Options

What will the Scottish Referendum mean for The Eurovision Song Contest.

BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
Forum Member
✭✭
To be honest this is all I care about.

Comments

• Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well apparently you have to be in the European Broadcasting Union to take part. So if there's a yes vote, Scotland will probably need to join that and then they can enter. Doesn't seem difficult to join - everyone and their brother is in it.

No vote would see no change I'd imagine.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of this thread?

You didn't feel this could go in any of the other half a million independence threads?

Or even in a more appropriate sub-forum? Politics? Chatter?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really! You have all my sympathy. I expect they will be able to submit their own song. There will not be a "yes" vote anyway so it will not arise.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

You didn't feel this could go in any of the other half a million independence threads?

You are SO right. I should have thought about this waste of internet space before posting this thread.

What is the point? Of any of these threads?

Maybe I actually care?

• Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Krankies, Lulu, Fran & Anna (you gotta check them out:D :o ) lets whhhheeeeeel em' all out :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Well apparently you have to be in the European Broadcasting Union to take part. So if there's a yes vote, Scotland will probably need to join that and then they can enter. Doesn't seem difficult to join - everyone and their brother is in it.

No vote would see no change I'd imagine.

You know waaaay too many Eurovision rulings :D
    But thanks and yes, I guess you're right. Israel are an entry after all.

Maybe if we split the UK up into enough different countries the we can block vote each other like the ex- Soviet Union countries etc..
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Krankies, Lulu, Fran & Anna (you gotta check them out:D :o ) lets whhhheeeeeel em' all out :cool:

Oh my flipping God - for a minute there, I thought you were saying the Krankies had done the Eurovision Song Contest! I had to quickly Wiki them to find out (before I made a fool of myself and said "Ooh really? I didn't know they'd done Eurovision!") :o:D

(Thereby winning The Most Gullible FM on DS award 2014.)

Edit: And it just dawned on me that my search history now has me looking up info on the bloody Krankies - I'll have to wipe my history now before someone finds out!)
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know waaaay too many Eurovision rulings :D
    But thanks and yes, I guess you're right. Israel are an entry after all.

Maybe if we split the UK up into enough different countries the we can block vote each other like the ex- Soviet Union countries etc..

Victory....within our grasp once more. Like it
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would say don't worry yourself too much, if Israel can enter I am sure they will let Scotland even if they do Veto it's EU membership.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can't be too sure, in a yes win by march 2016 they will be independent the deadline for entering for the 2016 contest will be in autumn 2015 so unless there is special treatment then they will have to wait till 2017 to get an entry. This will only be if the new Scottish broadcaster is deemed independent enough with enough PBS programming to gain membership or whether STV will retain the membership it already has as part of the ITV membership and that's if SVT want to enter. They will eventually get to sing at Eurovision but they will have to qualify through the semifinals so they will need some good entries
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good advice, there.
    You get a much better class of heckling posts elsewhere.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer's obvious. We would give Scotland's entry 12 points and Scotland would give our entry nil points :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good advice, there.
    You get a much better class of heckling posts elsewhere.

Oh you're so sensible Dave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    The answer's obvious. We would give Scotland's entry 12 points and Scotland would give our entry nil points :D

:D

Then I will vote No #MakingYourMindUp
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

A member's concern, a bit of fun and to give the odd whinger something else to moan about.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It means that they'll still be competing as part of the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy Connolly singing one of his funny cover songs would be a clear winner :D
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Except that it would be disqualified, as they have to be original songs. (Not that it stopped 2003's winner being a blatant rip-off of "Kiss Kiss".)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    ^ Except that it would be disqualified, as they have to be original songs. (Not that it stopped 2003's winner being a blatant rip-off of "Kiss Kiss".)

Boo!! In The Brownies is hilarious :D ;-)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It now means no change at all