The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe the sometimes nasty comments mentioned on here today towards mrs browns boys, the fact that it is scripted and beating reality television should be applauded. Mrs browns boys is very funny, and deserves the ratings it gets!!!

That in itself isn't worthy of applause. I'd far rather a decent reality show than a pi*s poor comedy. Not that Mrs Brown's Boys is pi*s poor, I'm just saying...
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Here I certainly agree. We have Animal Antics, Secret Service and Britains Brightest creating yawns in midwinter when a 25 million pound investment will play out its finale near midsummer day. Surely the schedulers have got their graphs upside down.
    The Beeb should made it work from January. Anyone would think they want rid of it!

........ahh-maybe they do

EDIT I wanted to use one of the smileys at the end but I have just learnt you can only have ten-and iaindb has used all ten (-:

You may think that, but we couldn't possibly comment...

It's obviously make or break for The Voice this year, and really the BBC needed to get it started this month to get a headstart on BGT and avoid the disruption of those warmer spring/early Summer months. If they're going to be pumping so much money into it, they need to position the show so that it gets the ratings to justify the expense.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Here I certainly agree. We have Animal Antics, Secret Service and Britains Brightest creating yawns in midwinter when a 25 million pound investment will play out its finale near midsummer day. Surely the schedulers have got their graphs upside down.
    The Beeb should made it work from January. Anyone would think they want rid of it!

........ahh-maybe they do

EDIT I wanted to use one of the smileys at the end but I have just learnt you can only have ten-and iaindb has used all ten (-:

I didn't realise smilies in a quote counted towards your quota. You learn something new every day.

Can't you edit your post and edit out some of my smilies?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    You may think that, but we couldn't possibly comment...

It's obviously make or break for The Voice this year, and really the BBC needed to get it started this month to get a headstart on BGT and avoid the disruption of those warmer spring/early Summer months. If they're going to be pumping so much money into it, they need to position the show so that it gets the ratings to justify the expense.

Quite.

And ITV could very well pick it up if the Beeb choose to, or are forced to ditch it. ITV could then reschedule XF and BGT to suit Simon Cowell. Could have far reaching consequences-especially as the BBC seemingly have no idea how to create Light Entertainment of their own (SCD aside obviously).
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    That in itself isn't worthy of applause. I'd far rather a decent reality show than a pi*s poor comedy. Not that Mrs Brown's Boys is pi*s poor, I'm just saying...

Apart from IAC, most reality shows( and I don't count talent and dancing shows as reality) get less than 3 million viewers now and are more like cult things for teenagers and women under 30. Certainly The Kardashians is never going to be a ratings hit like Mrs Browns Boys( the fact is it's excruciating tat worthy of MTV helps).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I didn't realise smilies in a quote counted towards your quota. You learn something new every day.

Can't you edit your post and edit out some of my smilies?

Lol no worries-I suppose the limit is there as some people might post millions of smilies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we heading for a repeat of last year where BBC1 are going to try and get a one or two week jump on BGT, thus leaving ITV to consider starting a week earlier than planned to match it?

Last years BGT scheduling was good for the auditions - avoiding all the disruption caused by Eurovision and Champions League. The downside was that the semi-final week was a regular school week. Although tbh, I'd get rid of semi-final week altogether. It is by far the weakest part of the format now.

With a far shorter run than most reality shows and no need to plan around American Idol anymore, there's no reason why they should be going into June.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we heading for a repeat of last year where BBC1 are going to try and get a one or two week jump on BGT, thus leaving ITV to consider starting a week earlier than planned to match it?

Last years BGT scheduling was good for the auditions - avoiding all the disruption caused by Eurovision and Champions League. The downside was that the semi-final week was a regular school week. Although tbh, I'd get rid of semi-final week altogether. It is by far the weakest part of the format now.

With a far shorter run than most reality shows and no need to plan around American Idol anymore, there's no reason why they should be going into June.

It's not a reality show, though, it's a talent contest like a modern day New Faces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking at the US ratings from Thursday, Idol and Big Bang took even more out of each other than I expected - Idol down 13% week on week (and below 14m), Big Bang down 16% from its last original.

Person of Interest posted its best ever margin of victory over Grey's Anatomy (3.2 vs 2.8). POI also had 2m more viewers than American Idol, not that it really matters. And perhaps it has fallen so far so fast that people don't notice anymore but Glee's 2.1 rating out of American Idol is really, really poor. I'd say worthy of cancellation. But that probably won't happen.

At 10pm, a new record was set. Do No Harm, NBC's new drama, was the lowest rated in-season scripted premiere EVER. Not just on NBC, but on any of the big 4 networks.

Elementary's 2.2 is pretty weak for a Superbowl show. Scandal's 2.7 on the other hand is excellent. I dearly hope ABC keep it away from Sundays. Not because it's a bad night but just because ABC don't know how to schedule the night around all the events in January. Every year Desperate Housewives would crash at this time and they're doing the same thing with Revenge now, which had been performing reasonably well for them until Christmas.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    The light entertainment heads should not have waited for any judge to become free for for the programme schedule. In light of what happened to the voice last year against competitive itv scheduling they should have used the year to keep or replace the judges and begin auditions earlier so transmission could have began in the first quarter. But perhaps after the amount of investment they do want rid of the voice but its not beem given a fighting chance if its final is in june when most schedulers start broadcasting such rubbish as animal antics and secret service. They really dont have any instinct when it comes to scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The light entertainment heads should not have waited for any judge to become free for for the programme schedule. In light of what happened to the voice last year against competitive itv scheduling they should have used the year to keep or replace the judges and begin auditions earlier so transmission could have began in the first quarter. But perhaps after the amount of investment they do want rid of the voice but its not beem given a fighting chance if its final is in june when most schedulers start broadcasting such rubbish as animal antics and secret service. They really dont have any instinct when it comes to scheduling.

Iv said and think the same. I mean something unusual might happen to make the show newsworthy in the right way and getting decent ratings all the way through. However the likely thing is it will struggle with all the stuff going on during its run, when you would have thought the Beeb would have been falling over themselves to accommodate something so expensive to its best advantage. The first quarter has been largely dead for several years and TV should have run in January last year let alone this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what lows BBC One's less than thrilling schedule tonight will get? Never have I seen such a formulaic, cheap and useless set of programmes as those shown tonight. Bill Cotton must really be turning in his grave.
    However, Splash has been a surprise hit and 5 million is excellent for a show the critics and Tina Malone have massacred.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not getting the fuss about the New Tricks repeats. They've repeated eight of the ten episodes in the 2011 series (albeit in the wrong order), and now they're repeating the final two.

It's turning into a Ratings Thread obsession along the lines of the Xmas night stopwatches.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about it was higher then last Fridays episode. And in case you haven't noticed the character hasn't even left yet jeez

Mate cut the attitude, it was a crap episode, it deserved the ratings it attained. I gave my opinion and if you don't agree then fine no need to get defensive about a bog standard tv show.:rolleyes:
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    What does the 6 nations normally rate in BBC 1?
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Wonder what lows BBC One's less than thrilling schedule tonight will get? Never have I seen such a formulaic, cheap and useless set of programmes as those shown tonight. Bill Cotton must really be turning in his grave.
    However, Splash has been a surprise hit and 5 million is excellent for a show the critics and Tina Malone have massacred.

It overnighted at a mediocre 4.8m last week against freakishly low ratings on BBC1. It is also one of the most derided programmes in years.

Please can we all disabuse ourselves of the notion it is a "hit".
  • Andrea_ParmaAndrea_Parma Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Elementary's 2.2 is pretty weak for a Superbowl show. Scandal's 2.7 on the other hand is excellent. I dearly hope ABC keep it away from Sundays. Not because it's a bad night but just because ABC don't know how to schedule the night around all the events in January. Every year Desperate Housewives would crash at this time and they're doing the same thing with Revenge now, which had been performing reasonably well for them until Christmas.

The last time CBS aired the Superbowl, they used Undercover Boss as lead out. I thought it was a bit of wasted choice.
    At first, I thought the same when they announced Elementary as their 2013 choice. However, looking at their midseason series, they have scheduled them on Friday or in June. So they are not hoping for great numbers from them. The majority of their other shows are veteran. The only newish show worth of post SB slot was probably Persons of Interest. But it's already doing well (even if the SB night could have given it the chance to be sampled by more 18-49 viewers).

Scandal is one of the revelations of the season IMO. I agree with the ABC problems in scheduling serialized Sunday dramas during January.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another completely original drama commission from ITV http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/01/itv-drama-breathless-gynaecologists?CMP=twt_fd

I wonder if we'll be getting articles about BBC spoiler tactics, copying ITV's idea and airing it two years before (I'm guessing it's for 2014) in an attempt to get ahead of them ;)

Surely the articles should be about ITV's total lack of imagination, commissioning a series which is clearly a total rip-off of Call The Midwife (as cylon6 so amusingly alluded to)?

The BBC were ahead of ITV. All this does, by the sound of it, is add a 'thriller element' - and if the 'thriller element' to The Bletchley Circle is anything to go by, it'll be as thrilling as watching paint dry.

How sad that the network that used to lead the way in popular drama is having to reduce itself to shamlessly copying the BBC. It badly needs some new commissioning talent - what it should be doing is something completely different from CTM, not aping it.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looking at the US ratings from Thursday, Idol and Big Bang took even more out of each other than I expected - Idol down 13% week on week (and below 14m), Big Bang down 16% from its last original.

Person of Interest posted its best ever margin of victory over Grey's Anatomy (3.2 vs 2.8). POI also had 2m more viewers than American Idol, not that it really matters. And perhaps it has fallen so far so fast that people don't notice anymore but Glee's 2.1 rating out of American Idol is really, really poor. I'd say worthy of cancellation. But that probably won't happen.

At 10pm, a new record was set. Do No Harm, NBC's new drama, was the lowest rated in-season scripted premiere EVER. Not just on NBC, but on any of the big 4 networks.

Despte TBBT dropping, it still managed to get 17.5m and beat AI by 4.5m :eek:
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant help but think Elementary wont make a second series, ok the Superbowl episode is an excuse for a relaunch of a show, (see Alias) but this is Sherlock Holmes, how much more can CBS change it, unless of course Joan Waston is replaced by a long lost brother called John.

Also knowing how much CBS loves its crime dramas, and spin-offs, CBS would struggle to do a Elementary spin-off, like its done CSI and JAG.

then again it already has Elementary: California, in The Mentalist ;)

lol at Call The Midwife 2.0
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    The soap ratings are quite interesting to me. EE only 500,000 ahead of Emmerdale, which to me is the standout rating when you consider it's status behind the 'big two' and how relatively average they did, particular considering Corrie's awesome offerings. The whole Lewis/Gail storyline has created a lot of buzz and continued to last night, I would have expected both episodes to comfortably top 9 million for it's climax.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member

The Voice may get a one or two week jump but BGT may still beat it.

I would hope that in order to ensure the semi-finals rate as good as possible, they either schedule during half-term week or go back to the format of the first three series - everything packed into a 90 minute show. The extra 30 minutes is just filler for the first part, recapping performances and a musical performances and then the results. If they were going to stick with these, they need to make more use - first of all, non-musical guests as it's not X Factor.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    What did The Dumping Ground on CBBC yesterday get?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It overnighted at a mediocre 4.8m last week against freakishly low ratings on BBC1. It is also one of the most derided programmes in years.

Please can we all disabuse ourselves of the notion it is a "hit".

Well compared with Red or Black, Superstar, Let's Get Gold, and other ITV LE turkeys, this is a big success. However, I think next season it will do a Popstar to Operastar, which attracted 5 million on its first run, and fall below 3 million, as the BBC surely won't want to be beaten by a zeleb show.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Well compared with Red or Black, Superstar, Let's Get Gold, and other ITV LE turkeys, this is a big success. However, I think next season it will do a Popstar to Operastar, which attracted 5 million on its first run, and fall below 3 million, as the BBC surely won't want to be beaten by a zeleb show.

Except we don't always get what we want. The BBC have to create something good to take it on first.

We wait to see if Britain's Brightest can get any boost from the absence of Secret Service in the schedule.

You would expect Splash to get a small boost being the final. I notice that the listings publications are saying four stars in the final when there's actual only three. So even more padding than they were originally planning.
This discussion has been closed.