Options

Twice now will.i.am has said "It's not just about the voice"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
Forum Member
✭✭
Erm, what's the name of this again? Proof this is no different to the X Factor.

To top it all the eliminated guy said the 'nan' word. What a joke.

This is just the X Factor on the BBC. As I said all along.

Comments

• Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol it's not just 'the same as x factor', I think if you watch the show you'll see there are some quite noticeable differences :p And if they only sent through the best singers the show would get criticised for not producing any stars, seems like they can't win :confused:
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    To Will.I.Am the show is called The Voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some differences, but you can also say that about Idol. Fundamentally, they are the same - and by will.i.am saying those five words has now essentially said the same.

The Voice. The BBC answer to The X Factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The format of The Voice is completely different to X Factor though, whilst Idol/X Factor are pretty much the same apart from the groups and mentoring factor. There's not even an Idol show in the UK anymore so that's a bit of an irrelevant point anyway. Whilst Will saying that may take away some credibility from the show and contradict the premises of it, it doesn't prove that it's the 'BBC's answer to The X Factor' at all.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voice is completely different to TXF

I can't stand to watch a second of TXF but I enjoy the voice

Ergo they are completely different :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    The format of The Voice is completely different to X Factor though, whilst Idol/X Factor are pretty much the same apart from the groups and mentoring factor. There's not even an Idol show in the UK anymore so that's a bit of an irrelevant point anyway. Whilst Will saying that may take away some credibility from the show and contradict the premises of it, it doesn't prove that it's the 'BBC's answer to The X Factor' at all.

It's all about singing, auditioning, voting and eliminations at the end of the day. The only difference is the format. The winner gets an album deal in both shows. So yes, it's the BBC version. Same as Fame Academy was the BBC answer to Pop Idol. It's just a happy clappy version - no freaks or hate figures and no evil comments from the judges.

will.i.am has said the very opposite words The Voice is supposed to be all about. Twice. So it wasn't even a slip of the tongue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    The voice is completely different to TXF

I can't stand to watch a second of TXF but I enjoy the voice

Ergo they are completely different :)

That's a bit like a Corrie fan saying they hate EastEnders - they are still similar programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    It's all about singing, auditioning, voting and eliminations at the end of the day. The only difference is the format. The winner gets an album deal in both shows. So yes, it's the BBC version. Same as Fame Academy was the BBC answer to Pop Idol. It's just a happy clappy version - no freaks or hate figures and no evil comments from the judges.

will.i.am has said the very opposite words The Voice is supposed to be all about. Twice. So it wasn't even a slip of the tongue.

I disagree, and that's not what you were saying in your OP anyway. You were making it seem like because Will said 'it's not all about the voice' means that it's a BBC copy of XF, which isn't true at all. The fact that it's supposed to be all about the voice isn't the only thing that differentiates the two shows.
    That's a bit like a Corrie fan saying they hate EastEnders - they are still similar programmes.

That's even more wrong than saying The Voice and XF are the same. Corrie and EE are both soaps - the similarities end there, it's perfectly plausible for a Corrie fan to say they hate EE, in fact many do. That analogy just proves further that your initial point was wrong.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The Voice is different to the XFactor because during the initial stage of the competition, contestants are put through solely based on their voice. This differentiates this show to XFactor which puts more importance on stage presence and dancing.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course it's all about the voice in the blind auditions and before they get to the blind auditions. After that, if they have several people who are equally good they obviously can't all go through so they have to judge them on other things as well as their voice.

You keep on saying it's the same as X-Factor. It isn't. All sorts of people get to the auditions and those who get through are not necessarily chosen for their voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reason he said that is because of what happened with Leanne anyway, one of the main criticisms of the show last year was that it had a winner that flopped, so they probably want to avoid that this year.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the same as X Factor, during the blind auditions they get judged solely on their voice, then its about who the coaches believe they can coach.
    I doubt will ever see the likes of Rylan or Jedward on the Voice, they have people that can sing and not 'joke acts'.
    I love the Voice, and the coaches are great.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time they get to Blind Auditions they've already passed through singing for the producers, which isn't blind at all. Do people think Jay Aston got picked out of the tens of thousands who auditioned originally on the basis of her voice? When she bellowed that Muse song like she had a prolapsed lung? Please, she was there because she had a story, or a specific look, just like 95% of the auditionees.

The only part of The Voice that is "all about The Voice" is the blind auditions, which is a fairly slim round of cuts proportionately. Every other cut is about exactly the same thing as every other reality show. Making good tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Its not the same as X Factor, during the blind auditions they get judged solely on their voice, then its about who the coaches believe they can coach.
    I doubt will ever see the likes of Rylan or Jedward on the Voice, they have people that can sing and not 'joke acts'.

I love the Voice, and the coaches are great.

I have acknowledged that. This strengthens The Voice's line up making it, pound for pound a better show - talent wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's even more wrong than saying The Voice and XF are the same. Corrie and EE are both soaps - the similarities end there, it's perfectly plausible for a Corrie fan to say they hate EE, in fact many do. That analogy just proves further that your initial point was wrong.

Corrie and EE is a good analogy. The BBC wanted a gutsier Corrie - the sort of soap Corrie was in the 60s crossed with what was happening in Brookside. EastEnder in it's earliest cast also had versions of Corrie characters - you could even pick out who were their Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwells, Bet Lynches, etc. It was just a London version with added racial minorities, certainly in it's earliest days.
  • Options
    troy4783troy4783 Posts: 3,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get what he means though cause realistically it is not all about the voice these days . Leanne from last year technically had the best voice out of the Final 4 but to me she just didn't seem like a star and I just found her dull it's about finding that mix of someone who's got a great voice but is also a star.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie and EE is a good analogy. The BBC wanted a gutsier Corrie - the sort of soap Corrie was in the 60s crossed with what was happening in Brookside. EastEnder in it's earliest cast also had versions of Corrie characters - you could even pick out who were their Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwells, Bet Lynches, etc. It was just a London version with added racial minorities, certainly in it's earliest days.

Maybe when it started but certainly not anymore. And you seemed to be suggesting that you couldn't be a Corrie fan and say you hate EE, which definitely isn't true. And the same can be said for The Voice and XF, you can easily hate one and love the other. Ok, they have similarities in the sense that they both involve singing and a public vote, but apart from that I'd say they're pretty different. Yes, The Voice may not be as credible as it tries to make out, but it's certainly a long way away from the manipulation and fakeness of XF.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack I would stop digging if I were you.

What TV fans fail to understand is that you can't be successful just by having a great voice as proved by last years flopped winner. The show proved tonight it has elements of X Factor to it with the X Factor style walkout shown tonight. I dare anyone to tell me otherwise that wasn't put in deliberately. ;)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the judges used to promote this show by saying "It's just about the Voice"
    I'm sure that they did.
  • Options
    muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    After the audition rounds it's no longer just the voice I'm afraid.

Which is why Alys was chose over Lareena and Ragsy was chosen over Colin.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just about the voice at the blinds. Then on in, your performance, persona and perhaps most importantly potential matter too.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the judges used to promote this show by saying "It's just about the Voice"
    I'm sure that they did.

They did last year -- all the time --- but noticeably it hasn't been said once this year and the show is all the better for it
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack I would stop digging if I were you.

What TV fans fail to understand is that you can't be successful just by having a great voice as proved by last years flopped winner. The show proved tonight it has elements of X Factor to it with the X Factor style walkout shown tonight. I dare anyone to tell me otherwise that wasn't put in deliberately. ;)

I think it was left in intentionally, I think the four coaches have mutual respect unlike other shows but does anyone really think these guys never disagree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe when it started but certainly not anymore. And you seemed to be suggesting that you couldn't be a Corrie fan and say you hate EE, which definitely isn't true. And the same can be said for The Voice and XF, you can easily hate one and love the other. Ok, they have similarities in the sense that they both involve singing and a public vote, but apart from that I'd say they're pretty different. Yes, The Voice may not be as credible as it tries to make out, but it's certainly a long way away from the manipulation and fakeness of XF.

I'm not suggesting you can't be a Voice fan and an X Factor fan (or Corrie/EastEnders for that matter). I watch both after all. I liked most of singing/voting shows - I watched the Andrew Lloyd Webber shows too. Essentially they're all the same. That's my point. Contestant, back story (sometimes sob story), family supporting backstage, audition, voting, several rounds, eliminations, disappointment, final, winner.

You can argue til you're blue in the face that The Voice and The X Factor are different - and, yes, they have slightly different formats - but so does American Idol, so did Fame Academy and all the other shows. Often the gimmicks - spinning chairs, blind auditions are just set camouflage.

I've nothing more to add, so I'll leave it there. As far as I'm concerned will.i.am told me, in those few words, what I've known from the start. So I have no further need to discuss it as I know I'm right.

I'll just add this: were it not for the X Factor, you probably wouldn't be watching The Voice on the BBC. So it is ironic that those who hate the X Factor actually have that show to thank for The Voice. Think about it. :)
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Will has only stated what all the coaches and voting public are acting out. Like any reality TV / talent contest looks, personality and back story are as important as talent. From the word go it's not been about The Voice. Danny particularly has always been obsessed about what the contestants look like during the blinds and Jessie and Will have also continually speculated about this. I think Tom is the only one who truly has treated it as about The Voice.

Will is just speaking the truth and the show unfortunately has always been based on a lie.