Options

Do you decorate for Halloween?

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I realise Halloween isn't really a big thing in the UK (as big as it is in the USA anyway), but I was just wondering if any forum users decorate their place for Halloween?

I have never had the chance, but since I got my own place this year, I shall really enjoy decorating and going all out for Halloween, giving sweets to trick or treaters and whatnot. It's going to be a blast.

If you do decorate, where do you get your Halloween decor from? I have looked at the usual (Amazon, eBay, Etsy) and not really found much, and the supermarkets seem to be stocking up on Christmas stuff rather than Halloween items right now.

Halloween has always been the highlight of my year. I love it more than Christmas. :blush:

Comments

• Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually just go to a friend's or have friends over to watch horror movies.

It's a lot of fun, especially when the girls start screaming. :D
  • Options
    SethComplexSethComplex Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Definitely do the movie thing, tend to buy a cheap pumpkin and carve that as well!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think a lot of women just go out without make up
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I do as there are lots of kids around the street so I usually just do the windows and a bit outside. We usually have a Halloween party for all the kids too which is nice.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooo!
    Kids from streets away threatening to egg your house if you don't give them sweets or dosh!
    Eww!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    i think a lot of women just go out without make up

:D:D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I decorate the front door with barbed wire.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D

And another :D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kids and Mr H carve pumpkins and leave em with candles in on the front lawn.

No kids ever knock here. My own kids go a couple of miles down the road to the village with their mates and the neighbours' kids, now in their 20s, maybe were the only ones to knock when they were little. My two youngest are now at high school but still went last year.
  • Options
    lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I love Halloween...one of my sons has his Birthday at end of October and many many years ago we decided to have a Halloween party for his Birthday and continued ever since....everyone gets dressed up, the kids are now grown up, and all our friends come too, great fun, and fab looking back at all the photos every year :D:D

We have a huge collection of Halloween decorations, that's been accumulated....probably too much mwah ha ha :D. I've bought my stuff from the supermarkets like Asda etc, and online..... And noticed that where years ago you could hardly get anything, you can get lots more now, as it's become much bigger here.

I know loads of folk who get irritated by Halloween, but we have always had such a laugh at our parties, and it's something everyone looks forward to every year, and just a bit of fun ....:D:D
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    No, I've always thought Halloween was the Devil's Birthday. I only celebrate Easter, New Year and Jesus' Birthday (Christmas).
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    S'funny how lots of people say Halloween is really an American thing which we don't do over here.
    I recall, back when I was a kid, that Halloween always entailed hacking away at a pumpkin (and being forced to eat the dreadful pumpkin soup my mum insisted on making), putting spooky-looking candles in the windows, making costumes to go trick or treating and going to some kind of party that involved apple-bobbing.
    These days, I hardly see anybody doing anything special for Halloween.

Seems, to me, like although the supermarkets are trying to encourage us to buy Halloween tat, we're actually less interested in it than we used to be.

Must say, I kinda like the way the yanks make an event of it.
    It's something to look forward to during the winter.

Also, FWIW, I thought it was supposed to be a good thing.
    I seem to recall that all the ghosts and ghoulies are supposed to come out on Midsummer's night and Halloween is when they go back to the underworld so you're celebrating seeing the last of them for another year.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's nothing wrong with a black bin bag and a mask no need for fancy outfits, WELL ITS WHAT WE USE TO WEAR lol :D
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predator costume with a dressing gown and slippers springs to mind

You can't really have fun like that anymore there are too many killjoys around
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    Not at all.

I'm with you on that one.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear my long black hooded robes, motorcycle mask and prowl the grounds of old folks homes whilst carrying this.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Not normally but this year I will be I'm having a Halloween party at my house. Just an excuse to dress up and get pissed.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    S'funny how lots of people say Halloween is really an American thing which we don't do over here.
    I recall, back when I was a kid, that Halloween always entailed hacking away at a pumpkin (and being forced to eat the dreadful pumpkin soup my mum insisted on making), putting spooky-looking candles in the windows, making costumes to go trick or treating and going to some kind of party that involved apple-bobbing.
    These days, I hardly see anybody doing anything special for Halloween.

Seems, to me, like although the supermarkets are trying to encourage us to buy Halloween tat, we're actually less interested in it than we used to be.

Must say, I kinda like the way the yanks make an event of it.
    It's something to look forward to during the winter.

Also, FWIW, I thought it was supposed to be a good thing.
    I seem to recall that all the ghosts and ghoulies are supposed to come out on Midsummer's night and Halloween is when they go back to the underworld so you're celebrating seeing the last of them for another year.

In the 70's we had a halloween party every year and carved the old turnip, so yes it's not just a recent American import.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, i decorate and turn the front garden into a grave yard with fog machine, earie lighting, mannequins dressed up, home made coffins, and sound effects. I love it!
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't do anything for Halloween, I detest it.

We used to make a lantern out of a big swede each when we were children, there were no pumpkins readily available in the 1970's! I once snapped a knife carving a swede. It took all day, kids these days have it so easy!
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't decorate for Halloween. Possibly if I had kids I would do. But apart from a couple of mediocre attempts at carving some pumpkins last year I don't go in for it.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Don't do any of the calendar "days".
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I love Halloween! And this year is my first Halloween in my own house, so yes I shall be decorating for the majority of October actually.
    Got stuff already from Asda, and I just love the Yankee candle range.
    Will be carving a pumpkin obviously, and my wife and I will be having a Halloween party, then horror films for the rest of the evening.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    In the 70's we had a halloween party every year and carved the old turnip, so yes it's not just a recent American import.

There are actually few references in the historical record in Britain that carving turnips or swedes was very prevalent or associated with Samhain at all. But rather it was a general, if uncommon art, found throughout Europe and not associated with any given time of the year. It wasn't as common as previously thought among historical "celt" cultures either. And no wonder, they're a bloody chore to carve.

Unlike Trick or treating which originated with guising (imported by Scots emigrants to the mining towns of the western US) the tradition of carving pumpkins in America is not believed to be related to any traditions in Britain. The practise in the US did not originate with Hallowe'en. In fact it turns out it was originally more associated with Thanksgiving and later became a symbol of Autumn in general. Hallowe'en basically co-opted it in the late 19th/early 20th century and North Americans began carving scary faces into them rather than the traditional cheery ones.