Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't make out much of what the Mum said apart from something amid the mumble about 'her two daughters'.
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    so I got lost.. mo's biological mum is the sister of the woman who acted as her mum.. and her dad is the same one or someone different? Is she not the biological sister of Adele at all?
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Well said Serena. The difference between the UK and the US with regards to mental health is so big.

Really? They seem to have even more of a dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest type culture than we do. I assume you'd have to pay through the nose in America for any counselling that is on offer too (I know there are private counsellors in the UK but if you're willing to wait, you can get help via the NHS too).
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr T's such a sweetie, but I think he's too nice for Mo. I really hope she's not going to start using him as solace for all the crap that was dumped on her tonight...
  • Options
    demfedemfe Posts: 15,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Johnnie explained, and we wanted you to know you'll always have a family with us" How crass. Has this been written by a 14 year old with a fascination for Enid Blyton?
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really? They seem to have even more of a dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest type culture than we do. I assume you'd have to pay through the nose in America for any counselling that is on offer too (I know there are private counsellors in the UK but if you're willing to wait, you can get help via the NHS too).

In terms of general attitude.

In the US, how many times do you hear about therapy? It seems to be very common. In the UK in general, people don't talk about it.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    so I got lost.. mo's biological mum is the sister of the woman who acted as her mum.. and her dad is the same one or someone different? Is she not the biological sister of Adele at all?
    I reckon Mo has the same dad as Adele and the other one, perhaps he fiddled around with the wife's sister just like he done now with another woman. Perhaps that's why the 'mum' was taking her anger out at Mo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mo's real mum is the sister of Mo's "mum" and she died of alcoholism, I think. I think the dad is the same as Adele and Celia's dad
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    demfe wrote: »
    "Johnnie explained, and we wanted you to know you'll always have a family with us" How crass. Has this been written by a 14 year old with a fascination for Enid Blyton?

Was it even Johnnie's place to go blabbing to Elliott in the first place? I know Mo smiled which meant she didn't mind Johnnie telling Elliott but Johnnie had no right to do that.

I too couldn't really make out what Mo's 'mum' said.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Close it was written by Rebbecca Wozniewski , sorry but I always have trouble with her surname, rather dopey writer with a poor track record of good scripts.

If only the vile selfs had fallen from the roof, think of all the viewer suffering that could have been ended, I spotted the 'Mo, I'm not your mother' cliche coming as soon as she entered the house.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit of an under-the-stairs episode, which turned out to be very dull frankly, mainly because it focused on the less interesting and likable characters. Is that storyline still going on? Guy hides Zosia away in his office, yawn. She probably won't even go to Poland now, since everyone seems to be lining up to drag her back onto the ward kicking and screaming. Because hey, if they wanted shot of her, that wouldn't be politically correct, right?

And the big revelation that some woman we've never met before isn't Mo's mum, some woman that's dead is, and her father may be some bloke we've never met but is probably someone that wasn't even mentioned. Okay, that might be a shock to Mo but for the rest of it's a "So what?" and a complete non-story with regards how it's going to affect the show from hereon in.
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I reckon Mo has the same dad as Adele and the other one, perhaps he fiddled around with the wife's sister just like he done now with another woman. Perhaps that's why the 'mum' was taking her anger out at Mo.

Got it. Thought the same.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Was it even Johnnie's place to go blabbing to Elliott in the first place? I know Mo smiled which meant she didn't mind Johnnie telling Elliott but Johnnie had no right to do that.

I haven't watched this for ages, some storyline or another annoyed me so I jacked it in.
    I can see why given tonight's offering, I do like/am interested in some of the characters, but the things they're given to do is just too much.

I'll second your point about Johnnie talking to Elliott.
    I also wasn't sure what the Mum was on about either.
    OK we had Auntie Rose flesh things out later.

Tempted to watch next week to see the Mo thing play out a little more, but it's such a slog, not sure I'll bother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't work out by the end whether Zosia is still leaving. Is she still going to stay with whoever it is wherever it is? (grandparents in Poland perhaps?)
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,323
    Forum Member

It was awful wasn't it. She's still got a family anyway. Even if they are no biological relation (and i got the impression she was the result of a pre marital fling her father had so he, Adele and Celia are her biological relations) she has known them all their lives. Will she suddenly stop loving her sisters?

Also, i know i always come back to this compare and contrast but Jac never got such kind words did she.

It actually annoys me that Mo was introduced as a well adjusted person that seemed to come from a large famiy that loved her dearly (even if they disapproved of the surrogacy) but now we discover not only is there a 'big' secret, she has never felt that she belonged or got on with her Mum.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I wouldn't have said so, no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »

That was my reading of it as well. Same dad and everything was great with her 'parents' as newly weds when suddenly they had this illegitimate child to raise, the physical manifestation of his having had sex with another woman. The stress of that placed a strain on their marriage and he continued to cheat, for which the Mum blamed Mo.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are told that Mo's real mother was her not-real mother's sister, so regardless of who her father is, she's actually still related to everyone: That'd make Adele her cousin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skteosk wrote: »
    We are told that Mo's real mother was her not-real mother's sister, so regardless of who her father is, she's actually still related to everyone: That'd make Adele her cousin.

Oh I missed them saying it was a sister. So yes, she is at worse Adele and Celia's cousin and possibly also half sister.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be very upsetting for Mo to find this out but she does still have a family.

I guess she's never seen her birth certificate then. Still, i didn't actually see mine until I got married - my Dad sorted my passport out when i was about 14 which is the other thing you generally need it for.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Mo :(

A child should never be blamed for being born.
    Well said Serena. The difference between the UK and the US with regards to mental health is so big.
    Doesn't happen often but I agree on both counts
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the empathy for Mo
    This thread always makes me feel like I'm part of one big happy family
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loving the empathy for Mo
    This thread always makes me feel like I'm part of one big happy family

I do feel sorry for Mo. As i said, it must be a hell of a shock for her and will undermine the foundations of her whole life. That's a big thing. Also, i feel for her that she has always felt inferior to her sisters with her Mum. It is horrible to feel unwanted.

It is more Jonny and Elliot's reaction that i have a problem with - the idea that she no longer has any family when she does. Also, that it is something of a retcon to what we were told of Mo's family and upbringing in her first few months.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Feel very sorry for Mo although agree that it does seem a huge change from the impression I got about her family and upbringing when she first came into the show. Although, her character does seem to have been changed from what it was when she first arrived so I suspect its something they didn't have in mind when she first came in to the show.

Loved Mr T (obviously!)

I didn't mind the Zosia storyline although felt very little connection to her dad's side of things and really didn't get their rooftop conversation.

It wasn't a bad episode just seemed to be lacking something - like everything was a little muted somehow, and as their stand alone episode for the year just didn't do it for me somehow (although I am comparing it to last year's practically peerless one which is perhaps a tad unfair).
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always got the impression that Mo felt inferior to Adele in some way (aren't we all!) even though she was the successful one, so from that point of view the story made sense.

Mo is remarkably well adjusted for someone who has never had any real affection from their "mother" - apart from the disastrous choice of men, which kind of makes sense now too.

Jonny telling Elliot her personal business was not acceptable imo but she seemed ok with it.

Zosia - please let this be the end of it. I know that mental health issues are really important but this could have been handled so much better. The constant merry-go-round with Self just made it a chore to watch. Either pack her off to Poland or let her come back and get on with it.

And kitkat, yes, I too thought that the wedding venue looked like where Ric and Serena went to the Cambridge party.
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this episode and loved every minute of it - thought the acting was stunning, and the script was excellent (my review is here, if you want to hear me raving on about it a bit more) and I'm really surprised to see the negative opinions on here.

I don't even think Elliot's "You'll always have a family with us" line was out of character for him. In times of crisis he's always fallen back on his work and he'd naturally assume that would be a safe haven for Mo while she works out her new relationships with her family. It's the kind of thing he would say, I think.
This discussion has been closed.