DVD ripping software ?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Anyone know of any reliable DVD to PC ripping software ?

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try these free programs
    Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/
    Tutorial here http://www.techhive.com/article/242876/how_to_rip_a_dvd_with_handbrake.html

Freemake http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ take care during installation to avoid unwanted toolbars etc.

An oldie http://www.dvdshrink.org/what_en.php

You may also need http://www.dvd43.com/

Plenty of paid-for programs to choose from such as http://www.dvdfab.cn/

Have a look here http://bestfreedvdripper.aolor.com/
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're wanting to decrypt any DVD from 2005 onwards, forget about DVD Shrink. I think DVDFab is great. For converting, HandBrake is great software.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 to the suggestion to use Handbrake. It can make fantastic quality rips.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is good advice available online on getting Handbrake to work with copyright protected DVDs. It's not complicated and it works.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Madras wrote: »
    +1 to the suggestion to use Handbrake. It can make fantastic quality rips.

handbrake alone can't actually rip protected DVDs though.
    it needs something else installed to do that.
    handbrake alone is simply a conversion tool.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    IMHO anydvd is the best decrypter available. not cheap though.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    handbrake alone can't actually rip protected DVDs though.
    it needs something else installed to do that.
    handbrake alone is simply a conversion tool.

As mentioned in the Handbrake tutorial link in post 2
    "Disclaimer: To rip encrypted DVDs, you'll need the DVD43 plug-in, which circumvents the publisher's digital rights management technology. Such procedures currently occupy something of a legal gray area. You probably won't face any legal consequences if you simply rip your legally purchased movie collection for your own use, but we're just going to present the instructions and let you decide for yourself whether to follow the steps. PCWorld is not responsible for any damages that result from this how-to."
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

Agree about it being the best decrypter,

For conversion Freemake does just about any format to any format and includes DVD burning as well. The only thing I would add has already been mention and just make sure you untick the options on the installer to avoid adware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just watch the industry go after the company that makes this next.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MakeMKV a simple tool for this.
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the whole suite of Slysoft programs including anydvd. I bought a lifetime licence several years ago when it was very cheap. It was the best purchase of software I have ever made.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper but can take ages to rip a Blu-ray does DVD to I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper but can take ages to rip a Blu-ray does DVD to I think.

DVDFab took just over 30 minutes to to decrypt one of the DVDs I've got that was protected. I can imagine a protected Blu-Ray taking about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
    Forum Member
    i remember when shrinking a dvd from DL to SL was an over night job.

now i can do it on the fly with two drives. takes 10 minutes.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the whole suite of Slysoft programs including anydvd. I bought a lifetime licence several years ago when it was very cheap. It was the best purchase of software I have ever made.

seconded - make sure you keep that registration file safe!
  • Colin CulkColin Culk Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I have used Handbrake for odds and ends for many years, and find it to be an excellent piece of software. However now I am embarking on an important project to transfer loads of home recorded DVDs to my PC. Could anyone please give me advice (or point me to advice) on how to keep the file sizes down?

The DVDs I am copying are VHS transfers of old camcorder videos from back in the day, so the quality is obviously not great in the first place. Obviously I don't want to deteriorate the quality any further, but at the same time the settings I have used to date seem to produce massive files.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep. Computers are getting faster as the years go by.
    Forum Member
    Colin Culk wrote: »
    I have used Handbrake for odds and ends for many years, and find it to be an excellent piece of software. However now I am embarking on an important project to transfer loads of home recorded DVDs to my PC. Could anyone please give me advice (or point me to advice) on how to keep the file sizes down?

The DVDs I am copying are VHS transfers of old camcorder videos from back in the day, so the quality is obviously not great in the first place. Obviously I don't want to deteriorate the quality any further, but at the same time the settings I have used to date seem to produce massive files.

one of the down sides to converting vhs is that all this snow and picture noise introduced by the tape is actually very hard to do digitally. so applying a bit of noise reduction, as much as you can really, without losing detail.

keep the resolution to that of the dvd, or at least no higher.

then make sure you are using h264/x264 with a rate factor of about 20. if you're happy with that then you could up the RF until the quality goes below what you think is acceptable.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

zx50 wrote: »
    Yep. Computers are getting faster as the years go by.

And yet as a sign of todays society, thats too long for the .... i want it now ..... kids of today (and some adults as well) :o:D

Its not just re computers, society in general has less patience.
    But supose thats a thread for another forum :)
  • Colin CulkColin Culk Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    one of the down sides to converting vhs is that all this snow and picture noise introduced by the tape is actually very hard to do digitally. so applying a bit of noise reduction, as much as you can really, without losing detail.

keep the resolution to that of the dvd, or at least no higher.

then make sure you are using h264/x264 with a rate factor of about 20. if you're happy with that then you could up the RF until the quality goes below what you think is acceptable.

Thanks flagpole, I will give this a try.