Options

Diane Abbot on This Week

Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't worry, I know I'm probably the only one watching this :p but Diane Abbot is just so RUDE! I used to like her but I go off her more and more every time I see the way she constantly interrupts everyone and the way she bullies and hectors guests.

There was one time I saw when she met her match though - I can't even remember who it was now but it was quite funny to watch. :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    i completely agree, Esther is quite a strong person, but still did not manage to complete a statement,without Dianne,butting in.

I also believe Michael is quite intimidated by her.!

(Good tv though)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was inevitable that she would go for Rantzen. Says something about the state Labour are in that one of their most visible MPs would rather attack the person challenging that vile slug Margaret Moron than condemn one of their own on-screen.

They really need a bigger sofa. That one will disappear up the crack of her arse soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i completely agree, Esther is quite a strong person, but still did not manage to complete a statement,without Dianne,butting in.

I also believe Michael is quite intimidated by her.!

(Good tv though)

It is good Tv i agree! :D I don't think she should be axed or anything, just that they should have some more robust guests who stand their ground better. I actually think Michael takes it all in his stride quite well (even today when she called him and Ester Z-list celebs :eek: ), and imo he's always much more effective when he makes a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dianne Abbot,was prepared for Esther, and I thought she was quite 'hostile' towards her in her replies.
    Also she has this really annoying habit,of talking with her eyes closed, a trait, I personally find mistrustful in someone.
    (IMO)
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saying the same thing in the politics forum - she's constantly rude to the guests when they come on.

Very unprofessional.

She's a bright, articulate lady and is more than capable of challenging people without being rude and patronising towards them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    She's absolutely loathsome. Smug, arrogant, hypocritical and extremely rude to any guest that even slightly disagrees with her.
  • Options
    rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I think Abbot and Costello (Portillo) are fantastic on this show.

I remember when Andrew Neil was a presenter on LBC in the early nineties and I do enjoy his style of presentation.

In some ways I liked the way Diane gave Esther a hard time, ok so she's a pensioner but I think she does need a bit of a reality check as to what she wants to achieve.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Can I point out that Diane Abbott worked as a researcher on TV-AM, which was where Esther Rantzen worked on...I read the tension stemming from that!

Also I agree with Diane in the sense that Ester does not have a connecvtion as such to the seat she'sd fighting - I don't think for a single second think Diane would even attempt to defend Margaret Moran so that isn't why she was annoyed - rather I think she was annoyed at Esther's generalisation of politicians as a whole!
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Abbot and Costello (Portillo) are fantastic on this show.

I remember when Andrew Neil was a presenter on LBC in the early nineties and I do enjoy his style of presentation.

In some ways I liked the way Diane gave Esther a hard time, ok so she's a pensioner but I think she does need a bit of a reality check as to what she wants to achieve.

They are a good double-act but I wish Diane would afford the guests the same respect she gives Michael when she disagrees with him.
  • Options
    ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Glad it wasn't just me who thought she was so very rude to Esther, at one point she was glaring at her, then did the closed eyes thing. Surprised Andrew didn't intervene and let ER put her point across.

Michael Portillo just oozes charm IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Also I like the way Diane is on the show as it is obvious as to the people she likes, loathes and hates - it's good having people who do not hide anything and what you see is what you get!

I also love her views of fellow Labour backbenchers and her opinions of the government too...all very very refreshing as she doesn't hold back. I wish Andrew hadn't interrupted her when she was going to say something about Sir Stuart Bell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Esther may get a seat, and everyone in the house will be afraid of her reputation as the big 'exposer of people'.
    Saying that though,on question time it was inferred it is only a matter of time until ALL mp's are corrupted.
    She may turn!
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This would be the Esther who spunked her reputation as a consumer journalist to advertise for ambulance chasers on telly would it?
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Esther may get a seat, and everyone in the house will be afraid of her reputation as the big 'exposer of people'.
    Saying that though,on question time it was inferred it is only a matter of time until ALL mp's are corrupted.
    She may turn!

All MP's are corrupt, they find ways of bending the rules and covering themselves. Every couple of elections it is exposed again and nothing changes. They are like bankers, newspapers they regulate themselves and then find ways to bend them. Really a big reform is needed to the point of somewhat a revolution. No elected MP should have a right to decide what benefits they should recieve, how much goes on their allowances etc a full independant non-elected group should be in charge of that and held accountable to the Queen. Clearly MP's can't be trusted or behave, time the Nanny State provides a Nanny back their way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    All MP's are corrupt, they find ways of bending the rules and covering themselves. Every couple of elections it is exposed again and nothing changes. They are like bankers, newspapers they regulate themselves and then find ways to bend them. Really a big reform is needed to the point of somewhat a revolution. No elected MP should have a right to decide what benefits they should recieve, how much goes on their allowances etc a full independant non-elected group should be in charge of that and held accountable to the Queen. Clearly MP's can't be trusted or behave, time the Nanny State provides a Nanny back their way.

Ha! A Nanny-Nanny! (or a Super-Nanny!)
  • Options
    Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    I really don't think she'd frighten anyone. Her sudden interest in politics is really rather sad, and seems little more than a last-ditch attempt at reviving her long dead career. I didn't see this particular appearance, but every time I've seen her talking politics previously she's come over really poorly.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Go Dianne - I am bored of Esther and her sanctimonious self publiciism.

Dianne Abbott at least believes in something - I have no idea what Esther's policies are on anything substantial.

I am far more concerned about what my prospective MPs views are on the economy. housing. etc etc. I really don't care about a few million on expenses when we are hundreds of billions in debt.
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    she was called out as a total hypocrite in the media a few years back for sending her kid to private school having slagged off tony blair and harriet harman for doing exactly the same thing. she also failed to declare thousands of pounds in earnings for tv appearances and had to apologise to parliament for that. she generally just comes across as an overbearing, pompous, sanctimonious, patronising, supercilious old sow.
  • Options
    brodybrody Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Go Dianne

Indeed, if only she would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chwast wrote: »
    she was called out as a total hypocrite in the media a few years back for sending her kid to private school having slagged off tony blair and harriet harman for doing exactly the same thing.

Oh yes.. i remember that, and when Andrew grilled her about it on This Week, she denied slagging off Harman and played the race card to explain why the state system wasn't good enough for her son, but still standing by the principle that it was good enough for everyone else. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eve3275 wrote: »
    Oh yes.. i remember that, and when Andrew grilled her about it on This Week, she denied slagging off Harman and played the race card to explain why the state system wasn't good enough for her son, but still standing by the principle that it was good enough for everyone else. :rolleyes:

Doesn't his Godfather Jonathan Aitken pay for his schooling
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she talked like a fool about Esther being 'parachuted in' to Luton - since when did the political parties shy away from that? Pretty poor, too, calling her a z-list celeb with her history of consumer journalism & charity work, which seems to make her very suited to parliament.

Enjoyed Andrew Neil thundering back at her, though. :)

DA's behaviour wouldn't have irritated me so much if she hadn't fawned all over N Dubz the other week. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve3275 wrote: »
    ...when Andrew grilled her about it on This Week, she denied slagging off Harman and played the race card to explain why the state system wasn't good enough for her son, but still standing by the principle that it was good enough for everyone else. :rolleyes:

That was absolutely pathetic. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think she'd frighten anyone. Her sudden interest in politics is really rather sad, and seems little more than a last-ditch attempt at reviving her long dead career. I didn't see this particular appearance, but every time I've seen her talking politics previously she's come over really poorly.

I think she just wants to be useful & needed in society at a time in her life when she's written off because of her age. That may seem a bit poignant but it's not a bad motivation for a constituency MP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Was inevitable that she would go for Rantzen. Says something about the state Labour are in that one of their most visible MPs would rather attack the person challenging that vile slug Margaret Moron than condemn one of their own on-screen.

They really need a bigger sofa. That one will disappear up the crack of her arse soon.

Hear Hear.

She was offensive, obnoxious and acted like a supercilious old mare toward Esther Rantzen for which there was no necessity. I found Dianne Abbot to be deliberately hostile toward ER and found it a little embarrassing to watch and I also detest the way she keeps her eyes closed when talking in a demeaning fashion.

By all means, if you disagree with someone, then challenge them on the point but there was no need for her to refer to Esther as 'z list celebrity' in order to put her down.

Dianne Abbot talks a lot of drivel most of the time anyway. She faffs around with words which appear totally inane most of the time and which adds nothing at all to the crux of the matter unlike Michael Portillo who is always more erudite and thinks about what he is saying.