Destiny

Comments

• seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegeta wrote: »
    looking at the a few youtube videos the ps3 version looks quite decent. The only thing I don't like are the shadows, they look really blocky almost like spectrum graphics for some reason.

but don't forget it's only a beta,
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have another go today, maybe it will get better. Just realised what it reminds me of. Borderlands with Killzone graphics. I didn't like Borderlands.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the beta include PS3? If so does anyone have a spare key? I really don't wish to pre-order a game that I haven't tried and that I might potentially buy packaged with a PS4 (if it's as great as I want it to be)

Thanks in advance to any kind stranger that is generous enough to share.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I'll have another go today, maybe it will get better. Just realised what it reminds me of. Borderlands with Killzone graphics. I didn't like Borderlands.

That sounds like the perfect combination to me lol
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Finally got my email from Bngie last night at 11.55pm, so not a lot of use there. Tried to download this morning, got several error messages before finally downloading the small file (50mb or something), that worked, and left to come to work with the PS4 downloading the full 13gb file. So hopefully will get to pay it this weekend. Must be honest it's been a complete "cluster f*ck" by Bungie, hopefully the game will launch better in October.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just taking a quick break from playing to say I absolutely LOVE this so far.
  • AkimboGeordieAkimboGeordie Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Just taking a quick break from playing to say I absolutely LOVE this so far.

I'm with you on this one FF ... Fantastic

I fell in love with the Halo franchise in 2001 with CE and I can see this happening all over again with Destiny.
  • ClanroydenClanroyden Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I haven't had so much fun with an fps on console since Halo. Obviously MS wanted Bungie to carry on making Halo and Bungie wanted to do Destiny. As it turned out, it's great for me as this runs superbly well on PS4. This and Infamous look like being my favourite games on the new console so far.

If anyone wants to do some co-op add me to your friends list- my PSN id is Laverlaw
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    Does the beta include PS3? If so does anyone have a spare key? I really don't wish to pre-order a game that I haven't tried and that I might potentially buy packaged with a PS4 (if it's as great as I want it to be)

Thanks in advance to any kind stranger that is generous enough to share.

I got bored waiting for my code from Bungie so just did a digital pre-ordered (you can cancel yor pre-order anytime before the payment window, first week in Spetember). Downloaded it overnight. Had a quick 10 minutes before I had to leave for work and I like it.
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Gormond wrote: »
    That sounds like the perfect combination to me lol

With a slight Fallout post-apocalypse feel and almost Halo-like score.

Ticking boxes.
    Forum Member
    Do you need to use a mic to communicate or is it not really needed, and if so is the one we got with the PS4 ok?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing it again today. It's got a lot better. Certainly much better than Halo. Quite stable for a beta. It's really more of a demo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you need to use a mic to communicate or is it not really needed, and if so is the one we got with the PS4 ok?

I maintain radio silence unless I'm playing with real-life friends. (Although I think my camera probably picks up my general swearing and shouting at the children / cats)

The supplied mic is cheap and cheerful, but it gets the job done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In two minds about getting it, while I like it, I suspect I'd get bored of it quite quickly.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I maintain radio silence unless I'm playing with real-life friends. (Although I think my camera probably picks up my general swearing and shouting at the children / cats)

The supplied mic is cheap and cheerful, but it gets the job done.

Same for me FF.

I'm starting to enjoy Destiny now - after getting used to the nuisances of it. - how to upgrade weapons/hardware, how to do missions effectively.. I think it has a lot of promise, I just hope the content is up to scratch in the final version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had 3 or 4 hours on it yesterday morning and really enjoyed it. Going back to the tower to buy/trade your upgrades is so much better than some dull old menu system.

The story gameplay feels fresh, dramatic and energised - so much more fun than the likes of COD, BF and even, dare I say it, the original Halo.

Only had 1 quick PvP game so far, but first impressions were positive.

I had a further 4 hours replaying the story with a RLF last night and it was a different experience again.

It looks and feels great and plays really well. So as long as the campaign can offer a substantial and diverse experience, then this will be a day 1 purchase I think.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone pre ordered from Zavvi got a beta code yet for the X1?
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this! Just had a kick around with a football on the tower too with some other people, was quite funny.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Anyone pre ordered from Zavvi got a beta code yet for the X1?

Edit - ignore me .. lol
    Forum Member
    Well leveled to 8 on a Warlock this weekend, and completed all the missions including the strike mission. So far so good, enjoying it.

My only worry, is the longevity of the game, will people be still playing it 3,4 or 6 months after it launches? And my other problem with these type of games is you never really get any more powerful, because as you increase so do the enemies, so really what's the point, I know this is a problem with many MMO type games, but GTA V managed it well, you gained skills etc but the enemy didn't become significantly harder, just maybe more intelligent and more of them and better weapons.

At least with say WOW there's bragging rights etc to having the best gear, but I can't see this happening in this type of game, because of the way it's structured your not really going to go back to missions you've already done. Destinys downfall could be "Planetside" when we see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had my first go at the Destiny beta on the PS4 yesterday.

First impressions are that its a much higher res "borderlands" due to the RPG elements but after playing for a few hours I also got a "nights of the old republic" vibe.

None of this is a critisism, far from it, after playing Destiny its turned me from someone who wasnt really interested in the game into a day one buyer.

Few niggles are the what feels like excessive loading times (at least on my PS4) it felt excessive.
    also not sure what to make of the timer that shows up once you have compleated a mission, either end the mission or let me carry on exploring, whats the point in only having 60 seconds or so to plod around a deserted area?

I liked the "blackout zones" that limit respawning as it added a nice difficulty step up.
    Forum Member
    ^^ Yeah I'm not sure I liked the count down at the end, what if I wanted to go back and a mooch around?

Another thing thats worrying is "Old Russia" going to be the only place we get to visit on Earth? I ask this because on the Beta it shows the moon as the next progression, but says it's locked as its the Beta. If so this could turn out to be a very short game!! The explore section is ok, but there's only so many "docking caps" you can get before it becomes boring. And I like the way the zone "repopulates" with the enemy being dropped in, and it's very fast at re-spawning, sometimes a bit too fast.

And I thought when the "timed public special events" popped up you could spawn straight to them, if you were in the zone?, didn't seem to be that way this weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Yeah I'm not sure I liked the count down at the end, what if I wanted to go back and a mooch around?

Another thing thats worrying is "Old Russia" going to be the only place we get to visit on Earth? I ask this because on the Beta it shows the moon as the next progression, but says it's locked as its the Beta. If so this could turn out to be a very short game!! The explore section is ok, but there's only so many "docking caps" you can get before it becomes boring. And I like the way the zone "repopulates" with the enemy being dropped in, and it's very fast at re-spawning, sometimes a bit too fast.

And I thought when the "timed public special events" popped up you could spawn straight to them, if you were in the zone?, didn't seem to be that way this weekend.

Totally agree,
    I understand that there will not be a shortage of places to visit both on earth / moon / other planets like Mars.

I liked the quick spawn times as it made the games premise of "an area swarming with bad guys" appear more real rather than the standard clear an area then when the game reloads all of the bad guys are back but also agree that the respawns can be a bit too fast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, the whole Solar System will be available to explore. That's why you need a warp drive.

The pop-up events were good. A bit like the ones in Defiance that you need to do in a group (if your group knows what they're doing and don't kill the God-damn skitterlings all the time>:(). A few of us were trying to take out a spider-tank thing the other night with a 5 or 6 minute timer. And later, clear out 3 areas of enemies, again, on a timer.

As with a few posters above, after spending a bit of time on the beta I am a little worried about the longevity.
    Forum Member
    WE had the spider tank drop on us and I was the only guy shooting the legs, there was about 5 others in the zone, just fighting the mobs, it wasn't until we got to about 2mins left did they start firing on the actual target.

The strike mission does remind me of an "old style" Everquest raid, where when you get them down to about 5th of the mobs life and the fights been going on for 15 mins, you've just gotta "burn em down".

I bought a cheap £10 mic from Tescos on Saturday, but no one seems to use them, not on a strike mission or PVP, I can see the flashing speaker symbol on my screen, but can't actually hear anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people now don't talk in public. It's mainly party chat. The kids and idiots ruined it. I'm not too fussed, I was never a big talker in-game. Unless it was to give advice or relevant information.

Plus, my language is terrible, people would end up muting me. :D