Options

Dave Eager;Radio One

old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see Dave is being trotted out as a 'friend' of Jimmy Savile but I remember him as a Manchester deejay,Radio One presenter and frontman for Dave Eager and the Beavers.

I remember Mark Jones at Radio City telling me he worked with him in Manchester.

Rodney must remember Dave at Radio One?

Comments

• Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All i know about him is by 1978 / 79 he was the resident jock at some dodgy club in Burnley!!
  • Options
    Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    I see Dave is being trotted out as a 'friend' of Jimmy Savile but I remember him as a Manchester deejay,Radio One presenter and frontman for Dave Eager and the Beavers.

I remember Mark Jones at Radio City telling me he worked with him in Manchester.

Rodney must remember Dave at Radio One?

I do, yes. I think he did a stint on the breakfast show sitting in for Tony Blackburn but that was before I joined the network I think.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It vwas spring 1971, and in fact he got an extra couple of weeks as Tony Blackburn was taken ill shortly before the start of a scheduled six week break from the breakfast show (three weeks holiday and three weeks covering the mid-morning show while Jimmy Young was away) so they got Dave in early.

Afterwards, he made the odd appearance hosting Radio 1 Club, but never did any regular work for the station again.
  • Options
    Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    It vwas spring 1971, and in fact he got an extra couple of weeks as Tony Blackburn was taken ill shortly before the start of a scheduled six week break from the breakfast show (three weeks holiday and three weeks covering the mid-morning show while Jimmy Young was away) so they got Dave in early.

Afterwards, he made the odd appearance hosting Radio 1 Club, but never did any regular work for the station again.

Yes just found my notes from 71. H was pencilled in for a Saturday 'new DJ spot' but then the programme went to Dave Gregory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes just found my notes from 71. H was pencilled in for a Saturday 'new DJ spot' but then the programme went to Dave Gregory.

I admire you for having notes from that long ago Rodney.

Who was Dave Gregory?

It must have been a BBC thing of trying to include the north.
    I worked with Chris Jones who did a short disco series from Manchester on Radio 1 around 1978 but the programme sunk without trace. The last I heard he was a presenter at BBC Linc's many moons ago.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Gregory also did the breakfast show during one of Tony's holidays, having already appeared in the Saturday afternoon new DJ slot.

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/dave_gregory_page.htm

It doesn't say there but he has been on Solar Radio more recently, but doesn't appear in the schedules at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a website and now does v/o's
    http://www.davegregory.com/
  • Options
    6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    From Dave G's own website:
    After about three years of freelancing for the Beeb, Dave decided it was time to try for the newly opened breed of Independent stations that had sprung up firstly in London, and soon followed in most major UK cities, including Newcastle -upon - Tyne, where he would end up presenting some of the very first programmes on Metro Radio. This turned out to be the beginning of a seven-year stint in The North of England. First in Tyneside, then Teeside for five years (where he also got some substantial voice-over exposure for the first time since his early days at the BBC) and lastly West Yorkshire. Eventually in 1981 for career reasons, he made the trek back South to join Essex Radio in time for its launch on September 12th.