Options

Pound Shop Wars BBC1 8pm tonight

Comments

• Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a one off episode of this in November 2012 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nts9x

Seems this is a four part series. I wonder if it was filmed at the same time and if so why it's taken so long to air!
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These stores are always trying to cut each others throats, in East Ham Poundland reduced everything to 97p as Poundworld opened up next door, though saying that the 3p drop in East Ham could send Poundworld skint :D
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that store manager is a David Brent wannabe
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    OH ffs that narrator!

Worst accent ever.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those bras don't even last long
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    Those bras don't even last long

they cost a pound you don't expect Victoria's Secret do you ?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    These stores are always trying to cut each others throats, in East Ham Poundland reduced everything to 97p as Poundworld oped up next door, though saying that the 3p drop in East Ham could send Poundworld skint :D

The bra wars is going to send one of them bust.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH ffs that narrator!

Worst accent ever.

That's Caroline Aherne for you. She is Denise Royle, no distinction.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a load of crap. I didnt even last 10 mins, why is the UK's main TV channel showing this?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for poundstrechers. On a non-delivery day they like to have just one on till, and a manager

I love poundstrechers they do those huge boxes of Twinings tea like 7 quid in the supermarkets 3.50 there :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's the most useless thing you bought from a pound shop?

I once bought a hand held fan which had an attachment that turned it in to a drink stirrer. First time I tried it I ended up with tea all over my keyboard. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So having more till staff on didn't increase sales???
    Yeah...I don't believe that for one minute. I think they were just using the BBC as a forum for their propaganda.
    That being said; What do people expect from a cheap shop?
    If you want better customer service you have to pay more.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    I love poundstrechers they do those huge boxes of Twinings tea like 7 quid in the supermarkets 3.50 there :o

Dow egberts coffee..... 2.99, an all.....
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a one off episode of this in November 2012 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nts9x

Seems this is a four part series. I wonder if it was filmed at the same time and if so why it's taken so long to air!

Just did a search on Google press articles about the £1 bra are all from June last year, so this episode at least was recorded fairly recently, but does feature most of the people who appeared in the one off from a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Poundland will be in spain by Summer, 3 or 4 stores planned at the moment.

Apparently they want to float the business on the stock market, and need so many stores to achieve this.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I work for poundstrechers. On a non-delivery day they like to have just one on till, and a manager

They should call it staffstretchers .
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    extraextra wrote: »
    I've seen a big chunk of this before, is it a repeat?

It is a follow up series to an hour long documentary last year that featured that irritating jerk of an assistant manager. That programme also featured the boss of 99p Stores, who was much nicer. The Pound world employers seem dreadful to work for.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The narrator's voice is really grating.
    quatro wrote: »
    Jeez she sounds like she's been drinking all night and been awake for 48 hours. So slow and drawly and sounds like a child.

I may have to switch off because of this awful accent.

Agree with you both. I've heard her narrate before and it wasn't as bad as it was in this programme. It's like she's dragging her words on purpose, but can't figure out why.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pound shops are great for light bulbs, not a large selection, but often half the price of Wilko's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    You have to be concerned at the power of Poundland when they can cut their prices to lower than Poundworld can even make a profit at...
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    This is a real case of Deja Vu, this may be a new series but didn't another channel do this with some of the same characters? :o

Yes, I know for sure that I watched some other show which was the same thing last year.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    If Poundland and Poundworld both decide to sell the bras.... will it be tit for tat?

that was a hell of a batter boob/bra joke that the ones the guy on the show used , they were just terrible
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    that was a hell of a batter boob/bra joke that the ones the guy on the show used , they were just terrible.
    S&M in Poundland?
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Just watched this. Love programmes like this! lol

I can't tell the difference between Poundland and Poundworld, we just call them the pound shop.

Where I live we have a pound shop next to a home bargains, a B&M a couple of minutes away in one direction and the other pound shop a minute away in the other direction.
    Never short of a bargain. lol

And as for the narrator - I thought at first it was Jane Horrocks.
    I recognised the voice but couldn't place it til I saw her name.
    Her voice didn't bother me. It fit the programme, somehow!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed it, so will watch tonight, as on again @ 11:25 :p