Options

Which channels stopped at 11am this morning for the silence?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
I know BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 5, Sky News, Ideal World and Price Drop TV did. Presumably Channel 4, I want to compile a list of all the channels that stopped for two minutes this morning as I do every year.

Comments

• Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to compile a list of all the channels that stopped for two minutes this morning as I do every year.

Why? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Sky 1 did, Channel 4 did not and showed Three in A Bed and I don't remember it ever doing so.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never understand these threads. All that matters is that 'you' as an individual show respect for the silence, which doesn't involve flicking around the radio and TV to see what they are doing.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Did CNBC or Bloomberg observe the silence this morning?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did CNBC...observe the silence this morning?
    Surely you should know :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Surely you should know :rolleyes:

No I wasn't in the house at the time so I wouldn't have known. I left the house at around quarter to 10.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on the Programme thread are complaining about the ITV coverage which some found disrespectful - didn't see it so can't comment.There was a slightly odd scene on the BBC1 coverage from Belfast where people were walking about on the steps of City Hall and one man seemed to be trying to make a speech during the silence.
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 5, Sky News, Ideal World and Price Drop TV did. Presumably Channel 4, I want to compile a list of all the channels that stopped for two minutes this morning as I do every year.

How very interesting.

Here's a thought for next year: turn off the telly and take 2 minutes to think about things - doesn't have to be about the sacrifice of soldiers in wars - just...well just anything.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to compile a list of all the channels that stopped for two minutes this morning as I do every year.

What do you actually do with this list?
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did CNBC or Bloomberg observe the silence this morning?

I believe CNBC did - I had a set on with the sound off (had BBC Parliament on the main set) and from the pictures I saw, it looked as if they were observing it.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    What do you actually do with this list?
    The OP started a similar thread last year and never bothered to explain why he wanted to know.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1160653

I would guess the purpose is to chart a year-on-year fall in respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I believe CNBC did - I had a set on with the sound off (had BBC Parliament on the main set) and from the pictures I saw, it looked as if they were observing it.

Thanks for telling me :) I was just curious.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    This thread pops up every year
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the cnbc presenters were certainly wearing poppies a few days ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Some of the cnbc presenters were certainly wearing poppies a few days ago.

They were, I noticed that too. Mostly the ones on the London shows though.
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id quite like a list tbh... for no reason, it would just be interesting to know.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so rude and judgemental? If the OP wants to compile a list, then why not? Why can people not ask a broadcasting-related question in a broadcasting-related forum without being picked to pieces and grilled as to their motives?
  • Options
    CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
    Forum Member

What a lot of people probably don't realise is that the EDL was formed because of a very similar protest a couple of years ago when a group of Muslim Protestors took to the streets of Wootton Bassett whilst a number of British fatalities were being driven through.

The protestors were seen by non-protestors who were so disgusted that they confronted the protestors and in the aftermath the EDL was setup....
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Dare I suggest that you take the time to flick through all the channels just after 11am if you do this every year?

Are you going to contact the channels that didn't stop broadcasting at 11am to complain or something?
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    rosalynn wrote: »
    Why are people so rude and judgemental? If the OP wants to compile a list, then why not? Why can people not ask a broadcasting-related question in a broadcasting-related forum without being picked to pieces and grilled as to their motives?
    That's the thing about internet forums, once you post a question, your motive for doing so is often subject to scrutiny and criticism.

Don't like it? Then don't post the question on a forum. Especially if it's an odd question like the OP's.
  • Options
    griffpaulgriffpaul Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Sports News showed what was on Sky News.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosalynn wrote: »

I'm not going to speak for others but I don't think I was particularly being rude or judgemental for asking why this list is compiled every year. I think genuine bloody curiosity is a good enough reason for asking.

If the list is for something, fair enough. If it is to prove some hypothesis that respect for the Armistice silence is decreasing year on year then fair enough. But it would be interesting to know why the list is being compiled.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I'm not going to speak for others but I don't think I was particularly being rude or judgemental for asking why this list is compiled every year. I think genuine bloody curiosity is a good enough reason for asking.

If they're asking for help with data for something, I agree that it's fair enough to ask what it's being used for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    griffpaul wrote: »
    Sky Sports News showed what was on Sky News.

Just for the two minutes?