Peter Kay / Dave Spikey row ?

124»

Comments

• GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Well whatever axe Dave Spikey has a right to grind - it's Peter Kay whose career took off.

Dave Spikey may be a great writer but writers usually stay in the background - as a standup comedian he's ok but nothing special.

I doubt what is in the papers if true anyway. It hardly ever is. But they love to build on a disagreement and turn it into something else.

Yes Peter Kay likes to take over the conversation in interviews - I find this funny and he's there to be funny and people expect him to be funny. Just a look from him can be funny.

Dave Spikey isn't funny. Perhaps he doesn't like it that Peter Kay can also write comedy himself so makes him redundant.

I'd love to go and see Peter Kay when he tours again but I know he took time off to be with his new son.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Although I would like to think of PK as a nice bloke, you can't really piece together a proper judgement from media articles and other people's opinions. There is evidence that the fame has gone to his head though, several interviews I've seen with him have given me this idea, but who knows? Unless you've met him personally, you really can't tell IMO.

Re: Amarillo & 500 miles. Amarillo was really good and a genius idea, but 500 miles, (although a good charity idea, maybe even so because PK did not go it alone this time) was not as widely hyped, as other FMs have said. If, come next Comic Relief, PK (if he's still around....) reworks another song to raise money, no harm done, but the gimic may have worn off for a few people IMO.

Yes but don't forget that 500 miles wasn't the offiical Comic Relief song it was that awful Girls Aloud/Sugababes thing. The 500 miles one is way more popular.

Peter Kay had already used Amarillo in his shows (it appears as an intro on one of his dvds) so was already very popular.
  • Verna_GoldVerna_Gold Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    All seems a bit harsh. I've never met him but i know people who have, cos we live quite near him, and no-one has a bad word to say about him, and they say he's a really funny guy in person, not just when he's performing. Often see him with his Mum & his Nan.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave's funny but Peter's like the classic OTT funnyman like there's always been on TV over the years. The thing is, Peter is a decent actor and writer but it's overshadowed because he hasn't done enough of it. He really needs to get his new series together this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I've met him several times - I work local to where he lives - always been a cracking bloke. Saying that, I do believe DS & NF added a hell of a lot to PN - M&P wasn't a patch on it!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pheonix Nights was better than Max and Paddy, so.....

It would be interesting to see Neil and Dave getting together and writing something, and see how funny/popular it is.....then we'd know who the brains/laughs were!

And even though I dont know Peter Kay, I think not giving Neil and Dave credit where its due is disgraceful.
  • Mrs CMrs C Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Neil on PN - Bonnie Langford? Nearly broke her back!! :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,583
    Forum Member
    Yes but don't forget that 500 miles wasn't the offiical Comic Relief song it was that awful Girls Aloud/Sugababes thing. The 500 miles one is way more popular.
    That's what made me think about PK being a bit, erm, big headed. I don't know how to say what I'm about to without it sounding awful, so I'm just going to go for it.

Doesn't seem like PK may be trying to "steal the limelight" away from the official Comic Relief song? Or did he just do it 'cos he knew it would raise more money than the official one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Phoenix Nights was written by Peter Kay, Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey. But when the second series was nominated for a BAFTA Kay put his name forward alone and not his co-writers. Understandably annoyed them and is one of the major reasons for the fallout. That's why I was glad The Office won.

Hey cylon6, you should head over to Wikipedia and edit Kay's entry; in that entry (and almost every re-iteration of the story) regarding Spikey and Fitzmaurice it has a mention of the series actually winning a BAFTA (which it never actually did).

I know it's an older thread, but it's certainly an interesting one! Ever since the Phoenix Nights series 2 DVD came out with no commentary contributions from Spikey and Fitzmaurice back in 2003, I've suspected that they'd fallen out with each other. When Max & Paddy came out with them noticeably absent (and Jerry represented by a body double!), that pretty much confirmed it for me.

Since then, there've been a couple of interviews on Teletext such as Fitzmaurice's comments mentioned elsewhere, and Spikey simply mentioning that he and Kay hadn't spoken to each other in some time. Unless I'm reading the wrong stuff, it's interesting how the dispute has never really been publicised too much by the press...

With all this, I kind of get the impression that in addition to Kay's wealth, that another reason he's not been particularly motivated to become involved in new TV projects is that he's simply alienated too many co-collaborators by now. From the guarded comments that come out from Spikey and, in particular, Fitzmaurice every now and then, he'll certainly have to do some grovelling to ever get them to work with him again.

It's pretty much a certainty that there'll be loads of people in the industry who've heard more accurate reports from Spikey and Fitzmaurice, and this too may end up limiting Kay's choices in who would actually be willing to 'risk' working with him. Notably, his latest mooted project is supposed to be with Craig Cash; someone who (as far as I'm aware) had nothing to do with any Kay-related project in the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little bit unrelated but, has anybody seen Roary The Racing Car on Channel 5 @7:20, my daughter loves it and Peter Kay is the voice of a character, it is quite funny hearing his voice on a cartoon, his character said 'Avante' this morning!
  • phil_rocksphil_rocks Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep its about time peter came out with some new material he s been cashing in again this year with the same old jokes with his new dvd stand up ukay i wonder what the next one will be the best of pheonix nights
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    2 tours and 4 dvd releases off the back of them. The guy is ripping off his fans big time.

His latest one "Stand up Ukay" is just a best off!!!!! We've seen it all before. "Garlic Bread" yeah yeah yeah! It was funny 5 years ago.
    :mad:
  • Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A famous North West comedian (rather famous, own TV and radio series, winner of book awards and that) once told me several stories of Kay being a complete bastard.

Unfortunately I was rather drunk at the time and can't remember any of them.

Sorry about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Kay is a ****, in my honest opinion. If I didn't think it before, I definately do now.

I mean, it's already a cliche that he releases a new DVD every Christmas with absolutely no new material on it whatsoever.

But this year's one is just a joke. Basically, the DVD makers go around and ask members of the public to pick their favourite Kay moments from his past DVDs. The clips are then played.

What's the point, you ask?

Er... *shrugs*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Peter Kay is a ****, in my honest opinion. If I didn't think it before, I definately do now.

I mean, it's already a cliche that he releases a new DVD every Christmas with absolutely no new material on it whatsoever.

But this year's one is just a joke. Basically, the DVD makers go around and ask members of the public to pick their favourite Kay moments from his past DVDs. The clips are then played.
    What's the point, you ask?

Er... *shrugs*

Are you joking? What a complete scam! Am I right in thinking that some people actually complained after buying one of his DVDs only to find it being virtually the same as the one before that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be so bad if it was a collection of clips from loads of tours but he's only done 2!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Mrs C wrote: »
    Loved Neil on PN - Bonnie Langford? Nearly broke her back!! :D:D

Wasn't it Kenny senior who said that ?
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Peter Kay isn't prresenting a version of either 'Blankety Blank' or 'The Generation Game' within the year - I'll bare my backside in Woolworth's window.

Which Woolworths? I think I'll get there early to get a decent view. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it Kenny senior who said that ?

Yeah I think it was. That line was so funny!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,142
    Forum Member
    Are you joking? What a complete scam! Am I right in thinking that some people actually complained after buying one of his DVDs only to find it being virtually the same as the one before that?

Yep, so then he goes and reduces the same old material alll over again! Smart move, you aroggant twunt!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    He really is getting a reputation for being a greedy b*stard isnt he?

He/his management pulled the same trick last year didnt they, when his Manchester stand up DVD was released under another name? I know a number of people that bought it before realising it was exactly the same as the one they already had.

I read his autobiography and although a good read and very funny, Kay himself actually comes out of it looking like a smart arsed, unemployable, big mouthed, full of himself little gobshite.