Top Gear

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy did say it cost the equivalent of £20,000 but they always charge a lot more over here.

That would be for an F150 straight out of the factory tha one they used was heavily modified, so many things in the US tend to be the same price in dollars that we pay in pounds.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    CBA to look it up, but at the beginning of this series the usual trails were in various newspapers, incl The Sunday Times with the breakdown of what's in this series. Willman specifically referred to this film, and was keen to stress that Hammond did spend all the time on the mountain waiting for rescue to arrive. That's not to say there wasn't a lot of support & Plans B, C, D, E, F & G in place - you don't put a valuable asset in that sort of danger without a plan - but I'd go with that personally, that RH was dropped in the mountains and stayed till rescue came. He wasn't however in danger of starving, freezing to death or being eaten by a bear. That's a separate issue.

Edit - agree re all the flurry of support for GA. Dreamboat or what...? :)
    Yes, but in this case were talking about Richard Hammond :p
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    My only issue with the mountain bit was 'What was the point of it?'. As fun as it was, it was essentially a fifteen minute ad for a US domestic pick-up truck for which, as Clarkson pointed out, there's no particular market in the UK, so it wasn't done with the intention of it being a 'serious' (if anything about TG can be considered serious) test drive.
    Funnily enough I watched a repeat on Dave the other day when he test drove the standard F1 and totally slated it.
    The custom job must have made a hell of a difference.
    Forum Member
    I thought Gillian Anderson was great. So much more natural on this than she has been on other chat shows where she's there to plug stuff.

I've noticed it with several other guests as well who just rock up to have a good time.
    It's a shame when they do have to get in the big stars who who know are just there to plug their latest stuff but I guess they have to make allowances for that these days.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anonandon wrote: »
    It's winter bears are hibernating.
    :D

The fact is most carnivores live where their prey is and hardy anything lives half way up a mountain in winter, so there's no reason for any predators to be there either. Most of the pointy-teethed animal life would be down in the valleys where their prey lives because it's warmer. Animals aren't stupid.

He was in danger from exposure certainly and possibly from whacking himself with that axe he was flinging about the place but he was in pretty much no danger of being eaten.

Didn't mean he wasn't legitimately scared though - a wolf howl is still wolf howl, even if it's carried a long way.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Funnily enough I watched a repeat on Dave the other day when he test drove the standard F1 and totally slated it.
    The custom job must have made a hell of a difference.

Wasn't the first test conducted in the UK, and on a previous incarnation of the F-150?

I think the point Clarkson made at the time was that although it was the best selling "car" in the world, it was totally unsuited to the requirements of British drivers. It was big, thirsty, crudely built and, with only 2-wheel drive, no use for off-roading.

Driving the latest top-of the range (and then heavily modified) F-150 in Canada showed the vehicle in an environment to which it was more suited, so it "made sense".
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suprised that when Clarkson was talking about the revived Brooklands May was silent. As you'll remember one of Mays toy stories involved running cars around the original Brooklands which is mainly built over nowadays.

Many years ago business saw me visiting the British Aerospace site at Weybridge/Brooklands. My endearing memory is of visiting the canteen which featured the worst food and environment of any place I ever visited. The dreadful reflected noise from the vast uncarpeted floor and solid walls had to be eperienced to be believed.
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the first test conducted in the UK, and on a previous incarnation of the F-150?

I think the point Clarkson made at the time was that although it was the best selling "car" in the world, it was totally unsuited to the requirements of British drivers. It was big, thirsty, crudely built and, with only 2-wheel drive, no use for off-roading.

Driving the latest top-of the range (and then heavily modified) F-150 in Canada showed the vehicle in an environment to which it was more suited, so it "made sense".
    I'd assume that at least some of the US owners would be farmers or cowboys and live in the mid-west states with lots of off-road terrain.

I can't see how him doing a test on British off-road would be too much different to the US, never mind on a Canadian mountain.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this series so far - in fact the only segment I've found below par was the Peugeot segment last week which dragged.

This weeks was a favourite though, the Canadian scenery was stunning and the trucks brilliant. It was Gillian Anderson who stole the show though - I've wanted to see her on there for absolutely ages... but then I'll happily watch her in anything. Who cares if I'm, like, half her age... :D
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week Top Gear was superb. Loved Gillian Anderson on as well.:D
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'd assume that at least some of the US owners would be farmers or cowboys and live in the mid-west states with lots of off-road terrain.

I can't see how him doing a test on British off-road would be too much different to the US, never mind on a Canadian mountain.

The one he tested in the UK (and hated) was only 2-wheel drive. I don't know if 4-wheel drive was an option at the time, and if so, whether or not it was available over here.

The Raptor is a 4X4.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A work colleague spent some time working abroad (years ago), there were Americans on the island and many of them had big pickup trucks. They could be bought off them quite cheap when they went home but he said they were rubbish, all 2WD and he said you could see the chassis flex if they went over rough ground. He stuck to a Land Rover!
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've decided that Gillian Anderson is going to be my wife's bit on the side, I'm sorry if that disappoints those who've already laid claim, but it's just the way it is.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No comments on tonight's show yet? Good one, I thought - this is the best series for a few years.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the rally cross bit will also be in American Top Gear?
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "James, the car behind you is French" :D
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Another bang-on show, from JC appearing out of the smoke from the Jag's wheels, him pulling out in front of The Stig, SIARPC was good, Hammond's MX5 report was good, all of May's rally cross report was good esp the bit where Pinky & Perky pitched up with the word 'May...'.

It was pretty good, end to end. Another enjoyable Sunday evening lounged in front of the TV with all 4 of us having a right good laugh at it. 11/10 for this series.
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed that! :)

I suppose it was a bit predictable for Clarkson to go for the V8 Jag, and I wouldn't have minded him doing a quick side-by-side comparison with the V6 as they sound like quite different animals.

Not sure what the "let's test an Alfa 4C convertible (when it's available) against the MX5" was all about? The Alfa's up against the likes of the Porsche Cayman/Boxster in terms of price and perfomance, not the MX5. Mind you, it was probably just a throwaway comment! ;-)

Rather brave of James to invite the likes of Petter Solberg, Tanner Foust, Timmy Hansen and Andreas Bakkerud along for a race! :o
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Weakest episode of the series for me althought I enjoyed the rallycross, the racing that is rather than May pootling around on track at the same time - the two leaders should have torn May off a strip in the pits for him getting in their way of course.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Weakest episode of the series for me althought I enjoyed the rallycross, the racing that is rather than May pootling around on track at the same time - the two leaders should have torn May off a strip in the pits for him getting in their way of course.

It wasn't a proper race. It was just a bit of hooning around so they'd fully expect May to get in the way at some point!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Ah well, if it was a one off non champs event then I suppose so. Would be cool to see the USA TG episode with an item showing their guy's view of the event with "some idiot billy getting in our way spoiling our cracking race".
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Ah well, if it was a one off non champs event then I suppose so. Would be cool to see the USA TG episode with an item showing their guy's view of the event with "some idiot billy getting in our way spoiling our cracking race".

I'd imagine the "race" for the others wasn't to see who'd be first across the finishing line, but to see who (if anyone) could lap Captain Slow! :D
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although you know it's scripted/planned, much of this show (in general) still makes me lol e.g. tonight, jc & rh turning up to 'assist' jm at the race ... seeing jc standing there just made me lol ... combo of his facial expressions, belly and legs i think i.e. his general appearance just makes me laugh whenever he's doing anything comical etc.

for me, great show tonight.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that incredibly dull and ended up surfing the news. The only flicker of interest was the James May segment.

This has been a strange series, some all-car episodes and some all-fun.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Was nice to get a chance to see a bit of Tanner Foust at his day-job, rather than monkeying around in the more-obviously-scripted way that's required for USTG.

He always strikes me as a decent sort of fella.
This discussion has been closed.