Options

Most annoying things other drivers do?

ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wanted to see if mine matches anyone else, and to find out what everyone else hates on the road.

For me it's drivers coming right up behind me in their car to force me to move to the left hand lane, when they can clearly see I'm overtaking another car. And I always find the absolute idiots are in VW Passat's or Vauxhall Insignias...sometimes an Audi too.

No offence to anyone that drives those, I'm sure you're not as bad as the ones I encounter :D

Comments

• Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The driver today who was so intent on following me right up my derriere that they didn't notice I'd indicated and moved to the pavement to park, and so got annoyed that they found themselves by the pavement instead of in the road driving along :D

Don't follow cars, people, watch them but watch everything else too :D
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Where do I start LOL :D

Drivers that are talking to a passsenger and totally forgetting the car behind them going about 15 in a 30. Even worse if the car in front is lost.....

Drivers that slow down for you to pull out but don't flash you - You have to be a mind reader.

Drivers that don't understand average speed cameras and still come up your bum flashing you.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I was driving up a slip road with a give way at the end to join a dual carriage way and I stopped until it was safe to pull out. The idiot driver behind was repeatedly pumping his horn because I stopped. I was in a car accident last year which wasn't my fault it left me with whiplash for months and I am very careful driving. It annoys me when other drivers are reckless sitting right up your bumper behind or overtaking at a bad bend or overtaking with on coming traffic and just making it with seconds to spare.
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah as above . I sometimes wonder if the idiots who come right up behind me have dodgy eyesight to be honest , if. I have to slam the brakes for whatever reason we are al beggared as they'd have no time to react . Many , many years ago when I should have known better - I used to pull into the side , let them pass and then drive right up the backside for awhile . I lused to think that they may have thought twice in the future .
    I wouldn't do that these days as I'd probably get some crazy guy with a knife or a gun or something .

Other things that irritate me are the numpty young women who have to text whilst they are behind me in slow moving traffic . I see them in my mirror tapping away and giggling at the replies they receive . One day I'm gonna get shunted in the rear by one of these retards . Finally the idiots who overtake me on the inside on motorways ! When has this ever been a good idea ? Why not overtake on the right side ( rather than the unexpected inside lane ) ???

Aghhhhhh !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Drivers that don't understand average speed cameras and still come up your bum flashing you.

There's some set up on the A1 at Scotch Corner at the moment, it's been heavily publicised on the local news that police will prosecute and the amount of drivers they already have with the average speed cameras. Yet you get idiot after idiot swerving in and out of lanes thinking they'll beat the 50mph limit, or flashing their lights at you to hurry up. No way am I losing my license because they can't slow down for 12 miles!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fly past me because I haven't instantly jumped from 30 miles an hour to NSL. Or indeed overtake because me going the speed limit isn't quick enough for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 weeks ago I was being followed rather closely by some young idiot on a moped, wanting me to go faster than the speed limit. We reached a really horrible local mini-roundabout that also has an exit from the Tesco just before the roundabout, so it seems like the exit is part of the mini-roundabout but it isn't (great planning, road planners!).

I had to make an emergency stop as somebody was exiting this road thinking they were then going out onto the mini roundabout (whoever decided a junction wasn't enough, mini roundabouts are the most stupid creation) and, of course, Mr Moped went straight into the back of my car but, because I had refused to go faster, all he did was bounce in his seat. He swore a lot and I ignored him, as he was fine :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and cars that don't follow the very obvious instructions about what lane to be in on a roundabout. They're heavily painted on the road ahead and signposted, it's just an idiot who doesn't read them. Then panics when they realise they're in the wrong lane
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    it's 2015 in a few hours and not one of them uses their hover conversion despite Goldie Wilson III giving them a good deal on it
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get into my driveway I have to turn right across a pavement next to a corner shop. I get really annoyed by drivers coming the opposite direction flashing me to go ahead of them and then getting annoyed and gesticulating because I decide that I'd rather not run over the pedestrians they haven't spotted in the way!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's what they don't do, and that's indicate, particularly at roundabouts.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a set of lights in Limehouse that stay on red for about 3 or 4 minutes (it's a 5 way junction) and then on green for about 30 seconds. Annoyingly some drivers sit there (on green) faffing about when they should be gone. The queue that can build up because of this can be quite long. We sit there for long enough, so be ready to go when the lights change please ... (especially you Mr Honda Accord man yesterday afternoon) :(:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and cars that don't follow the very obvious instructions about what lane to be in on a roundabout. They're heavily painted on the road ahead and signposted, it's just an idiot who doesn't read them. Then panics when they realise they're in the wrong lane
    My issue is with some of the people that design some of the roundabouts around here, one of them nobody knows which lane to be in, there are too many lanes on the roundabout when there are a lot fewer exits off it, it's chaotic. A well-labelled, well designed roundabout can work really well, a badly designed one (or, should I say, a badly painted one :D) can cause no amount of chaos and more than a few accidents. They aren't always the driver's fault.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    It's what they don't do, and that's indicate, particularly at roundabouts.

Or flash the indicator once usually as they are completing a manoeuvre.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    There's a set of lights in Limehouse that stay on red for about 3 or 4 minutes (it's a 5 way junction) and then on green for about 30 seconds. Annoyingly some drivers sit there (on green) faffing about when they should be gone. The queue that can build up because of this can be quite long. We sit there for long enough, so be ready to go when the lights change please ... (especially you Mr Honda Accord man yesterday afternoon) :(:p

Aww a Local - seems funny seeing Limehouse on Digital Spy :D:D

I know where you mean! drives me mad :)
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Coming home this evening, I have to go straight across a mini roundabout.

Now, when I was learning to drive, traffic from the right has right of way (clue there then),yet he was beeping the horn and generally being an idiot. .
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Use the left hand lane of a dual carriageway roundabout to take an exit to the right, often cutting right across both lanes that can head straight on. Get in the right hand lane then move across left when you need to exit morons.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aww a Local - seems funny seeing Limehouse on Digital Spy :D:D

I know where you mean! drives me mad :)

Ah, a fellow sufferer ... :D I used to live on The Isle Of Dogs and this was my daily commute. :o I still have nightmares.

Apart from the terrible road system, I love the whole area. :cool:
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    People who take an age to overtake and use up lane 3 for like a minute! Overtaking is a swift, smooth manoevre, not a "dawdle" past the car in lane 2!

When you see my Insignia up your arse, TRY MOVING QUICKER! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty tolerant of mistakes, as everyone makes them, but it's the conscious selfish decisions that I get sick and tired of.

Tailgaters, everyone hates it, yet so many people do it. I'm driving to the limit whether we think it's a sensible limit or not, if you want to get past, overtake. Oddly they never even try though? Occasionally get numpties that sit right up your chuff on dual carriageways when there is an empty 2nd lane they can use.

45 MPH everywhere drivers. Right up your backside in 30 zones, or speeding through them if they're in front. 45 MPH joining a dual carriageway. 45 MPH in NSL roads. By extension, people who can't drive on country roads, braking like hell to 20 MPH at every corner and flooring it on a straight so it's treacherous overtaking. If you do try and overtake, they floor it, probably saying to their passenger "look at that tosser, not a safe driver like me!"

People who don't indicate, I often wonder if they get annoyed when they're sitting waiting to pull out of a junction or roundabout and some inconsiderate person has turned in/off without indicating? Total laziness.

People who have misaligned headlights pointing at the moon, or one out and use fog lights to compensate.

People who park in laybys outside of shops pointing the wrong way. Usually wait until you're RIGHT up to them, then they cut across the road front of you (leaving dipped HID 1000000 lumens headlights pointing right into your eyes at night), forcing you to brake and be blinded whilst they get parked. They then cause havoc pulling away again as they can't see oncoming traffic so then pull out into your path or just block the lane off if there's someone coming the other way. As long as they save themselves a five metre walk, it's all good.

People who sit on the wrong side of the road with dipped beams on, thanks, I can now see nothing at all. If they genuinely don't know that lights are dipped depending on what side of the road you drive on to avoid dazzle, do they not realise they too get blinded when other people do it?

People who are turning right out of a busy junction, so they pull across the lane of traffic coming from their right until the left lane is clear. Great, you're too important to wait, so now I've got to wait too.

People who park over two spaces, either through "my car is posh and I don't want it bashed" or being inept. I don't want my car bashed either, but it's a fact of life, usually done by the inept people who park over two spaces.

People who park on corners, opposite junctions, and right on top of junctions. I and everyone else has to pull out blind/drive on the wrong side of the road blind now, thanks, as long as you saved yourself five yards of walking. Do they not hate pulling out blind too?

(As a pedestrian) People who park so far over the path that it's hard to walk on, never mind having a pushchair or wheelchair.

People who see you're turning right at a roundabout, but then pull out and drive in the left lane when you get up to them. Gives you a fright as it looks like they're going to drive into you, but they tend to drive parallel with you in the left lane, stopping you from taking your exit.

I hate it when people sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake. USE THE HANDBRAKE! 10 times worse when it's a new fauxX4 with eye level LED lights. Burns your eyes out.

I all of this selfishness happen every single day.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    When the person behind you beeps their horn at you as though you have cut out in front of them when all you have done is wait for the chevrons to disappear before entering the slip road to turn right and they haven't!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    People who think that traffic lights which have gone from green to amber mean 'speed up, they're about to go red'. It means 'stop' you utter *****.

Fair enough if you're in front of me but if I'm stopping, please don't make me have to jump forward to avoid you going into the back of me. I've lost count of the number of times this has happened.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty tolerant of mistakes, as everyone makes them, but it's the conscious selfish decisions that I get sick and tired of

I hate it when people sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake. USE THE HANDBRAKE! 10 times worse when it's a new fauxX4 with eye level LED lights. Burns your eyes out.

I all of this selfishness happen every single day.

That's normal practice for me as I drive an automatic. If I were stopped for a longer period of time I would shift to netural and apply the handbrake tho. But for short stops, it stays in Drive with the foot brake active (the handbrake wouldn't be strong enough to prevent the car creeping in Drive, & lots of "handbrake on" alarms would start going off as well.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Lack of lane discipline.
    Tailgating.
    Not bothering to use their indicators.
    General all round aggression and lack of patience.
    Using their phones to text or even watch video.. I see lots of this when I am on my bike. They sit with the phone in their laps and alternate between looking down and a quick glance up to check that they aren't about to kill some poor bugger.
    I have noticed two things, firstly, this become far mor common since the cuts in police numbers came in. They are much less likely to be caught.
    Secondly women a by far the worst offenders.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Drivers not indicating.

You are sitting at a junction on a busy road and a space in traffic appears. Unfortunately there is one car coming the other way. He isn't indicating but at the last second he turns into your street meaning you could have come out the junction had you known he was going to turn. So you get stuck waiting for another few minutes before you can come out.

And generally aggressive drivers. Those who speed around, don't indicate, drive very close to other cars, sit at traffic lights and look over then take off when the lights change as though they are at the Monaco GP. They are all just accidents waiting to happen.