Options

Negative attitudes towards the parties

mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
UKIP - racist, biggoted and childish. Refuge for people too stupid and/or right wing to be Tories.
Conservative - only care about the rich. Demonise anyone on any benefit and are out of touch with the concerns of real people.
Lib Dem - turncoats, will do and say whatever is necessary to get where they want to be
Labour - incompetent with the economy, will tax to death anyone with aspirations.
SNP - only care about Scotland and will screw England over with their Scotland-biased leftist policies
Plaid - a poor man's SNP
Green - arrogant middle class hypocrites, work-shy tofu-eating tree-huggers and mangy students that don't know about real life
Northern Irish Parties - hate each other and have no interest of anything outside the province
RESPECT - fringe party for non-war supporting disillusioned Labour voters, who now loathe the lib dems, think the Greens are muppets, and UKIP is too right wing

Comments

• Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you entirely. Wait, what?
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Not much point in voting then.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason why turnout is going to be an all time low.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These aren't necessarily my views, but I think they are a fairly good summary of the reasons why people say they don't like a particular party.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an argument here for PR because then you could vote in preference of who you dislike least to most?

Really the UK does need to rethink the FPTP system in a mature way, like the Scottish Referendum?
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed with that. I'm not voting this time round. I've experienced life under the three main parties and they're all terrible.

Apart from the main 3, the only other choices are people that don't stand any chance of getting elected (waste of time) or people that want us out of Europe (I want to stay in).

The only way to win is not to play.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    Agreed with that. I'm not voting this time round. I've experienced life under the three main parties and they're all terrible.

Apart from the main 3, the only other choices are people that don't stand any chance of getting elected (waste of time) or people that want us out of Europe (I want to stay in).

The main parties don't care if you vote. They'll ride the gravy train even if each mp only got one vote each (I'm assuming they'd vote for themselves).

Voting for a "no chance" party is a better protest than not voting, and as they have no chance, feel free to pick anyone of them.

I'm toying with green, who have no chance in my constituency just to show my distrust of the three main parties.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no fan of the the party system or the Lib Dems, but I get why they went into government like they did, the Tories and Lib Dems were only combination that produced a majority government .

What troubles me more, is once they were in government they turned there backs on their polices and those who voted for them, I am amazed at how stable this collation government has been, I was expecting MPs from both sides but most Lib Dems to reach a breaking point and walk.

The next election I predict will be utter chaos with no easy call on which coalition of parties should be in government.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This kind of thing doesn't help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31580374

Interesting difference in reaction from both parties. A marginal win from Labour and a typical reaction from the Tories.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The parties (all of them) bring it on themselves.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »

Cue the "if you don't vote, you have no right to complain" nonsense :(
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to see why the SNP one you've put down would be a negative thing. Not as if they run in England :-)
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It is understandable but cynical viewpoint. Our political parties have become so divorced from the voters that now rather than vote for the government you want - it is more a case of voting for the party which is the least worst option.

In a sense it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. People are so disengaged from the political process that they do not get involved in it, which just leads to them getting less involved in the political process.

Their really is only two ways to break this.

Join the political party most aligned with what you believe and change it from within

Form your own political party - although note it took the Labour Party over two decades to go from being formed to getting a sniff of power and over 40 years before it formed a majority government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is understandable but cynical viewpoint. Our political parties have become so divorced from the voters that now rather than vote for the government you want - it is more a case of voting for the party which is the least worst option.

In a sense it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. People are so disengaged from the political process that they do not get involved in it, which just leads to them getting less involved in the political process.

Their really is only two ways to break this.

Join the political party most aligned with what you believe and change it from within

Form your own political party - although note it took the Labour Party over two decades to go from being formed to getting a sniff of power and over 40 years before it formed a majority government.

Or vote for a party that will introduce PR, whatever their other policies.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Or vote for a party that will introduce PR, whatever their other policies.

If you agree with PR (I don't) - think of the policies of the Liberals that fell by the wayside with the coalition - now imagine a system whereby you have no idea what policies will be sacrificed on the alter of being close to power. There are things both coalition parties pushed for when in opposition which they bottled when in power.

That is before you get to the weaker governments as to get anything done as they negotiate every bit of policy.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is going to please everyone, and by the time you reach the top you are corrupted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you agree with PR (I don't) - think of the policies of the Liberals that fell by the wayside with the coalition - now imagine a system whereby you have no idea what policies will be sacrificed on the alter of being close to power. There are things both coalition parties pushed for when in opposition which they bottled when in power.

That is before you get to the weaker governments as to get anything done as they negotiate every bit of policy.

I'd rather have the policies that 2 or 3 parties agree on (representing the majority of voters) than the policies of one party voted in on a third of the vote.

Also the vast majority of voters have zero influence on the result of the election. Anyone living in a safe seat will be ignored by all parties. No wonder apathy is so high.