Options

World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Bower is BBC's best commentator imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    sat-ire wrote: »
    They don't re-caption at half-time or full-time?

I didn't realise that, I suppose it's something I never paid attention to - thanks for the info.

No, the style doesn't allow for that with the score in the bottom left.
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Yes, at the International Broadcasting Centre. In the past, the BBC have used their own studios but budget won't allow that now

It's actually about 30km down the coast in Copa
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Some of the idiots on Twitter (though not everyone on there as it'd be unfair to tar everyone on there with one brush) do need to grow up and get a life.

Yes ideally the window could well be replaced but it's really not the end of the world - and if people are criticising an entire broadcast over it they really do need to get a life.And this mob attitude on Twitter sometimes is awful - particularly the "Everything ITV do is awful" narrative. And I have to say I normally think ITV are awful so it's not as if I'm an ITV defender but I think they've been grea this World Cup and would be criticised by some people whatever they do.

It's a logistical nightmare! Plus it's not up to ITV in this instance.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well unfortunately as a big fan of both, I am in a catch 22 situation, listen to 5lives commentary with the legend Greeny, or stick with BBC TV Commentary and listen to the thoughts of Lawro.

Thoughts?

Anything to switch Pearce off.

I never liked JP but during the last WC I changed my mind about him as some of his ridiculous lines seemed to disappear and anything he said couldn't be as bad as "Goal for Africa".

The last few days he's really embarassed himself.

Also, one thing massively evident earlier was Townsend's lack of knowledge on the Algerians.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy on RTÉ was just caught out saying "Fcuking...Neymar " at least two times live in air, O'Herlihy then said with a rather shocked face that "we are live on air" :p haha you could not beat RTÉ's coverage.

Here it is ... https://vine.co/v/MI2pqHTiujX :D

I am disappointed at not getting RTE`s coverage on Sky, thought it would be on as they showed the Confederations Cup last year. RTE have always had a good football ethos, showing more games than the British channels. Dunphy is good craic.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pity Hansen didn`t take Mark Lawrenson off with him when he retired to that great golf club in retirement land.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theboyfold wrote: »
    No, the style doesn't allow for that with the score in the bottom left.

It's actually about 30km down the coast in Copa

It's a logistical nightmare! Plus it's not up to ITV in this instance.

Are you arius the 2nd?
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    Are you arius the 2nd?

He isn't, but if you have seen a shot of the outside of the studio, it's quite clear it isn't the International Broadcast Centre unless they decided to build the IBC as a ramshackle building straddling a road :D
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we really reached the stage where commentators are now having to read out tweets from viewers during their commentaries?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    Are you arius the 2nd?

I have no idea! Mainly as I have no idea who he is :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Have we really reached the stage where commentators are now having to read out tweets from viewers during their commentaries?

I was thinking that too. What do we gain from it? (rhetorical question)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Colin87 wrote: »
    I was thinking that too. What do we gain from it? (rhetorical question)

They've been doing that on American Sports for years, heard it on cricket too,
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    They've been doing that on American Sports for years, heard it on cricket too,

And in BBC and Sky's F1 coverage too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    And in BBC and Sky's F1 coverage too.

Yes, I don't have a problem with it at all. I remember David Coleman once saying (during commentary) that a viewer had phoned up the BBC with a question about the game and he proceeded to answer it.

No difference really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I don't have a problem with it at all. I remember David Coleman once saying (during commentary) that a viewer had phoned up the BBC with a question about the game and he proceeded to answer it.

No difference really

The difference is that Pearce just read out the fairly standard opinions of a couple of random Twitter users, along the lines of "If Brazil don't improve, they'll lose".

To me that's not viewer interaction, it's just pointless time-filling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The difference is that Pearce just read out the fairly standard opinions of a couple of random Twitter users, along the lines of "If Brazil don't improve, they'll lose".

To me that's not viewer interaction, it's just pointless time-filling.

I don't think the Coleman example was any different to be honest.

Wasn't the viewer's tweet a question about Paulhino?

The medium of communication may have changed but I have heard commentators on some sports read out viewer's comments on a number of occasions.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    BBC winning World Cup ratings war so far after day 5 - average shares:

BBC1 - 40pct [35pct excl England]
    Itv - 31pct
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think the Coleman example was any different to be honest.

Wasn't the viewer's tweet a question about Paulhino?

The medium of communication may have changed but I have heard commentators on some sports read out viewer's comments on a number of occasions.

I think there were 2 tweets (besides the Sturridge one) and admittedly I didn't catch what the first one was about, but the second was definitely just a statement.

Sky F1 tweets (I can't vouch for the BBC coverage) have always been, to the best of my knowledge, technical questions - the answers to which would be of interest to many other viewers. That's different - I see that as being in the same mould as the Coleman example. Pearce's attempts (and I know he's just being told what to read) sounded to me like superficial "interaction" just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    BBC winning World Cup ratings war so far after day 5 - average shares:

BBC1 - 40pct [35pct excl England]
    Itv - 31pct

Interesting stat but to be frank, I don't anyone really cares about this 'ratings war' - it's just creating competition between BBC and ITV for the sake of it. Especially since basically it's not a huge difference. Maybe those are the ratings shares but I doubt there's a 'ratings war' as such.

Both I'm sure are happy with their ratings and I doubt there's anyone in real life (except Gazza here) thinking 'Oh that game's on ITV so I won't watch it' or the same with the BBC. It's basically saying who has the more attractive games (and therefore a higher share).
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Steve Bower is BBC's best commentator imo.

He was unlucky to get such a lousy game the other night, but he's got Italy-Costa Rica on Friday so hopefully he'll be able to shine.

Bower's done well, but for me, Wilson has been by far the best of the UK brigade up to now.

However, last night I thought Ian Darke and particularly Taylor Twellman were sensational for ESPN on the USA-Ghana game1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think there were 2 tweets (besides the Sturridge one) and admittedly I didn't catch what the first one was about, but the second was definitely just a statement.

Sky F1 tweets (I can't vouch for the BBC coverage) have always been, to the best of my knowledge, technical questions - the answers to which would be of interest to many other viewers. That's different - I see that as being in the same mould as the Coleman example. Pearce's attempts (and I know he's just being told what to read) sounded to me like superficial "interaction" just for the sake of it.

A question is just a question, isn't it? I know it's Pearce bashing season (and he had a mare the other day). But he is far from the first TV (or radio) commentator to read out viewer correspondence.
  • Options
    chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else seeing a constant flickering in the top left of the screen as you look on all the BBC World Cup games? It's happening on both of my TV's and it's becoming annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the BBCs coverage really like some of their pundits, Seedorf, Henry and Lennon especially. But can't stand Savage and Lawenson especially on co-comms when you can't switch off.
  • Options
    ontheradioontheradio Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    It's probably already been said - But where is Alan Hansen?
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Mark_spy wrote: »

To be fair it is better than having no pundit or host and just showing the games.
    From reading the comments it sounds like Sony six have catered for most indian preference and tried to mix Indian and English type coverage by having John Abraham and indian host and at the same time had Crouch, Silvestre and other pundits.

Creating pundit show is quite difficult in India anyway with half the population wanting English Punditry and the other half wanting Hindi Punditry. In Cricket Star sports does both with one channel having English coverage of the India game and the other having Hindi commentary.