Trying to format Acer Aspire

I'm trying to format an Acer Aspire 5920, without the CD as I can't find it.

I've tried running eRecovery (as recommended by loads of websites), but when I boot up the laptop and press CTRL + F10 or ALT + F10 nothing works.

If anyone knows how to get eRecovery to work when I boot, or any other way of formatting this device, please let me know.

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Its definitely ALT+F10. IIRC you may need to mash it a bit to catch it before the Windows logo appears. You should get a Symantec Ghost type screen and it may ask you for a password, cant remember what it is off the top of my head but a quick search online should reveal the default one.

Alternatively, if the Windows installation is still working, boot into that and burn some recovery DVDs using the e-recovery option on the start menu. This is quite important as it will save you a lot of grief if the hard disk ever dies and needs to be replaced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Its definitely ALT+F10. IIRC you may need to mash it a bit to catch it before the Windows logo appears. You should get a Symantec Ghost type screen and it may ask you for a password, cant remember what it is off the top of my head but a quick search online should reveal the default one.

Alternatively, if the Windows installation is still working, boot into that and burn some recovery DVDs using the e-recovery option on the start menu. This is quite important as it will save you a lot of grief if the hard disk ever dies and needs to be replaced.

Hi s2k, when I press ALT+F10, it comes up with 'Edit Boot Options'. It then just says:

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Do you know what I should do or how to get it to work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you still load windows normally and get into functional desktop?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Yes, I can still access Windows 7 desktop as normal.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Go to the All Programs menu and you should find the eRecovery software listed there. You can start the recovery process from within Windows, but, as above, it's advisable to burn a copy of the recovery disks first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Go to the All Programs menu and you should find the eRecovery software listed there. You can start the recovery process from within Windows, but, as above, it's advisable to burn a copy of the recovery disks first.

Exactly what i was thinking :cool:
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Make sure you have the verified recovery discs, before doing ANYTHING else! Not a bad idea to make 2 sets.

2. In e-recovery, the "reset computer to factory default" is same as bootup alt-f10

You'll restore to factory state, & have to setup a windows user account. You'll lose everything on the C: partition. Make sure anything not backed up is on the D: partition!

you'll then need to re-install any updates to windows and your anti malware ........ and all user software, of course.

........ oh, and once recovery has started, don;t interrupt it! Ohterwise, you get the famous "file type mismatch" error, and will need a partition manager to reset the pq recovery partition as "bootable".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you might also wish to image the pq partition with Macrium Reflect, as an additional safeguard, in addition to the recovery DVDs.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Jmes wrote: »
    Hi s2k, when I press ALT+F10, it comes up with 'Edit Boot Options'. It then just says:

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Do you know what I should do or how to get it to work?
    Hmmm that doesnt sound quite right. As you said in your later post that you can still get into the OS, it would probably be best to create a set of recovery DVDs using eRecovery (I think you need 2 DVD-R discs) and boot off them instead like the other chaps are suggesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's probably the bios setup, where u can disable alt-f10.

Powering on, keep f2 pressed for bios, then select alt f10 enabled, save new setting, exit ......

However, the factory default option in erecovery does exactly the same thing!

Both options boot into the hidden pq partition, and start re-loading the operating system files into c patition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever u do, MAKE THE RECOVERY DVDS WITH ERECOVERY FIRST !!!!!!!!!

Again, factory reset from within erecovery will work, even if alt f10 doesn't.

In theory, unless you deliberately tinker with the pq partition, it should always be possible to boot into it, and restore the operating system as per factory. If necessary, by using a partition manager, where windows is f*cked and alt f10 won't work either .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've b*ggered up the recovery process, that's usually "file type mismatch", in which case the only option is to reset the pq partition as bootable using a partition manager. Fairly easy, not a problem.