Stargate Atlantis Cancelled

Comments

• Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    they had scope for another season and they could of used the aliens from the alternate

though as someone said above i was more gutted when sg-1 was cancelled, lets hope universe gets picked up soon
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tools, they best make universe quickly and its better be good.

But its clear to see that just like Stargate S-G1 MGM want money so direct to DVD movies is the way to go.
  • arteroartero Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Universe is going to be Star Trek then?
  • DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    artero wrote: »

Not many details have come out but it sounds like it'll be Atlantis but with the base moving about on autopilot.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah nuts:(

Oh well, it had a good innings, along with the whole franchise. Maybe in a few years it can get a reboot, or head to the big screen.
  • joe_flanigan22joe_flanigan22 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artero wrote: »

If its like star trek then i won't be watching :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all surprised. Stargate Atlantis wasn't fit to wipe SG-1's boots. (No disrespect meant to the cast)
    Why do the Major Studios always try and 'franchise' a good idea?
    All they succeed in doing is creating more and more diluted versions of the original.

Was sad when SG-1 left the screen.

Stargate Atlantis? Meh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    Not many details have come out but it sounds like it'll be Atlantis but with the base moving about on autopilot.

No, it really doesn't.

Universe is about an Ancient exploration ship that was sent out to seed the Universe with gate systems, and a follow up ship (the one that will be focussed on) that went out an explored the galaxies that had been 'seeded'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Damn this is annoying news, i think one more season at least, you just know we will probably only get one maybe two dvd episodes, lets face it they're not movies, more like extra long episodes with a bit more quality and time added to scenes, im not saying they're bad but they can't really be considered movies, anyway whats this fascination with direct to dvd stuff lately?

Its just not the same, we're lucky sky one show it as soon as they do because if the only way to see them was dvd i think most wouldn't get to see it, the majority who might enjoy stargate aren't necessarily the same as devoted fans who will buy all the dvds, i know i never have but would perhaps consider it if they were all in bluray one day, like most people i don't buy tv shows on dvd so its really a bit concerning the ideas they're getting about direct to dvd stuff.

Anyway as much as i like atlantis i would be ok with it ending in another season probably but now is one season too soon, also presuming that they go ahead with universe they better take McKay along for the ride!

Though thinking about it universe sounds like they're moving even more away from what stargate was all about, that being the stargate and travelling to new worlds, its been a trend for some time, in much of atlantis and all the way back to the last half of sg-1 even, episodes have not been about travelling to new worlds so much, we mostly get episodes elsewhere, many times we don't even see the gate, now i don't mind some of these but when its the majority you have to wonder whats going on.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magneto wrote: »
    Damn this is annoying news, i think one more season at least, you just know we will probably only get one maybe two dvd episodes, lets face it they're not movies, more like extra long episodes with a bit more quality and time added to scenes, im not saying they're bad but they can't really be considered movies, anyway whats this fascination with direct to dvd stuff lately?

Its just not the same, we're lucky sky one show it as soon as they do because if the only way to see them was dvd i think most wouldn't get to see it, the majority who might enjoy stargate aren't necessarily the same as devoted fans who will buy all the dvds, i know i never have but would perhaps consider it if they were all in bluray one day, like most people i don't buy tv shows on dvd so its really a bit concerning the ideas they're getting about direct to dvd stuff.

Anyway as much as i like atlantis i would be ok with it ending in another season probably but now is one season too soon, also presuming that they go ahead with universe they better take McKay along for the ride!

Though thinking about it universe sounds like they're moving even more away from what stargate was all about, that being the stargate and travelling to new worlds, its been a trend for some time, in much of atlantis and all the way back to the last half of sg-1 even, episodes have not been about travelling to new worlds so much, we mostly get episodes elsewhere, many times we don't even see the gate, now i don't mind some of these but when its the majority you have to wonder whats going on.

Money money money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame I like SG Atlantis, but getting rid of Weir was a mistake & ok I like Carter but she is rather wooden & doesn't do it for me at all as the boss.

I rather felt that with the end of season 3 things were beginning to go a little off the rails.

I mean one week we need to help the Wraith destroy the replicators, then a few weeks later we need to help the replicators destroy the Wraith.

Then we need to stop either destroying Atlantis, Earth or someone else!

Sorry but at this point I thought why not just let them wipe each other out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Money money money

Is there really that much more money in it though?

When you think about it they show them on tv anyway, i just can't see how making direct to dvd stuff is better than full seasons on tv and putting out dvds after, just doesn't make sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first reaction was 'nooooo' but then I thought about it and realised I'm not that disappointed. I'll miss Rodney and I was looking forward to how his relation ship with the Doctor (Sorry - still think of her as Kayleigh) would pan out but the rest of the Characters were just a bit meh!

And the show lost something for me after I worked an event with Jason Mamoa last year and he turned out to be one of the biggest idiots (family friendly descrition there folks) I've ever had the misfortune to meet.
  • flextecflextec Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Why does everything good I get into have to end? Stargate SG-1 ended before I could even get into it, BSG ended (but you can understand why a show such as that has to end, its finite {there's a goal to the show}, and now SGA! Many other people problably feel as I do.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

MGM don't have to split the money with SciFi and then get to make even more by selling them to TV stations as well later.

'Continuum' was the number one best-selling Blu-Ray and number two best-selling DVD in Amrica in the week of its release.
  • flextecflextec Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope Universe gets going into production soon, I mean I hope we don't get a wait as long as DW (from the Classic Series to 2005 series), or I might as well just watch movies all day. (and DW S5- hope it doesn't follow suit)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flextec wrote: »
    Why does everything good I get into have to end? Stargate SG-1 ended before I could even get into it...

10 YEARS not enough for you? :)

People are acting like Atlantis got the chop after half-a-dozen episodes as opposed to one hundred.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flextec wrote: »
    Stargate SG-1 ended before I could even get into it

It was on 10 years. 214 episodes. One of the longest running sci-fi shows ever. There is no reason whatsoever to have not gotten into it.

Atlantis has had a 5 year run. 15 seasons of TV there. Thats amazing frankly. Plus theres another show coming very soon, and the MMO to go with it.

I can't believe some peoples reactions. Go ask the Jericho fans or Reaper fans how they feel.
    All good things come to an end you know...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the news of SGA's cancellation, I expect news about SGU is much closer than people had thought. They've decided to cancel Atlantis for a reason, and I really think that reason is Universe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on 10 years. 214 episodes. One of the longest running sci-fi shows ever. There is no reason whatsoever to have not gotten into it.

Atlantis has had a 5 year run. 15 seasons of TV there. Thats amazing frankly. Plus theres another show coming very soon, and the MMO to go with it.

I can't believe some peoples reactions. Go ask the Jericho fans or Reaper fans how they feel.

Not to mention a theatrical film, 2 SG-1 DVD films, and now an Atlantis TV/DVD film.

And you can bet there will be more SG-1 and Atlantis to come.
  • Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise here. When bad, SGA was truly, TRULY awful.

Made the worst ST:VOY episodes seem like quality television.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes and lots of it.

It would have been expensive to resign the cast for a sixth season. It's probably more profitable in the long run to do movies.
  • joe_flanigan22joe_flanigan22 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, it might not be over, it could move, like for example, stargate atlantis could move to fox or UPN.

Because if you was a buffy fan and if you remember ages ago in 2001 when series 5 of buffy the gift ended, buffy moved to UPN So stargate atlantis could do that.

I wish as i don't want atlantis to end. :(
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

has Reaper been cancelled then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, it might not be over, it could move, like for example, stargate atlantis could move to fox or UPN.

Because if you was a buffy fan and if you remember ages ago in 2001 when series 5 of buffy the gift ended, buffy moved to UPN So stargate atlantis could do that.

But it's MGM who want to make Universe instead so they're not going to be shopping it to anyone else.