barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why do people dislike him?

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is percieved as middle class so I think a lot of the dislike aimed at him is down to inverted snobberry

It's as if some people think only the working class should be allowed to make music
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I dont mind him, its his wife I wanna punch
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    He is percieved as middle class so I think a lot of the dislike aimed at him is down to inverted snobberry

It's as if some people think only the working class should be allowed to make music

Is he?

There are many middle-class singers actors etc...?

Is he a snob though? Is it because he hardly does any interviews?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She's harmless enough
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »
    Is he?

There are many middle-class singers actors etc...?

Is he a snob though? Is it because he hardly does any interviews?

I'm not saying he's a snob, just that there is sometimes an undercurrent of inverted snobbery because some people think he's middle class
    Forum Member
    She's harmless enough

Nah... she wound me up once
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah... she wound me up once

Fair enough
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member

I wouldn't go that far but I understand where you are coming from, she is done up like a dogs dinner and he just looks dirty,but he has a couple of songs I liked.

My husband can't stand him so they are perceived as the gruesome twosome in our house.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's too bland to hate.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle class, middle of the road, mild mannered purveyor of middle of the road music for other middle class, middle of the road people. The human equivalent of beige wallpaper.
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im working class and I don't mind him. I have mixed feelings about his wife she comes across o.k on t.v interviews then spoils it with that Goop thing she does.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike Coldplay, a beige band. His other arf seems a bit like she wants to live in an ideal world were everything is just so.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a knob
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    Middle class, middle of the road, mild mannered purveyor of middle of the road music for other middle class, middle of the road people. The human equivalent of beige wallpaper.

It's more to do with the fact that despite being all of the above, he's a very wealthy and successful performer while other more exciting, innovative musicians get overlooked.
    Forum Member
    It's more to do with the fact that despite being all of the above, he's a very wealthy and successful performer while other more exciting, innovative musicians get overlooked.

No I think Elnombre was closer
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nah.

It's because his music is about as exciting and appealing as a cup of cold sick and he and his wife are smug, supercilious, self satisfied mung bean quaffers who preach about the environment whilst flitting round the globe on their fleet of private jets. I imagine a night at their gaff is a complete barrel of laughs. A little humility wouldn't go amiss from either of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't aware there was a law stating that music had to be exciting or innovative
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind him but hate his nasal whiny voice which has spoiled a few of their good songs for me
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Nah.

It's because his music is about as exciting and appealing as a cup of cold sick and he and his wife are smug, supercilious, self satisfied mung bean quaffers who preach about the environment whilst flitting round the globe on their fleet of private jets. I imagine a night at their gaff is a complete barrel of laughs. A little humility wouldn't go amiss from either of them.

I second that, well said
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in the world is disliked by someone. With the case of Chris Martin its mostly through jealousy, the fact that hes a very wealthy man with a perfect life whereas theyre stuck behind a computer with no friends and no life.

And thats the real reason
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn! ^
    Yep. I'm well jel of the curly haired bedwetter :rolleyes:
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in the world is disliked by someone. With the case of Chris Martin its mostly through jealousy, the fact that hes a very wealthy man with a perfect life whereas theyre stuck behind a computer with no friends and no life.

And thats the real reason

And that's the most comically infantile post I've seen in some time.

How sad for you that being rich and plain are your only measures of success and that a veneer of wealth and fame amount in your view to a 'perfect life'.

Even if you are to assume that we're all that shallow, I'm not sure why you think we'd be 'jealous' particularly of someone who attained his fortune by playing it safe to a bunch of mediocre milk-sops rather than the great many daring and creative artists in the world who achieved their success through innovation and originality.

It does amuse me that even a defender of Martin chooses, rather than citing anything special in any of his work, to hold up his wealth and fame as his sole achievements. Truly, let's all bow down in deference to our betters. ;)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    He's fine by me. I love Coldplay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Even if you are to assume that we're all that shallow, I'm not sure why you think we'd be 'jealous' particularly of someone who attained his fortune by playing it safe to a bunch of mediocre milk-sops rather than the great many daring and creative artists in the world who achieved their success through innovation and originality.

Why is music only deemed to be worthwhile if it's innovative and original and made by daring and creative artists??
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's ok = his wife on the other hand.