Options

Study - E-cigs effective quitting aid - Health lobbyists stick fingers in ears

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/20/e-cigarettes-nicotine-patches-smoking-study
The study, by a team from University College London, looked at attempts of nearly 6,000 people to stop smoking and found that, while engaging with the NHS smoking cessation services was the most effective way to quit, using e-cigarettes beat nicotine replacement therapy, as well as the efforts of people to stop with no help at all.

Professor Robert West of the department of epidemiology and public health, the senior author of the study, said that it was extremely important to find out how well e-cigarettes worked as a quitting tool. "It really could affect literally millions of lives. We need to know," he said

Sadly, the health lobbyist continue to wage their war! For example, Spain is now enforcing heavy restrictions and e-cig usage has plummeted. Apparently half of people now believe e-cigs are just as bad as regular tobacco thanks to health lobbyists scaremongering. A state in Australia has banned them altogether!

And then there's this lot...
Pharmaceutical companies such as GSK and Pfizer, which make smoking cessation drugs, are among the opponents of e-cigarettes. "They are losing sales hand over fist to e-cigarettes and are incentivised to make it appear they are not effective," said West.

Wonder if the health lobbyists and pharma are connected in some way?

Comments

• Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly helped me, I ain't smoked a real tab in almost 2 years.
    Currently vaping a lovely Blueberry flavoured juice.
    Tobacco conglomerates and the taxman are livid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    My husband was a 25 a day smoker for 25 years. He has now entered his 3rd week of not smoking thanks to Ecigs :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ecigs helped me a huge amount, i wouldn't have been able to quit smoking without them
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah that "la la la, I'm not listening" approach to studies. Do you reckon they learned it from Hollywood?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    TBF e-cigs weren't really invented for giving up (the manufacturers would be on a bit of a loser if that were so). They were to get round the smoking ban. That's what I use them for, and that's what they're annoyed about.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    TBF e-cigs weren't really invented for giving up (the manufacturers would be on a bit of a loser if that were so). They were to get round the smoking ban. That's what I use them for, and that's what they're annoyed about.

But they are better for you, you don't smell, they are cheaper so I don't get what the problem is :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    But they are better for you, you don't smell, they are cheaper so I don't get what the problem is :confused:
    Me neither. I do prefer a real ****, but that's just me. An e-cig is a good second choice.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I prefer to smoke a real **** rather than an E-Cig but I'm sure they have helped people to quit smoking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I prefer to smoke a real **** rather than an E-Cig but I'm sure they have helped people to quit smoking
    Yup - it's not what they were meant for, but if it helps people to give up, it's a welcome side-effect.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The E-cig companies are not greasing the correct palms.
  • Options
    rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    I went on the e **** not intending to give up, I liked smoking and vaping was the healthier alternative to having a bad morning cough, wheezing chest and smelling like an old ashtray..

I lasted about 3 weeks on them, best thing I ever did, tried off an on for years to give up smoking, I was an extremely heavy smoker, I would light one of another when I was drinking, a big 50g pouch of baccy would last me barley 4 days. Anyhow I haven't smoked since 21st July 2012 and vaped for around 3 weeks after that.

I would recommend vaping, it helped me to give up the **** been nicotine free now for almost 2 years,
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    The E-cig companies are not greasing the correct palms.

or the greasing right poles :D
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    My mate at work makes me laugh. There are a few vapers there, and most have the ones that look like a large clear pen, usually hanging round their necks on string. He, however has one that looks like a real cig permanently between his fingers, except when he takes a drag, the end lights up bright green. :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/20/e-cigarettes-nicotine-patches-smoking-study

Sadly, the health lobbyist continue to wage their war! For example, Spain is now enforcing heavy restrictions and e-cig usage has plummeted. Apparently half of people now believe e-cigs are just as bad as regular tobacco thanks to health lobbyists scaremongering. A state in Australia has banned them altogether!

And then there's this lot...

Wonder if the health lobbyists and pharma are connected in some way?

I said this a long time back on these very forums that the likes of Pfizer who basically fund ASH and are amongst the largest donors to Cancer Research UK and the BHF were against them as they were denting their sales of nicotine replacement products, these people have too much influence and unfairly so
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    My mate at work makes me laugh. There are a few vapers there, and most have the ones that look like a large clear pen, usually hanging round their necks on string. He, however has one that looks like a real cig permanently between his fingers, except when he takes a drag, the end lights up bright green. :D

Thats what makes me laugh about train companies and pubs who ban them as they say people think you are smoking a real cigarette, since when are we suppsoed to believe the people of this country allegedly become so thick that they cannot tell a real ciggie does not glow green or blue ?
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Thats what makes me laugh about train companies and pubs who ban them as they say people think you are smoking a real cigarette, since when are we suppsoed to believe the people of this country allegedly become so thick that they cannot tell a real ciggie does not glow green or blue ?
    And there is the shisha style ones that bear more resemblance to a biro than a cig
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Thats what makes me laugh about train companies and pubs who ban them

Many are setting policy on the advice of the British Medical Association - who are fiercely opposed to e-cigs...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9026811/the-bmas-bizarre-jihad-against-e-cigarettes/

I suspect the BMA and it's members have deep (financial) links to Pharma. There's no other rationale for their crazy stance.
    The BMA said: “We welcome some of the specific public health initiatives in the white paper, particularly the ban on e-cigarettes, which is consistent with BMA policy in that the safety of the devices is still unproven but there is also the concern about them normalising smoking.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/public-health-bill-could-seminal-6988688

Just Google the BMA and e-cigs, and you'll witness dozens of news reports and blogs covering the BMA relentless campaigning against vapers. Unfortunately, these are the kind of people who have the ears of our policy setters.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said this a long time back on these very forums that the likes of Pfizer who basically fund ASH and are amongst the largest donors to Cancer Research UK and the BHF were against them as they were denting their sales of nicotine replacement products, these people have too much influence and unfairly so

Its not loss of sales of NRT what the pharmaceutical industry are scared of the profits from NRT products are tiny compared to the profits from drugs for the treatment for lung cancer and chronic respiratory disorders, big pharma don't want smokers to quit. Cancer Research UK and ASH should be ashamed of themselves putting their own interests before public health.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to try one, but don't want to spend too much incase I don't like it.

Also do you sit and smoke it like a real **** or it is more a couple of drags every so often?
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm convinced that it's the Cigarette companies behind the bad press against e-cigs. They don't want to lose their sales, and have deep pockets.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would be the absolute best thing since sliced bread if the Government could slap tax on them or the big Pharma could get their hands on them. The same applies to all cigarette manufacturers. They missed a trick! None of them can afford anyone to stop smoking and that is the very last thing they want. That is all this hypocritical crap is about and It makes me sick! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'd love to try one, but don't want to spend too much incase I don't like it.

Also do you sit and smoke it like a real **** or it is more a couple of drags every so often?

I presume you are already a smoker.

If so you can buy a basic starter e-cig from most local convenience shops for around a tenner now, which contains the refillable vaporiser, battery and charger. A little 10ml bottle of e liquid should then cost around £3. That basic one should do to give you an idea of whether you will be happy to move over to e-cigs. The liquid comes in a myriad of flavours too, including standard tobacco, half strength, Virginia tobacco, menthol, cherry, chocolate etc. etc. etc.

Or you could try one of the single throwaway e-cigs that some places now sell. Generally around £4 and are roughly equivalent to 20-30 cigarettes.

You just take a few drags whenever you feel you want a smoke. How many drags at a time is up to you, but obviously the more drags the more nicotine just like smoking more cigs.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we need to get all the MPs addicted to the stuff. Tell them it masks the smell of bulls**t and they'll buy it so fast we'll have to wait for more from China
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume you are already a smoker.

If so you can buy a basic starter e-cig from most local convenience shops for around a tenner now, which contains the refillable vaporiser, battery and charger. A little 10ml bottle of e liquid should then cost around £3. That basic one should do to give you an idea of whether you will be happy to move over to e-cigs. The liquid comes in a myriad of flavours too, including standard tobacco, half strength, Virginia tobacco, menthol, cherry, chocolate etc. etc. etc.

Or you could try one of the single throwaway e-cigs that some places now sell. Generally around £4 and are roughly equivalent to 20-30 cigarettes.

You just take a few drags whenever you feel you want a smoke. How many drags at a time is up to you, but obviously the more drags the more nicotine just like smoking more cigs.

Yeah I am a smoker, I have a superking smooth cig every 2 hours, so would any of those options be a suitable replacement for that?

I do enjoy going out the back with my book and having a cig, so slightly worried that an ecig would take that away if I can just do it where I am sitting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched to e cigs at the beginning of Feb and haven't had a cigarette since, I think they are amazing and as long as they are around I'll never smoke another ****:)