Options

Another Tory Election Promise To Be Delayed

greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Rail electrification in Wales according to Mr Crabby on the politics show today delay due to costing more than they first thought.

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that a manifesto promise? All I can find is
    We will invest £38 billion in our railway network in the five years to 2019. Electrification of the railways is a key part of our investment programme, with work already underway across the North, the Midlands, and South Wales; there are plans to go further in the rest of the country, including East Anglia and the South West

No mention of actually completing it or actually doing any more in Wales at all :D
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Was that a manifesto promise? All I can find is

No mention of actually completing it or actually doing any more in Wales at all :D

You obviously didn't hear his election promises in Wales before the election I did :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    You obviously didn't hear his election promises in Wales before the election I did :D:D

Ah right. If you didn't get it in writing ...;-)

To be honest it's news to me he went to Wales.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wales is one of few places in Europe without any electric trains yet. I understand there are some masts outside the depot at Swansea ready for electrification of the Great Western Mainline though.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    In terms of economic benefit there are much more beneficial projects than Welsh electrification. I'm glad they are seeing sense and focussing on better projects.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as Wales gets electricity, the next job is electrification of the trains.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    In terms of economic benefit there are much more beneficial projects than Welsh electrification. I'm glad they are seeing sense and focussing on better projects.
    Are they focusing on ANY projects? Or were the pre-election announcements just that - announcements with no money behind them.

Was the electrification of the Trans Pennine Route - another to be "delayed" - not beneficial enough?
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I'm still waiting for Blair's referendum on Europe, so don't hold your breath OP.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for Blair's referendum on Europe, so don't hold your breath OP.

If they delay that EU referendum, I think my blood pressure will hit the roof.

I think I can safely say that I am now in the 'out' camp rather than my previous position of being in the 'don't know camp'. 2 years is a long time, especially in politics, but I think it would take something exceptional to get me to change my mind now.

I think I've seen enough.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »

Indeed. Why not just come clean and cancel any and all projects outside the M25.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Wales? Surely with all that coal steam trains must be the most cost effective.....
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    If they delay that EU referendum, I think my blood pressure will hit the roof.

I think I can safely say that I am now in the 'out' camp rather than my previous position of being in the 'don't know camp'. 2 years is a long time, especially in politics, but I think it would take something exceptional to get me to change my mind now.

I think I've seen enough.
    I doubt Cameron will delay it. I see him lying to the public about the change to the EU that Britain needs leading to the public to vote to stay in, then after we find out that he couldn't get the deal ad were stuck with the status quo.

Also I assume Op that your not a fan of Mr Stephen "Crabby" Crabb?:D

I was always under the impression he would be a dark horse in the next Tory leadership election? Or is he really a bad choice?:o:confused:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wish they'd delay the lot for 5 years.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is this Wales that people are talking of?

Is it important?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    What is this Wales that people are talking of?

Is it important?

England added it as an annex around 1535 I think, somewhere cool to sit in the summer. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Ah right. If you didn't get it in writing ...;-)

To be honest it's news to me he went to Wales.

Even if it were to be in writing, that's no problem for the Tories, google removal is their friend.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    I doubt Cameron will delay it. I see him lying to the public about the change to the EU that Britain needs leading to the public to vote to stay in, then after we find out that he couldn't get the deal ad were stuck with the status quo.

Cameron can promise all he wants but the public are not going to put up with the flood of migrants currently being given EU citizenship. We all know once they have their passports they will be passengers inside the Eurostar rather than illegals hiding underneath.