Contact Lense general

javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

I've had contacts for about 9months or so now and was wondering how people get around the washing of hands etc before you take them out or put them in?

I have a problem when I wash my hands thoroughly with soap and do the cleaning but bubbles still appear even though they are rinsed!! So that can't be good for your contacts!

Then also how to people dry their hands? Every tissue I use leaves dust and recently I've been using a cloth which is very good, but obviously will get dirty and if I wash it it doesn't really become as effective.

I'm getting more worried because my right eye had a little bit or red so thought maybe I wasn't cleaning properly or something. But yeah, how do others get around the cleaning hands bit?

Comments

• MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey,

I've had contacts for about 9months or so now and was wondering how people get around the washing of hands etc before you take them out or put them in?

I have a problem when I wash my hands thoroughly with soap and do the cleaning but bubbles still appear even though they are rinsed!! So that can't be good for your contacts!

Then also how to people dry their hands? Every tissue I use leaves dust and recently I've been using a cloth which is very good, but obviously will get dirty and if I wash it it doesn't really become as effective.

I'm getting more worried because my right eye had a little bit or red so thought maybe I wasn't cleaning properly or something. But yeah, how do others get around the cleaning hands bit?

I'm going to tell truth and say I don't use soap. I just wash them, and dry with kitchen towel. Only a few times I've had a problem whereby a bit of dust stayed on my finger but I just wipe it by rubbing it under my thumb. And are you rinsing properly??
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I generally don't always use soap to wash my hands either because it always 'comes' back when I rub my lenses to clean them! But I generally wash my face first before I take them out so sometimes don't have the option!

I think so... rinsing the lenses you mean? Will try the kitchen roll next time..
  • MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I generally don't always use soap to wash my hands either because it always 'comes' back when I rub my lenses to clean them! But I generally wash my face first before I take them out so sometimes don't have the option!

I think so... rinsing the lenses you mean? Will try the kitchen roll next time..

No I mean rinsing your hands. Perhaps it's your soap??? Try using Simple, it's unperfumed and "simple" lol.
  • NativeMoonNativeMoon Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    If your soap is leaving behind residue on your hand then change soap. Rinsing your hands with water isnt getting them clean and you are risking an eye infection and contaminated lenses carrying on like that. You should also be drying your hands with a towel that doesnt shed fibres to be assured of line-free hands.

http://www.clecontactlenses.com/guide.html
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be giving you so much trouble like you're experiencing. I think you are perhaps using too much soap if you can't rinse it off properly. Ease off the amount, and just dry your hands on a clean towel. What kind of lenses do you have? If they are hard or gas permeable they shouldn't be causing you so much hassle.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem with soap residues on contact lenses. Rinse your hands properly, use a towel that's been washed several times, and it won't shed fibres. The lens should only touch your fingertips anyway.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I mean rinsing your hands. Perhaps it's your soap??? Try using Simple, it's unperfumed and "simple" lol.

It's just a standard Radox soap... Will give Simple a go though as its nearly finished anyways.
    NativeMoon wrote: »

Thanks, I will give this link a read. I mean I do know what I'm supposed to do to take care of them, I just can't seem to... :o
    It shouldn't be giving you so much trouble like you're experiencing. I think you are perhaps using too much soap if you can't rinse it off properly. Ease off the amount, and just dry your hands on a clean towel. What kind of lenses do you have? If they are hard or gas permeable they shouldn't be causing you so much hassle.

I just use one pump but will try and get less next time I use it. They are also soft monthly lenses. They aren't actually a problem themselves just the cleaning bit which makes me think I'm not doing it right even though I am. So was wondering if there was maybe a specific soap or towel you could buy.
    Forum Member
    I use Radox (amongst others) and dont have any problems - you have to be thorough with washing and drying your hands no matter what soap you use.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having handled all kinds of lenses in work, you don't need any specific soap or towels. Any kind will do, be it pump dispenser or a bar of something, plus a clean towel. You don't need to be so concerned honestly! Your lenses will be coming out of their storage solution, and are balancing on your fingertips for just a few seconds. Believe me, some people are in such a hurry they don't always wash their hands every time,so just use a bit less of whatever soap so there's less to rinse off and you'll be fine.
    Forum Member
    Start off correctly by getting into the habit of always using proper hygienic procedures so that they become automatic.

http://www.clecontactlenses.com/guide.html
    Useful tips for contact lens care
    The following tips apply to all contact lens types:

ALWAYS

* Wash, rinse and dry your hands thoroughly before handling your lenses.

http://www.college-optometrists.org/index.aspx/pcms/site.Public_Related_Links.Contact_Lenses.Contact_Lenses_home/

I've been wearing contactg lenses for 32 years - get into the habit of proper handling and there wont be any forgetting. You'll kick yourself after a bout of conjuctivitis or worse if you decide its ok to be slack for whatever reason.... There is no justifying not cleaning your hands full stop - and anyone dispensing lenses worth their salt would make this abundantly clear to you.