Karl Urban on Dredd Sequel: It’s not off the agenda.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Well it's time the fans grew up. (*)

Seriously, if it's a choice between 15 or no film, a 15 ought to be acceptable. It allows "strong violence, frequent strong language, portrayals of sexual activity, sexual nudity, drug taking". I think they could include people being skinned alive, for example, albeit without being quite as graphic as an 18. Alien is rated 15 in the UK, for example, with the chest-burster scene.

PG-13 is an American rating, and they don't have 15. If it's PG-13 in America and 15 here, that could be OK. If it's PG-13 in America and 12A here, then I do think that would be too tame. A 12A may not have "a very dark or unsettling tone" and is very limited in its sex and violence.

----
    (*) Supposedly what Stallone said, when told fans wouldn't like him removing his helmet.

I knew that, but studios will go by American ratings not British ones since the American market is bigger (and therefore more important)

I'd draw your attention to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as two 12A rated films with a dark and unsettling tone (the latter of which is the BBFC's most complained about film of all time), but I think the fans would refuse to see it because it wouldn't be graphic enough for them (though I realise this makes them sound like psychopaths)...
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ I don't think we're disagreeing now? I agree 12A in the UK would be too mild. I think 15 in the UK would be acceptable.

I also agree that the US rating is what matters, so their actual choice is PG-13 or R. Sometimes a film is classified as PG-13 in America and 15 here. For example, Mama.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that maybe this had been bumped with actual news, but that article is from September and is basically just saying "if a sequel were made, it might cover this story".
  • Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the film, a vast improvement on the awful Stallone version and this one stayed pretty true to its comic book roots. Trouble is it was quite gritty and violent as a Dredd movie should be but sadly this means a 18 rating which doesn't translate into box office mega-bucks. The filmed lacked big production values as well which meant a relatively unknown cast and just a bit of a low budget feel to the film.

Realistically they need some sort of happy medium between Stallone Dredd and this one, in other words a film that stays true to the story and includes enough violence to keep the hardcore fans happy, but is also able to at least keep a 15 rating to draw in a broader audience and is promoted as a bit more glossy and family friendly.