Wedding receptions! Need advice ladies!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I need some advice! My ex manager is getting married and she's invited me and some of my colleagues to the night do! Now I'm indian and I haven't been to many English weddings! Just the one! Mainly because I'm 24 and well no one I know has gotten married yet lol. So how do people dress? I was thinking of being different and wearing a sari but they are quiet heavy and extravagant and I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb! So yay or nay?? :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was getting married and had an Indian friend, I'd love them to wear a sari! Sure it will stick out in the sense that English girls don't wear them, but they are beautiful :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite nervous if I do decide to wear a sari that I don't get any funny looks lol. I'll just have to keep jewellery minimal so I don't look to done up. Is there usually ya colour scheme or do you just wear whatever colour you want at the party?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think saris are beautiful and I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't wear one. As long as you don't upstage the bride. And that's unlikely if you're only going for the evening. If there were a colour scheme - very unusual - it would have been on the invitation.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We once went to a sikh wedding and everyone was wear saris ... I felt under dressed. I would wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to clarify Pri, people will be dressed up at the reception, so you won't be odd in that respect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Saris can be beautiful and great for a wedding, but bear in mind colouring, I know a lot of wedding saris can be darker colours (well the ones I've seen anyway, my experience is limited) but generally 'English' (I use that term lightly as just because someone's Sikh doesn't make me non-English!) weddings the guest wear lighter colours - no black as a general rule. So maybe a sari Ina. Light colour?

I think you'll look lovely.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    'English'

An interesting aside, what is the best shorthand term to use when meaning white anglo saxon as the above poster intends ~ so as not to offend anyone. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Wear whatever you feel comfortable in, if you are going for the whole day think comfort as high heels can be tiring if you are standing around for the whole day, but if for the reception - I'd go with the sari if that is what you would wear to a wedding, people do dress up even for receptions If I was the bride I would want you to wear something you were happy in and would be happy for you to appear in a sari think it would be great xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have loved it if a guest wore a sari to my wedding reception :D, the only thing if say is don't wear a white or cream one - too close to the brides dress. And maybe not red as aren't red saris sometimes worn by brides (you obviously will know this, I am thinking allowed)?

Hope you have a brilliant time :)
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Reception I went to and actually DJ'ed at was full of people dressed smartly even I had to put on a nice shirt and trousers. If you wear a sari I think it would look great :)
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the sari! I think they are beautiful.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    An interesting aside, what is the best shorthand term to use when meaning white anglo saxon as the above poster intends ~ so as not to offend anyone. :)

Traditional English would have worked in that context, but it really depends on what is being discussed. no universal shorthand that wouldn't sometimes be inappropriate that I can think of. Sorry.

OP your sari idea sounds lovely, just avoid white. Only the bride gets to wear white I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I've been to lots of English wedding and worn sari's to some and dresses to others. Whenever I've worn the sari no one has ever made me feel uncomfortable or awkward and I've always received lots of compliments. Go with what makes you feel comfortable and confident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Traditional English would have worked in that context, but it really depends on what is being discussed. no universal shorthand that wouldn't sometimes be inappropriate that I can think of. Sorry.

OP your sari idea sounds lovely, just avoid white. Only the bride gets to wear white I think.

In the Indian culture, white is mostly associated with mourning, so I don't think white would be worn to such an occasion anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thank you guys! Sari it is! I'm thinking baby pink :-D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh also this wedding is happening out of the blue. I mean thru recently got engaged and the idea was to get married next year but they thought **** it lets do it so it's not a big do so will a sari still be ok?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pri wrote: »
    Oh also this wedding is happening out of the blue. I mean thru recently got engaged and the idea was to get married next year but they thought **** it lets do it so it's not a big do so will a sari still be ok?

Yes :)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I think a sari is a good idea since you said you are indian. I dont mean that to sound offensive but if someone typically white english wore a sari to a wedding people might think they were trying too hard to make an impression. But if you are a sari wearer you will just look natural in it!

So i would say go for it so long as you arent self conscious if people are admiring you all night!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll put some pictures up later of the selections of saris I have and which colours to maybe avoid :)
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    In the Indian culture, white is mostly associated with mourning, so I don't think white would be worn to such an occasion anyway.

Good point, I was think more about not upstaging the bride, but you are right it's unlikely to be a problem anyway:)
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    My vote goes for the sari. I bet the boss will be chuffed. Somehow a sari will look like someone's really gone put themselves out. Every bride (and groom) surely would like to think that their guests have put time, effort and thought into rheir outfit for their special day.

I'm sure it'll be lovely.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although white and black saris are becoming more common, they are still much more rarely worn than all other colours! In South Asian cultures, white is for mourning, and black just wasn't considered a nice colour for a sari. Bright colours are all the vogue. Western influences have changed that somewhat but not that much.
  • nazandozzynazandozzy Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    pri wrote: »
    I'll put some pictures up later of the selections of saris I have and which colours to maybe avoid :)

Oh yes please do, I would LOVE to see them, as I am sure would many others on this thread :) They always look so beautiful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sari's always look lovely, just go less than you would normally on jewellery. Definitely stay away from white, red or black. Baby pink sounds a winner :)

Or why not a dressy salwar khameez or something - they can look just as stylish and lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Although white and black saris are becoming more common, they are still much more rarely worn than all other colours! In South Asian cultures, white is for mourning, and black just wasn't considered a nice colour for a sari. Bright colours are all the vogue. Western influences have changed that somewhat but not that much.

I have about 10 black sari's of various types :o, I love them.