Feeling bad as I doubted my son

gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
Forum Member
So my boy has just stated seniors. In his first week he has made a whole batch of new friends and seems to be happy and is enjoying himself.

On Saturday he received a text from a very good friend who he went to juniors with, who he plays sports outside of school with and who he walks to senior school with saying that he had told his Mum that my son had been pushing him around and had been bullying him. He said that my sons new friends were a bunch of bullys who had been picking on the other kids all week and that my son was playing along with it. To say I was shocked was an understatement as 24 hours earlier they had walked home from school together and seemed to be fine. We questioned our son who denied all knowledge and as they share no lessons, are not in the same form or house we wondered where this bullying was happening. But I doubted my son as I thought there's no smoke without fire.

We took my son round to the boys house to see if we could get them to talk and sort this out and my son denied the bullying and the other boy insisted that my son was lying. In the end they agreed to be friends and shook hands and we left.

It has really shaken me up though as it is completely out of character for my boy to behave this way. He is a gentle giant and I have never known him to pick on anyone - he is usually the one that gets picked on.

The following morning we took our son to training and although the two boys were cool with one another it all seemed fine until my son tackled the boy and the other boy launched himself at my son. He punched him in the jaw twice and was pulled away from my son before he managed to plant his studs in my boys chest, but he still went in for another kick before he was dragged away again. My son didn't retaliate though - just rolled away and put his hands up to protect himself. Which is completely in his character as he isn't a fighter.

We let the coach sort it out and the Grandad took the other boy home after we had made it clear that his behaviour was unacceptable.

A couple of hours later we got a phone call - expecting more confrontation I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone calm down, so I didn't call back until the evening. But I am then confronted with the Mum and the boy apologising because the boy had admitted to his Granddad that he had lied about all of the accusations and made it all up. For what reason I am not sure - we can only assume, but I feel terrible about it all. Even though it has proven that my son was telling the truth and had not been bullying the other boy. The mother was very apologetic, assured us that he was being punished and admonished the boy for behaving that way to a loyal friend and said she would understand if my son never wanted to speak to her son again.

I feel so naive to have believed the other boy, why did I doubt my son? We gave my son a really hard time, even though we couldn't really believe it. I just feel terrible. My son is going to spend a couple of weeks away from this other boy, walk to school with other friends and then see how he feels in a few weeks time about the situation. I am still nervous though that there may be repercussions at his new school, even though the mother has promised that there won't be. But how can I trust him now. Why do that to a friend though - it's horrible. Why try to discredit his new friends as well? I should feel better as my son is in the clear but I don't.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    tl;dr, sorry, but as a general rule parents SHOULD question [internally at least] their children`s tales and keep an open mind.

you can tell when teenagers are lying, their moths are open.

judith sheindlin.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the one thing you haven't said is that you have apologised to your son.

You should, you were in the wrong.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Annette. You were fair and even minded to doubt your son in a situation where its one word against another. All humans will tell lies to protect themselves, and so often I see mothers blindly refusing to face facts and protesting their children are innocent angels.

Tell him you are sorry for doubting him, but that is the nature of things in life and its a good lesson for him.

Other kid has clearly gone off the rails a bit though, maybe he is upset that your son has found new friends when he was a close friend before. Again, this happens when you go up to "big school"
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to reverse the meeting and invite both boy and mother around to your home so the boy and explain himself directly to your son. Both you and your son handled the situation admirably so why should this boy get away without having to face the person he has wronged?

This boy needs to understand the consequences of his actions and part of that is how it has left you feeling.
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    The first thing we did was apologise to our son. I feel terrible about doubting him.

As a general rule we always give him time to go and think about what he is saying to make sure he is certain what he his telling us is the truth. We always say to him that the consequences will be far worse for him if he is subsequently found to be lying when he has been given the opportunity to tell us the truth.

I know it's a lesson - for me also - in not to be so trusting. But I really do feel bad and sad about about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    You did doubt your son but it was the right thing to do. I think one of the worst things a parent can do is completely refuse to accept that their little petal can do wrong. Now that this has happened, next time you will be more able to trust that he has done nothing wrong. Kids also can change when they get to high school and are influenced by others so seriously you did do the right thing.

I think it is obvious what is wrong with this other boy. He is jealous. He sees his friend getting independent, making new friends and he fears he is being left behind. In his 11 year old mind this was a way to keep his friend.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Reverse it now and ask the other boy and his Mum to come around to yours and explain himself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone makes mistakes so don't be hard on yourself - you did the best you could. The thing is to learn from our mistakes.

If your son has never lied to you, you should trust him until proved otherwise. He is your son, he is your own flesh and blood, he deserves unquestioning love and loyalty by default.

The other boy is probably jealous and envious of the new friends. Also, maybe he was feeling neglected and he thought being bullied would be something which would make his mother and grandfather care about him and give him attention? It often seems that unhappiness about bullying is the only sort of unhappiness that parents take seriously in children. To be quite honest when I was a child I used to try to get other children to bully me because I was in that situation.
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP don't beat yourself up about this, it sounds like you have handled it well. There will probably be more stuff like this coming your way, the teenage years can be up and down! You are obviously realistic whilst still being proud of your son, believe in yourself and the fact that you have brought him up properly, he sounds like a lovely lad.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't make anything more of it and let it die! The kids are, what, 11/12? They will soon make up but parents that get in on the argument tend not to.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all the adults in this scenario have acted properly and as, well, grown ups.

But I do think the other mother needs to get to get to the root of her own sons lying and violence, he may well be getting bullied after all, and too scared to speak out who it is and therefore blaming your son as an easy target.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it says a lot for the other boy to admit it, and for the mum to accept it and apologise directly to you. You did what the circumstances dictated at the time. You have explained to your son and apologised. We all make mistakes. It takes courage to admit to them. If they had not then you would have been left with a seed of doubt. Be glad for that.:)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the boy is jealous? He sees your son making new friends and is feeling a bit left out. It is completely natural when you go into a new school, even more so when you suddenly have no lessons together. He may not be making as many friends as your son or simply missing his company and this was his way of getting his attention back.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I wonder if the boy is jealous? He sees your son making new friends and is feeling a bit left out. It is completely natural when you go into a new school, even more so when you suddenly have no lessons together. He may not be making as many friends as your son or simply missing his company and this was his way of getting his attention back.

This 100%
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't beat yourselves up about this, you have apologised to your son, part of being a parent is admitting when you get something wrong, which we all do from time to time. None of us received a qualification in parenting as we gave birth, fostered or adopted a child.
    The important thing is to make sure he feels that he can still talk to you without the worry that you will jump to the worse conclusion.

You will get over it.

When the children move up to Senior school, they are all trying to find their place in the form group and so on. It sounds to me like you son was doing just fine, making new friends and settling in well and the other lad had a visit from the green eyed monster. he might be finding it more difficult to make friends and feeling left out. Maybe this is something you could suggest to your son if you haven't already and have a chat about it from that aspect.
  • thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my boy has just stated seniors. In his first week he has made a whole batch of new friends and seems to be happy and is enjoying himself.

On Saturday he received a text from a very good friend who he went to juniors with, who he plays sports outside of school with and who he walks to senior school with saying that he had told his Mum that my son had been pushing him around and had been bullying him. He said that my sons new friends were a bunch of bullys who had been picking on the other kids all week and that my son was playing along with it. To say I was shocked was an understatement as 24 hours earlier they had walked home from school together and seemed to be fine. We questioned our son who denied all knowledge and as they share no lessons, are not in the same form or house we wondered where this bullying was happening. But I doubted my son as I thought there's no smoke without fire.

We took my son round to the boys house to see if we could get them to talk and sort this out and my son denied the bullying and the other boy insisted that my son was lying. In the end they agreed to be friends and shook hands and we left.

It has really shaken me up though as it is completely out of character for my boy to behave this way. He is a gentle giant and I have never known him to pick on anyone - he is usually the one that gets picked on.

The following morning we took our son to training and although the two boys were cool with one another it all seemed fine until my son tackled the boy and the other boy launched himself at my son. He punched him in the jaw twice and was pulled away from my son before he managed to plant his studs in my boys chest, but he still went in for another kick before he was dragged away again. My son didn't retaliate though - just rolled away and put his hands up to protect himself. Which is completely in his character as he isn't a fighter.

We let the coach sort it out and the Grandad took the other boy home after we had made it clear that his behaviour was unacceptable.

A couple of hours later we got a phone call - expecting more confrontation I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone calm down, so I didn't call back until the evening. But I am then confronted with the Mum and the boy apologising because the boy had admitted to his Granddad that he had lied about all of the accusations and made it all up. For what reason I am not sure - we can only assume, but I feel terrible about it all. Even though it has proven that my son was telling the truth and had not been bullying the other boy. The mother was very apologetic, assured us that he was being punished and admonished the boy for behaving that way to a loyal friend and said she would understand if my son never wanted to speak to her son again.

I feel so naive to have believed the other boy, why did I doubt my son? We gave my son a really hard time, even though we couldn't really believe it. I just feel terrible. My son is going to spend a couple of weeks away from this other boy, walk to school with other friends and then see how he feels in a few weeks time about the situation. I am still nervous though that there may be repercussions at his new school, even though the mother has promised that there won't be. But how can I trust him now. Why do that to a friend though - it's horrible. Why try to discredit his new friends as well? I should feel better as my son is in the clear but I don't.

Boys will be Boys.

Dont worry, he will kick someones ass soon:D