inserted scenes but it did have an ending.