Options

Students complaining about university courses

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
They were on the radio, complaining about how awful their courses were, and how they did not get enough lectures or contact with tutors. Are they entitled to "value for money", now that university courses are so expensive ?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    They were on the radio, complaining about how awful their courses were, and how they did not get enough lectures or contact with tutors. Are they entitled to "value for money", now that university courses are so expensive ?

yes of course and they were before too.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since the coalition moved all further/higher education into the private sector under worse conditions (200,000 "new jobs" magically appeared from nowhere), i dare say many staff are now somewhat disillusioned ........
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. Of course.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a daft question. If you spend money on anything, you are entitled to value for money.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they have a right to address problems with courses
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be having an off day. I actually took the OP seriously, then I realised Petertard started it.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Erm, yes.

Why wouldn't they be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Must be having an off day. I actually took the OP seriously, then I realised Petertard started it.

I didn't notice that....I won't bother now either.
    I shall peel potatoes instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they is getting an education, wot a lot of people don't get. Shouldn't they just be grateful for what they got ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But they is getting an education, wot a lot of people don't get. Shouldn't they just be grateful for what they got ?

if you paid for fillet steak and got mince how grateful would you be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you paid for fillet steak and got mince how grateful would you be?

If I went to a foodbank, I would be grateful for what I got.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I went to a foodbank, I would be grateful for what I got.

great.

so, if you paid for fillet steak and got mince how grateful would you be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my day, we didn't pay nothing for education, and we was grateful for wot we got. I wouldn't touch no fillet steak, coz it is cow and the mad cow disease put me off the beef.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my day, we didn't pay nothing for education, and we was grateful for wot we got. I wouldn't touch no fillet steak, coz it is cow and the mad cow disease put me off the beef.

so now that one DOES have to PAY towards their degree they shouldn`t moan about the quality of education they are receiving?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so now that one DOES have to PAY towards their degree they shouldn`t moan about the quality of education they are receiving?

That is the question. Does paying lead to an entitlement ?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell, it's Ali G.
  • Options
    JacobArtoisJacobArtois Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    University is to some extent about learning to learn independently, anyway.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The value for money in higher education is in keeping the dozy duffertards off the unemployment statistics and into Golf Course Business Management Studies. A bit like how the value of DS is in keeping the petertard out of the way of the Real World.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is the question. Does paying lead to an entitlement ?

it certainly reinforces it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But these students, see, they is undergraduates, and they don't know as much as their lecturers, who is professors, who would know more, they the students is criticizing them, so it is all a bit sort of not quite right.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But these students, see, they is undergraduates, and they don't know as much as their lecturers, who is professors, who would know more, they the students is criticizing them, so it is all a bit sort of not quite right.
    Do you think they are playing dumb for attention? I mean, who in their right mind would want to resort to that?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you know what euthanasia is, peter?
  • Options
    Forum Member

you aren`t funny, just really cringey, i`m actually blushing for you.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on. I'll take the bait, despite everything else in me telling me not to.

The 'learning' element of a course is only part of it. It could be that there aren't enough books in the library; assignments regularly aren't marked in an acceptable timeframe, with very little, if any, feedback; course admin and paperwork aren't up to scratch. I could go on before actually getting to the quality of lectures. Pay around £9000 a year, and experience things like that, and you may be left wondering what you're actually paying for.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are times that students have valid complaints about how courses are run and their interaction throughout studying. But those complaints were valid even before they had to pay increased fees.

The problem is some students interpret the fact they have to pay more as meaning they should get more for the increased fee. From the Universities point of view though, they are not getting more money, it's just coming from a different source. Course content is the same because it's always costed that much to produce however in the past the government have funded most of the cost with students contributing a little. Now students are paying the entire cost.

It also depends on the nature of the complaint. Many complaints that are just disagreeing with their final result generally have no merit but some students think because they've paid a lot of money then it should guarantee a good pass. Unfortunately that's not how academia works!