Pete & Dud: The Lost Sketches

sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surprised no one's mentioned this that was on last night.

I think it was a good idea, but not executed well enough. Although I have to admit by the end Adrian Edmondson and Alistair McGowan were the stand out performers out of the team but I can't help thinking that it would have been better being done by duo's of today like Mitchell & Webb, Armstrong & Miller, even Ant & Dec maybe.

It just felt that it was obvious the team had never worked together prior to the rehearsals for this so didn't have that magic that Pete and Dud did. :(

Comments

• ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes:

Is this how bereft of ideas British TV now is?.....dear me.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Too be fair, the idea is a good one. The Beeb, in their infinite wisdom, wiped dozens of episodes of Pete n' Dud, so whilst the scripts remained, the sketches didn't. Re-creating them, to remind people of/ introduce people to their genuis is laudable, but history has shown that the only people who can do justice to classic, now lost, material, are the original performers. Yes, I'm looking at you Ant n' Dec and Paul Merton. :D
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Too be fair, the idea is a good one. The Beeb, in their infinite wisdom, wiped dozens of episodes of Pete n' Dud,

The BBC & come to think of it ITV wiped a load of things as back then videotape was costly so they just re-recorded over them
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

I remember Paul Merton re-doing the Galton & Simpson sketches.

I was going to give this a watch but the footy over ran.

I might give it a watch later on though
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t3fj9/Pete_and_Dud_The_Lost_Sketches/
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member

So do I. All they did was remind us of Hancock's genius.
  • jonno65jonno65 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Thought this was lacking in sparkle - very stilted. So much so that the sketches felt like they were not written by Pete and Dud. And why is it that Jonathan Ross has to front everything to do with vintage comedy these days - spoilt the Dads Army special a couple of years ago as well.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonno65 wrote: »
    And why is it that Jonathan Ross has to front everything to do with vintage comedy these days - spoilt the Dads Army special a couple of years ago as well.

It was made by his production company, so it was probably his idea in the first place.

And it was a good idea, but ended up very badly executed. One of the sketches on the show featured different people from the rehearsal footage (probably because they were crap), and I think it even had a completely new person who didn't feature in the rehearsals and wasn't even introduced. Or perhaps it was so torturous that my brain switched off.

I laughed lightly at the wardrobe sketch, but little else. The young guy in that was rather good looking. Not seen him in anything else, but he deserves to get a better profile from this.

The other young guy, I'm afraid, was terrible. He could act (far better than I could) but he just didn't have the range of voice/expression required.

The older, more recognisable, actors were obviously very good and made it bearable, but if I was alone I might have flicked to another channel.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I was going to give this a watch but the footy over ran.

I might give it a watch later on though
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t3fj9/Pete_and_Dud_The_Lost_Sketches/

I remember those too, found them quite funny :)
    Are they on DVD?
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I remember those too, found them quite funny :)
    Are they on DVD?
    Not sure but come to think of it I can only really remember the ham radio episode.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was worth watching for some of the original clips.
    The updated sketches were hit and miss, I thought the psychiatrist one at the end was about the best effort. It just shows, the chemistry that existed in a such an iconic double act cannot be replicated..and perhaps it shouldn't even have been attempted.
  • mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Jonny Sweet was terrible in the wardrobe sketch no comic timing at all. A good idea poorly executed on the whole.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully there will new generation curious to check out the brilliance of Pete and Dud on the episodes that still exist. God, I remember as a kid loving the thunderbirds parody. The sketch in the art gallery is side-splitting.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a decent attempt, but not great. A tribute act is never going to match up for people who've seen the real thing.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird thing is, I recognised the psychiatrist sketch, so I've seen it before but am too young to have seen it when it was broadcast.
    Was this a repeat or was that sketch not erased?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Flicked over had quick looksee and wandered off elsewhere.

Never understood the 'genius' of Pete and Pete and Dud leave me cold.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see this. I assumed it would be a dire representation. Prince Monalulu, I know everyone's got different tastes, but I don't think I've ever found a Pete and Dud sketch not to be funny. Admittedly, some are better than others, a bit like Python sketches. But overall, they were great.
    I love this sketch... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Z1QGpTZSo
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night and agree with most of the comments. It seemed like it was done in good faith to pay homage and promote the skills of Pete & Dud but it just didn't work.
    stu0rt wrote: »
    It was made by his production company, so it was probably his idea in the first place.

And it was a good idea, but ended up very badly executed. One of the sketches on the show featured different people from the rehearsal footage (probably because they were crap), and I think it even had a completely new person who didn't feature in the rehearsals and wasn't even introduced. Or perhaps it was so torturous that my brain switched off.

I laughed lightly at the wardrobe sketch, but little else. The young guy in that was rather good looking. Not seen him in anything else, but he deserves to get a better profile from this.

The other young guy, I'm afraid, was terrible. He could act (far better than I could) but he just didn't have the range of voice/expression required.

The older, more recognisable, actors were obviously very good and made it bearable, but if I was alone I might have flicked to another channel.
    Absolutely agree. I can only think that those two were involved to cover all the bases. They took part in every sketch during the rehearsals to partner the stars to see what worked best.

They could have at least got an actor who could play the piano.
    If someone saw it now without knowing what it was then I dout they would be impressed.