Are people in their 20's more intolerable than teens?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
Forum Member
In terms of being self absorbed, thriving on drama, dysfunctional etc..

I was sat the other day thinking is the GIRLS-LenaDunham esque portrayal of 20 something really accurate?, surely most people get better with age?

But then I pondered....people I've known since school, some are the samish ok people, others have changed into more woe is me ranty, when even though they had these aspects as teens, had a sense of fun about it back then, a lot of people seem to take themselves more seriously even if its not really warranted.
I've recently distanced myself from 2 people in the last year, because there behaviour was so self absorbed it was galling. I can't remember having this issue before

Has anyone else felt this?

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are you OP?
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Yes I think so.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Ghespetti wrote: »

I was sat the other day thinking is the GIRLS-LenaDunham esque portrayal of 20 something really accurate?, surely most people get better with age?

But then I pondered....people I've known since school, some are the samish ok people, others have changed into more woe is me ranty, when even though they had these aspects as teens, had a sense of fun about it back then, a lot of people seem to take themselves more seriously even if its not really warranted.
    I've recently distanced myself from 2 people in the last year, because there behaviour was so self absorbed it was galling. I can't remember having this issue before

Nope. Sorry. Didn't get any of that.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I hate to break this to you but all people from all age groups are self absorbed. It's the human condition. Occasionally you'll find a great friend who isn't like this and my advice would be to hold onto that friend for dear life. They don't come around very often.
  • DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Anyone over 50 is intolerable for me, thinking they're suddenly philosophers because they pick up a book and write some poetry. Assuming the younger generation 'owes' them something, and assume it's their place to tell others how to look/behave.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, not at all. I've found that people tend to become grown ups somewhere between 20 and 25 and that they will basically become who they will become.

Those who are self absorbed or woe is me types at 25 will probably be self absorbed or woe is me types for the rest of their lives unless something happens that changes them.

I kinda think your late teens form you, your early 20's you find yourself and then your mid 20's onwards, you are who you will be.

I actually find teenagers and people who are quite a bit older than me (40's/50's) to be more annoying in some way. But not all, depends on the people... so... I myself am probably drawing a mindset thing into an age thing there.
  • crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think perhaps the fact that you as a person change slightly aswell.
    I have also recently stopped seeing someone I have been friends with for a very long time, i don't think its that their personality has got worse, i think alot of it is the fact that i see it so much more than i did when i was younger and it just got intolerable.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    People in their 20's seem to be very ready to follow the wrong path, want 'respect' for their life choices then need a shoulder to cry on and get all irritable when their duff decision pays them back. They seldom are willing to look around them and take on how other people are living and picking out the best bits. Oh, and the heavy drinking and 'fun' is boring too.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being 27 I am going to say no. We stand up as much as any other generation ever has to be counted on issues we are concerned about. Most of my friends are struggling to buy places/rent places. It's not because they are off partying it's because we can't get a foothold on the property ladder. Possibly never will. The first generation to deal with that in this timeframe.

We are far more aware and less insular than other generations due to social media.

I don't think we are that bad at all. But I wouldn't really being one of those nasty people you speak of.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of us in our twenties are very uncertain of our future
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone of any age can be intolerable to any given person.
    Soundbox wrote: »
    People in their 20's seem to be very ready to follow the wrong path, want 'respect' for their life choices then need a shoulder to cry on and get all irritable when their duff decision pays them back. They seldom are willing to look around them and take on how other people are living and picking out the best bits. Oh, and the heavy drinking and 'fun' is boring too.

Great generalisation there.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think respect was "a measure earned" until I found out the young have redefined it to mean "courtesy".
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think it's incredibly ignorant of anyone to assume there can be a sweeping generalisation of any one age-group of people. There are plenty of whiny 20-something's just as there are plenty of whiny 50-something's too. There are also many of plenty of happy, well adjusted people from those age groups as well.

I'm 22 myself. I have a tendency to moan more than now and again. I rant and I complain. But I truly hope I'm not self-absorbed enough to reach the point that it's all I do. I'm probably considered quite boring by most people my age...I detest clubbing, I seldom drink anything more than a Coke, I spend my time on forums and will travel for hours in pursuit of my photography. You try to make the best of things, but things are tough in life for people in my age-group right now and that's a cold, hard fact.

We're being priced out of the housing market and being threatened with Government prospects of keeping us at home until we're 25. Unemployment levels are higher than the media would like you to think amongst the youth as if the figures weren't worrying enough already. The recent changes to the costs of further education have made the prospect of University a daunting one for many people, as the debt is now three times higher than it would have been a few year's back. High insurance costs price us out of driving, limiting our scope for employment and our general ability to get around. Travel in general has become more expensive, as has the general cost of living - something that impacts us all. All of this makes people very uncertain of their futures... anyone in a situation like that has a right to feel a bit 'woe is me' from time to time.

The silver lining is that if you can get through all of that, then the opportunities available to this generation are the best they've ever been, arguably. But I wouldn't say that any of this is an indication that they moan or act disproportionately to the rest of the population... I've met many teenagers who are thrice as mature as many people in their 50's and 60's. You just can't generalise it like that.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not going to post on this thread :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think perhaps the fact that you as a person change slightly aswell.
    I have also recently stopped seeing someone I have been friends with for a very long time, i don't think its that their personality has got worse, i think alot of it is the fact that i see it so much more than i did when i was younger and it just got intolerable.

thats a very good point crunchy, you can't really fully know how much you have changed.

I'm 24 for the person who asked.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Social media has put 20-somethings in a state of unprecedented arrested development. As has the economy, of course.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    We are far more aware and less insular than other generations due to social media.

Ha hah hah ha!!! You win! :):kitty::)
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Social media has put 20-somethings in a state of unprecedented arrested development. As has the economy, of course.

You maybe on to something there. To think one of my primary schools teachers was only 24, I couldn't imagine anyone I know being a teacher at that age now. Look at the current series of Celebrity Big Brother, housemates like Lee Ryan and Dappy come across much much much younger
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    You maybe on to something there. To think one of my primary schools teachers was only 24, I couldn't imagine anyone I know being a teacher at that age now. Look at the current series of Celebrity Big Brother, housemates like Lee Ryan and Dappy come across much much much younger

With social media, research kinda shows that those in their teens, twenties and thirties are not far off from each other really, they just use it all slightly differently.

I know a teacher who is 24 btw.

I think what you're doing is taking an example of what people perceive an age group to be like and extending it to all when I don't think that's the case at all.

When CBB has been on, I've noticed people in their 20's on my FB basically pointing and laughing at how ridiculous they all are along with those in their 30's. So I get the impression 20 somethings have pretty much the same opinion of them as older people do.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    A guy I know always wants to be a manager at work from the off. He doesn't get it that you have to work your way up. He applies to managerial positions and only sees ££££ signs.

He's 22. He doesn't have much patience which us what most teens/20s seem to have, also it's me, me, me , me a lot and the conversation has to be swung around to feature anything from the person he's speaking with.

I think people in their 20s are only just finding out what life is. Teens think they know it all, but of course they don't. I think many teens are intolerable and they bring it on themselves, maturity begins in the early 20s nowadays.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's incredibly ignorant of anyone to assume there can be a sweeping generalisation of any one age-group of people. There are plenty of whiny 20-something's just as there are plenty of whiny 50-something's too. There are also many of plenty of happy, well adjusted people from those age groups as well.

I'm 22 myself. I have a tendency to moan more than now and again. I rant and I complain. But I truly hope I'm not self-absorbed enough to reach the point that it's all I do. I'm probably considered quite boring by most people my age...I detest clubbing, I seldom drink anything more than a Coke, I spend my time on forums and will travel for hours in pursuit of my photography. You try to make the best of things, but things are tough in life for people in my age-group right now and that's a cold, hard fact.

We're being priced out of the housing market and being threatened with Government prospects of keeping us at home until we're 25. Unemployment levels are higher than the media would like you to think amongst the youth as if the figures weren't worrying enough already. The recent changes to the costs of further education have made the prospect of University a daunting one for many people, as the debt is now three times higher than it would have been a few year's back. High insurance costs price us out of driving, limiting our scope for employment and our general ability to get around. Travel in general has become more expensive, as has the general cost of living - something that impacts us all. All of this makes people very uncertain of their futures... anyone in a situation like that has a right to feel a bit 'woe is me' from time to time.

The silver lining is that if you can get through all of that, then the opportunities available to this generation are the best they've ever been, arguably. But I wouldn't say that any of this is an indication that they moan or act disproportionately to the rest of the population... I've met many teenagers who are thrice as mature as many people in their 50's and 60's. You just can't generalise it like that.

Brilliantly said.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anyone under the age of forty is pretty naff frankly :)
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Cant really generalise but people in their late 20s still carrying on like some teenagers getting smashed big time on alcohol 3 times a week-week in week out at clubs and pubs I personally find very irritating.Especially if they have children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think although the being more self aware and less insular is true sometimes I think it makes us more pretentious,

because theres a platform to voice our opinion in a way that wasn't their before?

im 24 btw
  • Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm saying this on a forum populated by middle aged people, but I find them most irritating, and this forum mostly proves me right.

Their self superiority, smug, pompous, self righteous attitude is 'kin irksome and their conversations are yawn inducing, as they don't have many interesting things to say, but I realize they don't have as much of a life as they used to have, and looking down on younger people is one of the few things they can enjoy in what is obviously a boring life.