Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In (Part 2)

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »

I daresay it bodes well for me - their preview of Under the Lake wasn't very positive, either :p Didn't read like the 4-stars it ultimately got, anyhow.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I daresay it bodes well for me - their preview of Under the Lake wasn't very positive, either :p Didn't read like the 4-stars it ultimately got, anyhow.

Strangely everything they cite to slag it off makes me more interested. Especially after the rather bog standard nature of Part 1. What dull taste some Doctor Who fans have.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

Have to agree with others that their opinion of it actually gives me higher hopes, as it's more in line with what I want. And whilst of course a review is just someone else's opinion, their review for Under the Lake did indeed seem a bit at odds with the rating they gave it... mixed signals.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it that they've criticised is the 'talking, talking, and yet more talking'. I like a face-off with a villain who doesn't necessarily go in all guns blazing and actually has the intellectual capacity to talk with the Doctor. Oddly enough I've seen a few people criticising this 'standing around talking, and not doing anything' approach, and they were often also the ones who were first to call out the Matt Smith era for never bothering to slow down to deliver anything substantial. I do sometimes wonder what some people want from the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If 12 doesn't offer the Fisher King whiskey, I'll be disappointed.
    "Why don't you have a drink, first? It's only human."

"I am not human."

"Neither am I." *small smirk*

<3
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with others that their opinion of it actually gives me higher hopes, as it's more in line with what I want. And whilst of course a review is just someone else's opinion, their review for Under the Lake did indeed seem a bit at odds with the rating they gave it... mixed signals.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it that they've criticised is the 'talking, talking, and yet more talking'. I like a face-off with a villain who doesn't necessarily go in all guns blazing and actually has the intellectual capacity to talk with the Doctor. Oddly enough I've seen a few people criticising this 'standing around talking, and not doing anything' approach, and they were often also the ones who were first to call out the Matt Smith era for never bothering to slow down to deliver anything substantial. I do sometimes wonder what some people want from the show.

It's never been so obvious that by doing one thing you will alienate some fans and the minute you appeal to them you annoy others. It's almost becoming laughable.

Not enough two partners? Ok. Here's some two parters. Oh but two parters are too slow/alienate the casual audience/don't offer enough variation

Matt Smith was too silly? Ok. Here's a new kind of Doctor. A bit more serious and with a darker streak but still the same old Timelord. Oh but he's too grumpy/difficult to relate to/too alien/he puts off casual and younger viewers

The Doctor and his companion having a relationship is too soapy and annoying? Ok. Here is a Doctor/ companion relationship that is more complex than that...it's a deep friendship with a paternal aspect. Oh but the show needs a bit of love and romance otherwise you risk alienating...etc.

Clara doesn't feel like a real human being and instead she is a plot device? Ok. Here's Clara having a career and a home life and a relationship. Oh but no one wants to watch Clara going on dates and her boring work life. Can't it go back to them just travelling in space?

Too many stories set on Earth/Too many stories not on modern earth alienate the casual audience

They overuse the sonic screwdriver/why did they get rid of the sonic screwdriver?

It's on too early- it isn't a kids show!/It's on too late- it isn't an adult show

Moffat keeps reusing old ideas and things from other episodes he's written- has he run out of ideas? Sack him/Whithouse recycles ideas from other people's episodes and his story reminded me of *insert one of many Classic or New Who stories*- it's brilliant how he makes references to old Who and repeats well used themes- its a great idea! Make him show runner.

Sigh.
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The spaceship is a hearse

https://instagram.com/p/8gME_mDqb2/
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    It's never been so obvious that by doing one thing you will alienate some fans and the minute you appeal to them you annoy others. It's almost becoming laughable.

Not enough two partners? Ok. Here's some two parters. Oh but two parters are too slow/alienate the casual audience/don't offer enough variation

Matt Smith was too silly? Ok. Here's a new kind of Doctor. A bit more serious and with a darker streak but still the same old Timelord. Oh but he's too grumpy/difficult to relate to/too alien/he puts off casual and younger viewers

The Doctor and his companion having a relationship is too soapy and annoying? Ok. Here is a Doctor/ companion relationship that is more complex than that...it's a deep friendship with a paternal aspect. Oh but the show needs a bit of love and romance otherwise you risk alienating...etc.

Clara doesn't feel like a real human being and instead she is a plot device? Ok. Here's Clara having a career and a home life and a relationship. Oh but no one wants to watch Clara going on dates and her boring work life. Can't it go back to them just travelling in space?

Too many stories set on Earth/Too many stories not on modern earth alienate the casual audience

They overuse the sonic screwdriver/why did they get rid of the sonic screwdriver?

It's on too early- it isn't a kids show!/It's on too late- it isn't an adult show

Moffat keeps reusing old ideas and things from other episodes he's written- has he run out of ideas? Sack him/Whithouse recycles ideas from other people's episodes and his story reminded me of *insert one of many Classic or New Who stories*- it's brilliant how he makes references to old Who and repeats well used themes- its a great idea! Make him show runner.

Sigh.

It's not even about anyone's opinions on doctor who any more is it.....all that matters is others opinions on the show and getting them all to conform one way or the other

The place really needs to find a way of regenerating or it'll suffer a lasting death
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sigh.

Single most spot on post ever.

Thing is, it's not just Who. The Soap forums are full of the same. I feel even more sorry for the people there because at least Who only has limited yearly episode count. The Soap have five episodes every week to loathe.
  • david_Robinsondavid_Robinson Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    The girl who died: Confirmed for 8.20pm to 9.10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @PatrickMulkern
    Beautiful ep coming soon with @Maisie_Williams
    Written by Jamie Mathieson @Jamti & Mr Moffat
    Directed by Ed Bazalgette @bazal80 #DoctorWho
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    @PatrickMulkern
    Beautiful ep coming soon with @Maisie_Williams
    Written by Jamie Mathieson @Jamti & Mr Moffat
    Directed by Ed Bazalgette @bazal80 #DoctorWho

So looking forward to this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member

Somewhat as expected, but a shame to hear it spoiled so publicly all the same. Someone's really doing a good job there :p
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Article has been removed now.

One of the comments did say that the episode had already aired in the UK when the others were shouting spoilers so I guess the BBC must have moved it to Friday nights without telling anyone :D
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    One of the comments did say that the episode had already aired in the UK when the others were shouting spoilers so I guess the BBC must have moved it to Friday nights without telling anyone :D

I replied to that, realising it was an American guy who simply didn't know that the show goes out on Saturday nights here, or that there isn't a week delay between the UK and the US or something. I wasn't quite sure of what he thought the structure was :p
  • Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the google cache of that removed RT article if anyone's interested.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I found out today from a tabloid TV magazine (not Radio Times) about the guitar playing. About time we had an electric guitar for the theme. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pic of Odin - don't know what the source is. Possibly the next time trailer if a BBCA ep's out early again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a bonus Radio Times cover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a reference to danny pink in the ep.

Maisie didnt know who he was

https://twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/653993157298921472/photo/1
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Christmas episode being filmed at the moment? Haven't heard anything of it yet!

By the way a Will Atkinson on Doctor Who TV mentioned his favourite Bases under siege stories. Correctly identified The Web Of Fear at the number 1 slot, but missed out one of the all time classics. The Moonbase. For me, that is one of the ultimate Bases under siege stories. It's on the moon, no means of escape, being invaded by machines that want to convert humans. Replace The Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone at number 2 with The Moonbase and you've got the perfect list.

Sorry Will, if you're reading this. ;-)
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    Is the Christmas episode being filmed at the moment? Haven't heard anything of it yet!

To my knowledge they wrapped filming a week or two ago...may be mistaken mind you. :) There were a few on-set pictures of the filming posted to the official Instagram.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Christmas special finished filming a few weeks ago.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Christmas special finished filming a few weeks ago.

They must be in post production then?
This discussion has been closed.