The Whispers S1 US Pace

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Hmm not sure what to make of this show yet.

The 'whispering' is going to get boring very quickly and I hope it isn't a 'kid of the week' type show where they have to stop a kid from 'winning the game' every week.

But there are enough teases, such as the plane in the desert, to keep me wondering what is going on.

I just hope they get the pacing right, personally I think this would have been better as a mini series as I can see them trying to string it out for multiple seasons.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks good but it's not a show that screams multiple seasons. More like a one off.

But they will drag it out for all they can. They have with Under The Dome and Extant, which should of been just one season shows.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give it a go only because of the wonderful Lily Rabe.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google'll confirm but iiuc it'sa 10eps/13eps and done series.
  • Derek_CooperDerek_Cooper Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    IMDB lists 14 episodes - can't see it going to a 2nd series.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another so so episode. I think this show is better watched in one go rather than weekly but I'm not sure if I can wait that long to watch it all.

I know remember where I've seen this storyline from, it was from an episode of the Ray Bradbury Theater called 'Zero Hour'.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's difficult to know the fate of summer shows because summer shows can get away with rating lower than a show that airs on a normal schedule that will air between September-May.

Mistresses never really has a demo any higher than 1.0 and is now in it's third season
    But then you have a show like Under The Dome that has demo's ranging from 1.2-1.5
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I put it on and after a few minutes I thought I cant be bothered to watch this. However as it is the type of show I would normally get into I think I will come back to it and watch a few eps in a row to see if it grabs my attention then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I actually fell asleep when I was watching this :blush:, maybe it was the hangover or having binged on 3 seasons of Arrow and a season of The Flash in a week. I WILL try this again as a do love Lily Rabe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another episode that is just stringing us along till the big reveal at the end of the series.
    Reminds me of the other scifi show 'The Visitor'.

The only questions for me are 'Is the guy on our side or the alien's side?' and 'Will they win?'

Such a bland role for Lilly, she deserves better.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first two episodes and I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. I can already predict the rubbish we're going to be subjected to. It's derivative, ultra dull and poorly written. No interesting characters whatsoever. No interesting storylines either. I enjoyed The Event and V more than this and that tells you something.

The central premise of the aliens communicating with the children for some nefarious goal just isn't very engaging. And I can't say I'm interested in the 'dead' pilot whose come back and is acting all strange (presumably was experimented on by the aliens). Of course, they had to shoehorn some stock soap opera garbage into the mix by saying the female FBI agent had an affair with the male FBI agent. Other than that, there isn't much going on at all.

Another failure for Steven Spielberg on the TV front if the ratings are anything to go by. I love the guy like everyone else, but he really needs to stop shoehorning children into all of his productions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I watched the first two episodes and I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. I can already predict the rubbish we're going to be subjected to. It's derivative, ultra dull and poorly written. No interesting characters whatsoever. No interesting storylines either. I enjoyed The Event and V more than this and that tells you something.

The central premise of the aliens communicating with the children for some nefarious goal just isn't very engaging. And I can't say I'm interested in the 'dead' pilot whose come back and is acting all strange (presumably was experimented on by the aliens). Of course, they had to shoehorn some stock soap opera garbage into the mix by saying the female FBI agent had an affair with the male FBI agent. Other than that, there isn't much going on at all.

Another failure for Steven Spielberg on the TV front if the ratings are anything to go by. I love the guy like everyone else, but he really needs to stop shoehorning children into all of his productions.

In this case the children are central to the plot, which was taken from a Ray Bradbury Theater episode. That was only 30 mins long so the premise worked well. But they've added the pilot and the affair to string this out to a series.

Lilly isn't a strong enough lead to play an FBI agent, she should have just been a mother of one of the duped children, and no returned pilot.

The strength of the show should have come from the way the children were manipulated.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this case the children are central to the plot, which was taken from a Ray Bradbury Theater episode. That was only 30 mins long so the premise worked well. But they've added the pilot and the affair to string this out to a series.

Lilly isn't a strong enough lead to play an FBI agent, she should have just been a mother of one of the duped children, and no returned pilot.

The strength of the show should have come from the way the children were manipulated.

Really? I didn't know that. I'm not sure it was wise to base an entire series on one episode of The Ray Bradbury Theater. The storyline appears more fit for a mini-series.

I agree about Lilly. I guess Elizabeth Mitchell turned down the lead role, so they cast Lilly instead :D.

I just feel like the central premise isn't strong enough on its own. I can imagine it as a B Plot in another alien series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Really? I didn't know that. I'm not sure it was wise to base an entire series on one episode of The Ray Bradbury Theater. The storyline appears more fit for a mini-series.

If you search on youtube for 'Ray Bradbury Zero Hour' you'll find the complete episode 'The Whispers' is based on.
    It isn't really a spoiler as you already know what is happening, although the ending may or may not be the same in 'The Whispers'.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you search on youtube for 'Ray Bradbury Zero Hour' you'll find the complete episode 'The Whispers' is based on.
    It isn't really a spoiler as you already know what is happening, although the ending may or may not be the same in 'The Whispers'.

Just watched zero hour. They seemed to have changed the girls name from Mink to Minx butt the child actresses are identical. Plus see how they turned normal sized and looking adults into athletic gods and goddesses. I have watched the first 3 episodes and had to fast forward as nothing was happening but angst. How on earth can they spin this out.

I thought it odd that Ray thought all nations getting rid of nuclear weapons would prompt an invasion. These are electrical beings and I don't think yooucoould finjnd a spot to droop a bomb on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched zero hour. They seemed to have changed the girls name from Mink to Minx butt the child actresses are identical. Plus see how they turned normal sized and looking adults into athletic gods and goddesses. I have watched the first 3 episodes and had to fast forward as nothing was happening but angst. How on earth can they spin this out.

I thought it odd that Ray thought all nations getting rid of nuclear weapons would prompt an invasion. These are electrical beings and I don't think yooucoould finjnd a spot to droop a bomb on!

Could be something to do with the EMP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be something to do with the EMP?

The show aired in the early 90s right around glasnost imes and Gorbachev. I suppose Ray was wondered about Russia and perhaps viewing Russia today he might have been right.

Just looked up nuclear EMP or Hemp which is caused if you detonate a bomb in the atmosphere. The only problem is thee aliens seem to have arrived through a back door with the help of the children. I would have like that story to carry on. However modern US stories are full of the macho male with his sun glasses saving the day. I like Barry Sloane as an actor but he is becoming typecast in these roles.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show aired in the early 90s right around glasnost imes and Gorbachev. I suppose Ray was wondered about Russia and perhaps viewing Russia today he might have been right.

Just looked up nuclear EMP or Hemp which is caused if you detonate a bomb in the atmosphere. The only problem is thee aliens seem to have arrived through a back door with the help of the children. I would have like that story to carry on. However modern US stories are full of the macho male with his sun glasses saving the day. I like Barry Sloane as an actor but he is becoming typecast in these roles.

BIB. I'm not so sure that's true any more. The current TV world view is that the leading character is an attractive female, hard-working, a cheating husband in tow, works hard to look after the kids whilst also working as an FBI agent. Despite this, still looks good, usually blonde.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB. I'm not so sure that's true any more. The current TV world view is that the leading character is an attractive female, hard-working, a cheating husband in tow, works hard to look after the kids whilst also working as an FBI agent. Despite this, still looks good, usually blonde.

Almost spot on... but, she's independent (usually single, separated, widowed or divorced mentoring or mothering someone) and works for a government agency (but not specifically the FBI) and she doesn't have to be blond (Peggy Carter in AGENT CARTER for example or Mary Sibley from SALEM).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was an interesting episode. Not sure I liked the way the 'accident' was resolved, looked like the aliens (if that's what they are) sucked the nuclear smoke cloud up for some reason.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an interesting episode. Not sure I liked the way the 'accident' was resolved, looked like the aliens (if that's what they are) sucked the nuclear smoke cloud up for some reason.

I think whoever it was needed it for some reason, maybe it will help them appear in physical form or if it is aliens then help their ships travel.

For me the show gets better with each episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I think whoever it was needed it for some reason, maybe it will help them appear in physical form or if it is aliens then help their ships travel.

For me the show gets better with each episode.

I just thought the 'aliens' would be a bit more subtle than that. Although knowing this lot of humans, they could get away with an Independence Day invasion and the humans wouldn't bat an eye. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Almost spot on... but, she's independent (usually single, separated, widowed or divorced mentoring or mothering someone) and works for a government agency (but not specifically the FBI) and she doesn't have to be blond (Peggy Carter in AGENT CARTER for example or Mary Sibley from SALEM).

Well in this show we have the macho male AND the stereotypical modern female. This one reminds me of the American version of the Killing.

I didn't like the new episode. It seemed everybody in every second was in a state of angst. Old Wes keeps saying he loves his wife and its over with Claire but when he is with her or in fear of her death he demonstrates something else. The show is at too high a pitch all the time. Claires attitude to her husband is weird. ' He wants his son' as if he is evil but she has no idea what has happened to him. As we see it is not Sean who is doing all this but Drill. One would have thought she could figure that out with how many times the name has popped up between both children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well in this show we have the macho male AND the stereotypical modern female. This one reminds me of the American version of the Killing.

I didn't like the new episode. It seemed everybody in every second was in a state of angst. Old Wes keeps saying he loves his wife and its over with Claire but when he is with her or in fear of her death he demonstrates something else. The show is at too high a pitch all the time. Claires attitude to her husband is weird. ' He wants his son' as if he is evil but she has no idea what has happened to him. As we see it is not Sean who is doing all this but Drill. One would have thought she could figure that out with how many times the name has popped up between both children.

I'm still wondering if she'll figure out that Minx actually was at her home with her son. She seemed to believe Minx's lie a bit too easily, especially seeing as it was the Grandmother who said she was there.

This could have been a good show about how the 'aliens' plan to use the children to create a 'mouse trap' like, set of events to create a porthole into our dimension.

Instead we get Lilly with her angst all the time and the pathetic melodrama with her, her husband and her ex partner. rolleyes
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds interesting, any news about if/when/where it'll be shown in UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    sounds interesting, any news about if/when/where it'll be shown in UK?

I think it would be ideal fodder for Channel 5 or one of its sister channels.