Options

Tony Butler

crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,listening to the 'Goalzone' on Free Radio 80's last night,a caller to Tom Ross asked how 'Tone' (Tony Butler) was,and Tom said 'to be honest,he is not doing very well',Tony retired from the station around 6 months ago,due to a heart complaint,so i would like to use this platform to wish him the very best,as he is a Midlands Radio legend,he pioneered the football phone in show on BRMB in the 1970's,and went on to work on TV as well,those of a certain vintage will remember his cries of 'get yer prayer mats out' when Wolves or another Midlands team were struggling,or 'on yer bike' when he disagreed with a caller's comments,well,myself for one will be praying for our Tone's recovery.;)

Comments

• Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope both Free & Wm are taking note & getting some packages ready, if that is the sad case?

Wonder if Ed found his copy of 'The Other Side Of' as ISTR it was mentioned as being mislaid.
    (It was down for a repeat!)
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    I still have his record purchased in about 75 (The name of the Game). I had the sleeve signed by TB, Adrian Juste and Brian Savin.

My excuse, I was young at the time :cool:

Good guy on the sports side and his show was totally different to anything else in it's day.
    I remember he upset a few Longbridge workers.
  • Options
    GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also enjoyed his more general programme on a Tuesday evening. His attempts at :a talent show ( which was swiftly removed) were hilarious!:)
  • Options
    rodbourniterodbournite Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Good luck to him. A true legend remember listening to him on 261m BRMB in swindon in the late 70s.
  • Options
    Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sort of character you just don't get on the radio these days.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Viality wrote: »
    The sort of character you just don't get on the radio these days.

Indeed, I can remember driving back through the Brum area in the 1970s coming back from family holidays in the Lake District or N Wales hearing his Saturday Afternoon show on BRMB.

In fact part of the fun of going on holiday, was to tune in to the different ILR stations on the way and way back, happy days :)
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My lasting memory of Tony was when he worked on sport at ATV. His interview with Brian Clough was memorable as it was a clash of two similar personalities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    I still have his record purchased in about 75 (The name of the Game). I had the sleeve signed by TB, Adrian Juste and Brian Savin.

My excuse, I was young at the time :cool:

Didn't Doolan do his 'Waltzing Matilda' record around the same time?

I remember hearing it once on one of his WM shows.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »

In fact part of the fun of going on holiday, was to tune in to the different ILR stations on the way and way back, happy days :)

I am glad I am not the only one who used to do that!
    Pointless nowadays I guess!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad I am not the only one who used to do that!
    Pointless nowadays I guess!

Well you would not have received many ILR stations in Abergavenny in Tony Butler's time at BRMB. In fact I reckon you would have got none:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Well you would not have received many ILR stations in Abergavenny in Tony Butler's time at BRMB. In fact I reckon you would have got none:(

I lived in Shropshire at the time and was a regular visitor to Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield. So stations I could hear included Beacon, BRMB, City, Piccadilly and Hallam.
    At certain points I could receive BRMB and Piccadilly at the same time on 261 metres :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Shropshire at the time and was a regular visitor to Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield. So stations I could hear included Beacon, BRMB, City, Piccadilly and Hallam.
    To have received those stations you must have lived in Wem, Ellesmere, Whitchurch or Oswestry?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To have received those stations you must have lived in Wem, Ellesmere, Whitchurch or Oswestry?

Yes, near Whitchurch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)

What year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)

What year?

*scratches head* ... from 1973 until the mid 1990's
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    "Get yer prayer mats out you Blues fans = yam goin down!!"

Legend, hope you're better soon Tone
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Chrissy1978ukChrissy1978uk Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Very sad to hear this. Always enjoyed listening to Tony on BBC WM 6/7 years ago. BBC WM had a magazine out in 2004 and Tony did a signing in Border Bullring , I was nearly 7 months pregnant with my youngest son Josh and Tony was worried I might go into early labour.

My dad hated him though :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah the BBC WM Magazine.

Did anyone collect all 4?
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Ah the BBC WM Magazine.

Did anyone collect all 4?

I have just sorted out 4 x issues!! is that all they did then??
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must just say that I hope Tony gets well soon, he was a real gem on the airwaves in the west midlands, I remember his stint on the WM breakfast show were he used to get callers to the show to say "Yo a arf a good bloke tone" in a strong black country accent,