Tesco Connect Windows tablets

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
I hadn't seen this until recently: Tesco do an 8 and 10 inch Windows 10 tablet, starting at £99.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/connect-8-tablet-32gb-wifi-with-windows-10-black/712-4494.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=712-4494

Given the quality of the Hudl, and the good customer service from Tesco, I wondered if anyone else had one. The reviews from the 8 inch version look OK so far.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A minor let down on this model is the poor 0.3 MP / 2.0 MP camera combo.

The Linx 810 same price has 2.0 MP / 2.0 MP combo, available on Amazon.

The Linx tablets also have a good (unofficial) support forum (having been around for a couple of years or so). They have proved to be reliable.

However, as you say the HUDLs have been a reliable device, and I am sure Tesco will have done their homework. Also, Tesco's return policy is as good as it gets.

The camera issue is minor anyway. Nobody buys a tablet to be a camera - mobile phones are far superior in that respect.

I think this will make a good Xmas present.

One thing to check is if these new 8" tablets have desktop mode.

For those who upgraded from 8.1, they do have desktop mode, but I believe MS's intent was for new tablets 9" or under would only have tablet mode. If they cannot run desktop apps in tablet mode, that could be a significant limitation.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the Chinese Dual Boot Windows /Android tablets sound great (eg Chuwi Hi8) but whilst they autoupgrade to 10,will they still existon 10 hardware launch day?

It would have been a good idea for the Tesco one to be dual boot too, them thus continuing from the Hudl.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They look nice, 1GB RAM might be a bit tight, but for basic things like browsing and playing media files it should be enough. Office Mobile for free is nice, too.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    They look nice, 1GB RAM might be a bit tight, but for basic things like browsing and playing media files it should be enough. Office Mobile for free is nice, too.

There was a Windows 8 version that came with Office 365. I think this just has the free apps that have limited functionality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    There was a Windows 8 version that came with Office 365. I think this just has the free apps that have limited functionality.

You probably can't expect miracles from the mobile apps, but under 10" you can edit the files, too, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote. I had Office 2013 on 8" tablet for free and it's quite fiddly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably can't expect miracles from the mobile apps, but under 10" you can edit the files, too, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote. I had Office 2013 on 8" tablet for free and it's quite fiddly.

A great program (free) is touchmousepointer which allows the tablet screen to be used as a giant mouse trackpad (like on a laptop).

Makes precision selection much easier instead of "fat finger" issues.

The free office 2013 (for one year) has now finished, but I doubt I would pay the renewal fee now, just to get some extra features (over the mobile versions) that I rarely use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Some of the Chinese Dual Boot Windows /Android tablets sound great (eg Chuwi Hi8) but whilst they autoupgrade to 10,will they still existon 10 hardware launch day?

It would have been a good idea for the Tesco one to be dual boot too, them thus continuing from the Hudl.

On the Linx forums, a guy shows how to make a Linx tablet dual boot Windows/Android.
    Quite how transferable the approach is I could not say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    A great program (free) is touchmousepointer which allows the tablet screen to be used as a giant mouse trackpad (like on a laptop).

Makes precision selection much easier instead of "fat finger" issues.

The free office 2013 (for one year) has now finished, but I doubt I would pay the renewal fee now, just to get some extra features (over the mobile versions) that I rarely use.

I tried it, not for me though, it works as you say as a trackpad and I want to use the tablet as a touch device not as a one with a mouse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it, not for me though, it works as you say as a trackpad and I want to use the tablet as a touch device not as a one with a mouse.

Personal choice, but it toggles on and off.

Ergonomically, I find it is less strain because you can move mouse around with very little arm movement. I just hold pc with right hand and just move cursor with my thumb ie a one handed operation.