boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a Breitling.

Yes it is, yours for about $18K, I believe some aid workers get them
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Good episode,but i highly doubt Hammond was out there in the freezing cold for 4 days as he would be dead. They tend to take what they expect us to believe a bit far, the whole thing is written like a comedy.

Thank goodness you're here to tell us such things.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Anderson...

What an absolutely delight and a beautiful woman.

With a gorgeous British accent, first time I've seen her interviewed.

She would make a stunning girlfriend / wife.

And those giggles....

She would be great fun to be with.

What a fantastic personality.

I'm in LOVE
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet if ratings start falling drastically. I cannot seeing them needing much of an excuse to get rid of Jeremy Clarkson.
    So what you're saying is, if people stop watching a telly show, the BBC will stop making it? Thank you for that startlingly incisive media analysis.

Mind you, TG is going to have to shed quite a few viewers before it reaches the levels of shows the BBC seem quite happy to spend whopping amounts of money on...

Ob-tonight's show - large pickup trucks still utterly ludicrous, Gillian Anderson still staggeringly attractive, pope still catholic.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    Gillian Anderson...

And those giggles....

I'm in LOVE

P)iss off, she's mine! :D I just sigh out loud when I watch her as herself.
  • Options
    ricardorobertoricardoroberto Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    And yet the tabs still pedal plastic girls who cannot string a sentence together as role models. Great shame.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good one tonight. I loved seeing Gillian Anderson she's a fan of the show and a petrol head and had been wanting to do the show for a long time but not been able to. I like it when they get a celeb on who isn't pushing a film or a book.

The fake rescue was funny, probably dragged out a little, I'm guessing as the current series is 10 episodes they're spreading stuff a bit thinner than usual.

I'd like them to do a special in Canada at some point, one of the places (along with China) that I think would be a great place to do one.
  • Options
    SucmedicSucmedic Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet you still appear to sit through it for an hour? Can I ask why?

I hate the following with a passion

Call the Midwife
    Eastenders
    Holby Casualty thingy
    The Voice
    Coronation Street

I could go on. I don't sit and watch them to then go on an internet forum to moan. I just don't get people who appear to hate Top Gear yet sit through it for an hour.

Why why why do you do it?

I assume we won't be seeing any comments from you after next weeks show as you will be watching Call the Midwife or something else? After all you wouldn't bother sitting through an hour of it again...would you?

Yawn.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sucmedic wrote: »
    Yawn.

The bait shop's ripping you off mate, try somewhere else.
  • Options
    SucmedicSucmedic Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    The bait shop's ripping you off mate, try somewhere else.

:confused::confused:
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Gillian Anderson...

And those giggles....

I'm in LOVE

God, you've only just found that out? Where have you been living? And anyway, she's mine - hands off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Vehicles the Camera Crews used whilst covering the "Rescue Hammond" item.

And.... it is entertainment, so I don't think for a minute Richard suffered all the hardships depicted, he and the camera crew no doubt had somewhere warm and comfortable to retreat to, with Log Fire, Hot food, and Cold Drinks, and a nice soft bed each.

With a full breakfast, and flasks of hot drinks to take with them, and no doubt a portable stove / catering vehicle nearby.

Still, an entertaining episode...
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And.... it is entertainment, so I don't think for a minute Richard suffered all the hardships depicted, he and the camera crew no doubt had somewhere warm and comfortable to retreat to, with Log Fire, Hot food, and Cold Drinks, and a nice soft bed each.

With a full breakfast, and flasks of hot drinks to take with them, and no doubt a portable stove / catering vehicle nearby.
    You of course have proof of all of this...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Why does this bloody programme always start early? Annoying.

And why does it always over-run.

Watching off EPG controlled PVR, I had to watch iPlayer to see the final two minutes..

Every week this is...

(No time space to allow over-run, recoding two other items at 9pm.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

jonbwfc wrote: »

I do work in Television !!
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gillian Anderson...

And those giggles....

I'm in LOVE

I called dibs first.

Gillian, call me!
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I wonder what Vehicles the Camera Crews used whilst covering the "Rescue Hammond" item.

Yes I wondered what the camera crews were using as well, they usually use Range Rovers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »

I don't think anyone really doubts this. Look at the stunts they do, it's always "We turned up and did this!" but look at the HSE report into Hammonds accident and you'll see the huge amount of preparation, paperwork, H+S assessment, visit weeks before by Ben Collins to report back and so on.

Same with Argentina. Watch the first half, then the second half when you see just how many crew there were, with backup vehicles, equipment etc.

At the start of the film you see they had two helicopters, one filming the other. And we never saw the tent where the other three slept, or their food prep. I'd guess they spent one night there, in a big tent we didn't see. That had a proper cooker, heater etc.
    After all, on a purely practical note, those three crew are paid by the hour. You think any production is going to pay them four, 24 hour, days at whatever hourly rate they get? That's not a huge sum compared to the cost of production, but I can't see them wasting that amount.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    I called dibs first.

Gillian, call me!

I watched delayed off PVR !!

But I now have it on PVR !!!

Bonus, I can watch her again !!!

And again...... and again..... and again... :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the start of the film you see they had two helicopters, one filming the other. And we never saw the tent where the other three slept, or their food prep. I'd guess they spent one night there, in a big tent we didn't see. That had a proper cooker, heater etc.

Tomorrow I may look up the location on Google Maps, or similar, to see what Log Cabins, Hotels etc there are nearby.

Unless... someone else beats me to it !
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Yes it is, yours for about $18K, I believe some aid workers get them

I think I would have more faith in a SPOT GEOS device, a lot cheaper and able to put out a couple of types of message so you can update your position periodically as well as call for help. Also the batteries are replaceable, an essential feature on a device like that.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone really doubts this. Look at the stunts they do, it's always "We turned up and did this!" but look at the HSE report into Hammonds accident and you'll see the huge amount of preparation, paperwork, H+S assessment, visit weeks before by Ben Collins to report back and so on.

Same with Argentina. Watch the first half, then the second half when you see just how many crew there were, with backup vehicles, equipment etc.

After all, on a purely practical note, those three crew are paid by the hour. You think any production is going to pay them four, 24 hour, days at whatever hourly rate they get? That's not a huge sum compared to the cost of production, but I can't see them wasting that amount.

They are likely to be freelancers on contract which will be for a working period and not by the hour. They are outside the UK so the WTD probably does not apply.

There are people who will set up camps for logging, fishing, hunting etc. I expect they hired people like that to set up a camp, not impossible they chose a location near an existing one with cabins that could be used.

You do not mess around in areas and conditions like that. Hypothermia can set in very quickly so there needs to be a plan to deal with it. You do not drop someone on a mountain top with just a book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    They are likely to be freelancers on contract which will be for a working period and not by the hour. They are outside the UK so the WTD probably does not apply.

There are people who will set up camps for logging, fishing, hunting etc. I expect they hired people like that to set up a camp, not impossible they chose a location near an existing one with cabins that could be used.

You do not mess around in areas and conditions like that. Hypothermia can set in very quickly so there needs to be a plan to deal with it. You do not drop someone on a mountain top with just a book.

Precisely. Had it been as Hammond implied, all alone, no facilities and no contact other than a consumer SOS watch then had they been attacked by a bear or one of the crew broken a leg they would have been sued and possibly even prosecuted for totally irresponsible actions and a total lack of their duty of care as employers.

But it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the show. Indeed I'm impressed frequently with how much effort, time and skill it must have taken to do some of the things they do. I don't watch an action movie and think "Meh, that's CGI, its not real" I enjoy the movie.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was excellent.

Some good humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrow I may look up the location on Google Maps, or similar, to see what Log Cabins, Hotels etc there are nearby.

Unless... someone else beats me to it !

If the map display that Clarkson looks at when they first get the SOS is correct then Hammond is just south of the peak of Reco Mountain, BC. There are roads, and even houses, within a couple of miles or so of that position, but of course (a) you almost certainly wouldn't be able to spot them and (b) in that snow and terrain it would be a major walk.

A fair sized town called New Denver is about ten miles away. I've driven through the Rockies not far from there. Stunning scenery. But I did it in summer....
This discussion has been closed.