Options

Who's been on the Coronation Street set tour?

JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
Forum Member
✭✭
See title.

Would love to hear people's experiences; I'm booked for later this month!!!! :D:D:D:D

Comments

• Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Here's a blog I wrote about my experience:

http://coronationstreetthetour2014.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    wallabinowallabino Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Yes I went in April not long after it started. when you first turn up you can see the Kabin through the gates and it's quite weird after seeing something on TV for so long to see it in real life. There's a canteen waiting area where they show a documentary on the move to the new set in Salford. You get called in in groups every half hour or so. Our tour guide was sligthly annoying, trying to be funny, but he meant well.

OK so into studio you go, sit in green room and see the pigeon holes where the scripts are left for each actor. Walk down the corridor past the fround floor dressing rooms (these ones are mostly for the older stars) and they're pretty small, with mirror and space for a bed or chair. Reminded me of student accommodation. PS You're not meant to use your camera in studio and I got caught at this point oops :-) At the end of the corridor is the dress/make-up room, so got to see token character clothes inc Carla's wedding dress.

Now it's into the studio. First you go into an area where they show a 5 minute Corrie compilation of past 50+ years. First set you are then taken to is Carla's first appartment, not sure if was in Victoria Court? Not a memorable set so don't know why they couldn't have used a different one. Then past Gail's/David's which looks so small compared to what you see on TV. Then into the Rover's which again feels tiny. There's a camera on the wall which should take a pic of you behind the bar but it wasn't working the day I went, so tour guy took pics of us with our cameras. Through the toilet door and you end up in an open space which has a few items such as plaques from the coffin's of deceased characters and Hayley's recent coffin is there. Into Underworld and listen to some audio and get informed none of the machines actually work the noise is dubbed in afterwards.

Back out and see the interior of stephanie Beacham's barge - again surely a better set could have been shown! OK next set is Tyrone's which is better, has the bar and pic of Jack and Vera. I was at the back and sneakliy trying to take pics but most came out blurry as the flash wasn't on. Last bit is an area showing polystyrene rubble from tram crash, witness appeal sign and some items such as Deirdre's glasses circa late 70s/early 80s.

Now you're taken to the inside of the Bistro, not the studio set, and when the doors are opened you're on Coronation St! Again looks smaller then you think and it's a bit surreal seeing it in real life. Unfortunately the tour I went on was about 8pmish so it was twilight and would probably have been better in the daytime. Ran around taking pics, getting pics without starangers outside the Rovers is a nightmare as everyone lingers around it for a while. You can see into the houses if you look through the letterboxes etc and they are empty shells. Was poking my eyes through the letterbox to the flat above Audrey's and some girl was like 'excuse me' and wanted to get in. for a second I thought wow people live here, but turns out it's the staff common room :-)

Round the corner by Roy's Rolls is the exterior for Victoria Court and the other way past the chip shop is just a bridge with a painting of a street. Went down the alley and into the Rover's back yard. Finally headed into the Health Centre which is the gift shop which has items I've not seen in shops before - mugs, bags etc. Was pretty dark by the end but managed to get some good pics. Would definitely recommend it!
  • Options
    Wheeler2Wheeler2 Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went . I thought it was okay . It was a bit disappointing to learn it wasn't all real haha (even though I knew it wasn't )

I shall go back to my imagining it's real people , on a really street ,living in real houses ....
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    I've been and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Here's a blog I wrote about my experience:

http://coronationstreetthetour2014.blogspot.co.uk/
    wallabino wrote: »
    Yes I went in April not long after it started. when you first turn up you can see the Kabin through the gates and it's quite weird after seeing something on TV for so long to see it in real life. There's a canteen waiting area where they show a documentary on the move to the new set in Salford. You get called in in groups every half hour or so. Our tour guide was sligthly annoying, trying to be funny, but he meant well.

OK so into studio you go, sit in green room and see the pigeon holes where the scripts are left for each actor. Walk down the corridor past the fround floor dressing rooms (these ones are mostly for the older stars) and they're pretty small, with mirror and space for a bed or chair. Reminded me of student accommodation. PS You're not meant to use your camera in studio and I got caught at this point oops :-) At the end of the corridor is the dress/make-up room, so got to see token character clothes inc Carla's wedding dress.

Now it's into the studio. First you go into an area where they show a 5 minute Corrie compilation of past 50+ years. First set you are then taken to is Carla's first appartment, not sure if was in Victoria Court? Not a memorable set so don't know why they couldn't have used a different one. Then past Gail's/David's which looks so small compared to what you see on TV. Then into the Rover's which again feels tiny. There's a camera on the wall which should take a pic of you behind the bar but it wasn't working the day I went, so tour guy took pics of us with our cameras. Through the toilet door and you end up in an open space which has a few items such as plaques from the coffin's of deceased characters and Hayley's recent coffin is there. Into Underworld and listen to some audio and get informed none of the machines actually work the noise is dubbed in afterwards.

Back out and see the interior of stephanie Beacham's barge - again surely a better set could have been shown! OK next set is Tyrone's which is better, has the bar and pic of Jack and Vera. I was at the back and sneakliy trying to take pics but most came out blurry as the flash wasn't on. Last bit is an area showing polystyrene rubble from tram crash, witness appeal sign and some items such as Deirdre's glasses circa late 70s/early 80s.

Now you're taken to the inside of the Bistro, not the studio set, and when the doors are opened you're on Coronation St! Again looks smaller then you think and it's a bit surreal seeing it in real life. Unfortunately the tour I went on was about 8pmish so it was twilight and would probably have been better in the daytime. Ran around taking pics, getting pics without starangers outside the Rovers is a nightmare as everyone lingers around it for a while. You can see into the houses if you look through the letterboxes etc and they are empty shells. Was poking my eyes through the letterbox to the flat above Audrey's and some girl was like 'excuse me' and wanted to get in. for a second I thought wow people live here, but turns out it's the staff common room :-)

Round the corner by Roy's Rolls is the exterior for Victoria Court and the other way past the chip shop is just a bridge with a painting of a street. Went down the alley and into the Rover's back yard. Finally headed into the Health Centre which is the gift shop which has items I've not seen in shops before - mugs, bags etc. Was pretty dark by the end but managed to get some good pics. Would definitely recommend it!

Fab reviews, thanks! Am so excited. :)
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend went and brought me back a Rita fridge magnet.
  • Options
    Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went last Friday, done everything wallabino said except there wasn't any video while we waited for it to start... that was on in the greenroom but didn't get to see much of it due to the guide talking...

Greenroom Top Tip - Make everyone think your a smartarse when the guide asks why it is called the greenroom... be first to say It's from Shakespearian times when the actors used to place lots of plants in their dressing rooms to help with their breathing... ;-)

Overall it was good but the guided bit was rushed and there was no time to ask any questions...

Get your photo taken in the Rovers even if you think you won't want it... when you see all the others on show in the Gift Shop you'll be disappointed you didn't... you are under no obligation to buy...

General Top Tip - Stay at the back of the group after each stop and if you have your camera ready and you're quick, once the guide is out of sight snap away...
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I am going in a couple of weeks.......so excited :D
    General Top Tip - Stay at the back of the group after each stop and if you have your camera ready and you're quick, once the guide is out of sight snap away...

.....will do :cool:
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »

Have fun LL! Let us know what you think of it.
  • Options
    Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband and I went in April. We enjoyed it so much. It is a shame we live so far away as I would have liked to go again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I'm going in about three weeks, am taking my mum as a present for her birthday
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Have fun LL! Let us know what you think of it.

Thank you HarkAtHer, I will bore everyone with all the details after my visit, I'm even counting down the days and have got a new camera and everything......:blush:
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Took my lovely old Nan on the Granada studios tour back in late 80s, remember going into rovers return and this Was the actual studio they used at time, remember it being very small, so we had to go in few time can't remember much else accept we walked past Alf Roberts Shop (now cabin) and think curly watts and steph? were on set or something, and they came overtones talk at end of tour
    Thats all I can remember
  • Options
    LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    See title.

Would love to hear people's experiences; I'm booked for later this month!!!! :D:D:D:D

James you are in for a treat! :D It was amazing. would love to go again.
    I went last Friday, done everything wallabino said except there wasn't any video while we waited for it to start... that was on in the greenroom but didn't get to see much of it due to the guide talking...

Greenroom Top Tip - Make everyone think your a smartarse when the guide asks why it is called the greenroom... be first to say It's from Shakespearian times when the actors used to place lots of plants in their dressing rooms to help with their breathing... ;-)

Overall it was good but the guided bit was rushed and there was no time to ask any questions...

Get your photo taken in the Rovers even if you think you won't want it... when you see all the others on show in the Gift Shop you'll be disappointed you didn't... you are under no obligation to buy...

Charley, I was there last Friday too! As we were wandering round the Cobbles, I was trying to imagine how many DS'ers were there. :D
    Lucy Lou wrote: »

.....will do :cool:

Lucy I can guarantee you will enjoy it. My daughter lay on the cobbles outside the builder's yard while I took photos! Make sure you go into Gail's back garden and the Guinnel. Wish I'd been brave enough to sneak some pics in the studio set.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone who has been on this tour tell me if it has good access for wheelchairs? Obviously I have checked with the people running the tour but it would be good to know from someone who has actually been on it.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to go here again as I went back in 1994/5 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously the studio side of things wasn't available back then so that will make this tour even more special for long time fans. I was interested to read that they have made the Health Centre the gift shop for this tour as this was where the old tour gift shop was and the exit out.

Once out onto the external lot are you able to enter the units that have practical interiors? I would love to do something as geeky as stand behind the counter of Prima Doner :D
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I went in April.

My favourite bit was walking down the street as you could take pictures down there. Inside was abit rushed but I did have a nice tour guide.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I've been and it was amazing! :D have fun! enjoy it x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on the Granada Street tour in 1988 or 1989, took my kid sister as a birthday treat.

Can't remember much about it as I was drunk at the time.
    My sister said I really embarrassed her and annoyed the guide, by constantly mucking about and making terrible gags.
    I think I did impressions of Deirdre and Terry Duckworth as well.

The other people in our group were laughing though, and when they had a collection at the end for the guide, a couple of them pointed at me and said he should get it.

If anyone on here was on that tour, I apologise, it was the drink talking. :)
  • Options
    MissLcMissLc Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I went in May, our tour guide was slightly over the top but the inside tour was OK. We had more fun on the outside set, even buying character masks from the gift shop to wear around ha ha! I like the sound effects around the back of the Rovers and in the back gardens. Had a better day than I expected!
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I went in April, 5 hours on a train and worth every minute. Walking onto the street was the most surreal moment of my life! In the green room there were pigeon holes for the cast, including the late Betty Driver with a script in it. Got me a bit emotional!

The guide was amazing, all the staff are well trained and can pretty much answer any Corrie related question.

Make sure you have a proper look around as you can get into Gails back garden and the ginnel as well as the actual street.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it is probably no longer there due to the Quay Street backlot being extended but when I was on the "old" tour I clearly remember to this day being surprised walking around a corner and coming face to face with the facade for Sooty's shop :D

For anyone who went on the old tour who from the cast did they have when you were there? We must have been on a busy interior filming day as all we got was the actor who played the Texan that went out with Gail (I think it was)
  • Options
    minigockominigocko Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Was planning on visiting the set in September as part of a day trip from Ireland, got cheap flights with ryanair, is it worth it travelling from Ireland to see the tour, will it be worth paying for flights, tickets, etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved it, it was so interesting and very surreal walking out into those cobbles. Tour guide was brilliant. Was so shocked at how small the sets are, especially the inside of the Rovers. It's a shame the tours are only ten minutes apart as I would have liked longer to see the sets, but it was a fantastic experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Me and my parents are going on July 27th. So excited :)
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went for the second time yesterday. Still a tad rushed but otherwise great stuff.